Bake
Years ago

How many Aussies have made the NBA via Europe

With Luke Schencher and Brad Newley supposedly seeking out clauses in case of offers from NBA or European teams. I was wondering how many Aussies have been recruited to the NBL via Europe. If either or both are overlooked in the NBA draft and accept European contracts are they then forfeiting future opportunities to join the NBA.

To my knowlege the only Aussies to make it in tne NBA are Longley (college system), Gaze (NBL), Heal (NBL), Bradtke (NBL), Bogut (college system) and Schenscher (college system).

Topic #10996 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Supposedly, David Andersen could head to the NBA if he wanted?

Remember, it's not necessarily that they want to crack the NBA via Europe, but that if they can't make it in the NBA, Europe also pays a fair bit more than the NBL.

Reply #127434 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Link

Newley gets a mention at the end of this Sports Illustrated article.

Reply #127438 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

Andersen was drafted while playing in Europe.

Reply #127440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze (Seaton Hall) and especially Shane Heal would have been given that NBA opportunity because they performed in international competition (Olympics, WC and Goodwill Games) against the USA.

Mark Bradtke would also have gained his NBA contract in Philadelphia because he has a good 1992 Barcelona Olympic games, his early days in the NBL would not have even been noticed.

Not taking anything away for the NBL because it a good league for the demographic it supports but the NBA would not have even noticed how they would have performed. Australian player who have failed to get drafted (over 22 years of age) and have already been signed up by a US agents should be asking for NBA veterans camp invitations and trying to get a roster spot from there. Sammy Mac, Matthew Neilson, Chris Anstey, are all good enough to play in the NBA but are not willing to sit on the bench.

Reply #127446 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Not taking anything away for the NBL because it a good league for the demographic it supports but the NBA would not have even noticed how they would have performed.

Doesn't explain how Ben Pepper and CJ Bruton got drafted to the NBA.

Reply #127454 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

CJ was playing college when got drafted. Pepper, I cant explain how he got drafted!

Reply #127455 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

By all accounts one Simon Dwight had a firm contract offer from the Hornets back in '98 or so but declined cause he thought he had time to improve here (or was waiting for a better offer from a better team)... Time: we have all the time in the world - but it's never enough...

He was after all one of our best players in the U-23 WCs in Melbourne - he iced the final with a big three (if i recall)... Man he was a great young player back then... So much potential...

Reply #127464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt Doug Overton get a call up to Washington after playing 1-2 seasons here?

Reply #127467 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Doug had been drafted previous to coming to the NBL though (2nd rounder '91 i think)... So the theory holds with him...

Reply #127471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stephen Jackson (Sydney) too was drafted, came to the NBL and then returned to the NBA three years after being drafted.

Rick Brunson (Adelaide, 1996) - when was he drafted? Didn't play in the NBA until 1998 or so?

Reply #127472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trahair hit the winning three in U23's. Just goes to show with Dwight that you have to go at the right time. There is so much other talent around the world that if you dont go when teams show some interest you may lose that opportunity. I wonder if Newley may have made the same mistake - I personally think he was a better chance at being drafted last year.

Reply #127474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the article doddo mentions Newley is one of 13 international players in the radar. Its gonna be tough for Newley to beat out guys in that list let alone the quality batch of americans this year.

Reply #127475 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754