tutes
Years ago

Horvath trials for Tall Blacks

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4896

Story is on nbl.com.au

Interesting to see Horvath has applied for New Zealand citizenship.

If he is successful for NZ citizenship, does he classify as an import in the NBL? If not, maybe its worth the Sixers looking at signing him?

Topic #11047 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the sixers chasing everyone who is ever thinking of becoming naturalised?

Reply #128186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In that case, he could play as a naturalised player and would be useful to a team.

Reply #128187 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Have been told that the issue in this case is how long the NZ government takes to issue citizenship.

Here it is a relatively quick proceess, there i believe it can take up to 5 years to get the papers.

So he could end up a NZ citizen but when he does his playing days would be limited.

Reply #128189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher
Newley (or Import once Horvath or Ballinger are naturalised)
Ballinger
Horvath
Luke

That's a nice starting 5

Bench

Davidson
Ng
Sutton
Cooper
Mastrovich

Reply #128190 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Isaac - I sense some venom there???

Or am i reading too much between the lines... Two words - Jeff Brown... Horvath is an NBA All Star now (as if by magic!!!)...

Reply #128192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reading between the lines - just saying that he'd be a more valuable pick-up as a naturalised player.

Reply #128193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers don't want horvath. has been let go remember..

Reply #128194 | Report this post

RoadRunner  
Years ago

Mastrovich, although a NZ citizen apparently cannot play as a Tall Black because he has played for Australia at Junior level. Horvath has played for the USA at Junior level yet is eligible to play as a Tall Black once naturalised. (usually fairly automatic after marrying a kiwi)

I wonder what the difference is? I am sure there is a reasonable explanation.

Reply #128211 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Road Runner the papers are automatic the time it takes to get them though is the issue.

Happy to be corrected on this.

Reply #128219 | Report this post

RoadRunner  
Years ago

Yes Kent you are correct, did not mean to imply that the time to get them through is automatic.

However, according to the Australian NBL web site with its information about Mastrovich and Horvath, Nick is inelligible to be a Tall Black as he has played for the USA already at the international level.

Reply #128226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd sign horvath, i doubt we would get luck but if he become a 'local' it would help us alot and hes only a 9.

Reply #128235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754