Anonymous
Years ago

Schenscher unlikely to return......

Schenscher is unlikely to return to the Sixers and NBL for the 2007/08 season as he has his sights firmly set on the NBA & Europe. Schenscher agent has advised teh Sixers not to offer Luke a contract for this reason! Sixers TM has stated that they need to start considering other options. Full story;

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4903

Topic #11055 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The alternative big man free agents were listed as Pepper (Dragons?), Melmeth (Blaze?), Moore and Davidson (young, not a starter, have heard some questions over his enthusiasm?).

They have an import spot to use, but should save that as insurance for Newley, whatever happens there?

Reply #128404 | Report this post

Kr81  
Years ago

did phil find any other options when he went to the USA ?

Reply #128405 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I say let's go after Davidson. That way, we'll have at least two Davidsons and I'm happy to spend my lunch break hitting the WWW to see if there are any more out there.

If the Sixers refuse to recruit decently, then at the very least they should take a 'novelty value' approach. Hands up who wouldn't want to see the world's first all-Davidson starting five?

Reply #128406 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i think the 36ers should offer Derek Moore or a guy like Davidson the spot, if they do have a shot at Mottram or even Helliwell go for it aswell, Burston, Rice and Rampton may also be worth a look, and if we fail to get any of these guys i wouldnt be too upset to see a young Centre like a Simon Conn or another guy returning from College given a crack and some decent opportunity. Given the style of play the 36ers have not being Centre orientated i think it would be wiser to use the import spot as 2/3 man to either play along side Maher and Newley or be Newleys insurance in that case play with Davdison and Maher

Reply #128407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basically the Sixers are stuffed hey Isaac.....there is no way Newley will play here even if he signs with the Sixers! Which will leave us lacking in either the C, SF or SG positions! At this rate, Davidson will be the starting PG and Maher will be the SG.....small line up and so far they are yet to sign anyone with any real showtime!!

Reply #128409 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Fair point Bo. A Davidson start 5, A Smith bench and a deveolpment squad of Ng's.

Reply #128410 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see a team winning enough games if they're starting Andrew Rice in the middle, though he is rated only a two.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Larry Davidson coming off the bench, but again, not strong enough to start on a competitive team.

Moore gets raised every time, but didn't he average 6 and 4 last time he was here?

Don't know about the 36ers being stuffed, but they have a challenge ahead of themselves unless there's an ace up a sleeve.

Reply #128412 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Isn't Simon Dwight making a come back??

Reply #128413 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

C Moore/Cooper
F Ballinger/L. Davidson
F Import/???
G Maher/Ng
G Davidson/Sutton

Would Larry Davidson be better then Oakley? The team would still lack any real fire power.

They would have to sign a good backup SF to be any chance of being competitive.

Reply #128416 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Helliwell!!! Oh puhleeeeze... Then we might as well bring back Paul Rees - at least he can score in the post without travelling half the time... Or get Jason Eversteyn signed (at least he would come cheap)...

Reply #128417 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah, he's going to the Tigers as well!

Reply #128418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee Schenscher not returning - who would have thought?

Didnt see that one coming.

Reply #128419 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Derek Moore would be the best option other than a Melmeth or Pepper, even if he did only average 6 and 4 last time i still reckon he could average 10pts 8 rbds and 1-2 blocks, didnt he put up similar numbers at somepoint with the kings or even his stint with the crocs??
Simon Dwight if he was interested in making a comeback and was going to be at a reasonable price would be worth the gamble IMO, if hes only average just have him split the minutes with Cooper, but if he gets to even close to what he used to be we would have a great pick up and i think his style of play would be a good fit for the 36ers! Obviously a Schenscher, Melmeth or Pepper would be the ideal pick ups for the Centre position but i cant see the 36ers getting any of them unfortunatly

Reply #128427 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think Derek Moore would be the best option. Gets up and down the floor pretty well and would be a good fit. He's played under Phil before so he'll sort of know what he's getting into.

Dwight can still play big time as about 3 months ago I was his poster bitch, but he won't be released to play until after October anyway.

Reply #128428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not so sure Pepper or Melmeth would fit the Sixers game plan.....remember when we enticed Rogers back and to a lesser extent Horvath last year, they were not that effective in Phils system!! We dont require a big scoring option! We need someone who is athletic(can run the floor well), can play really good defence, can pass and hit the open shot when needed.....dont know who this could be, but think thats what we should be going after!

Reply #128431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Derek Moore currently and what point value would he be??

Reply #128432 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Another option would to be go and see if someone like Martin Iti would be interested in coming back to Australia. The chances of him getting drafted are minimal so he'll need to start thinking about the next stop after College.

Should of gone after Matt Smith or Khazzouh a little harder IMO.

Reply #128433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So far Sixers team looks cr@p!!!

PG - Maher/Davidson/Sutton
SG - Newley(doubt it)/Import/Ng
SF - ?????/Import???
PF - Ballinger
C - Cooper

They have a whole lot of work to do!!!

Reply #128434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Knight?

Reply #128435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I second your motion for Khazzouh or Smith TR!!

Reply #128436 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would Dwight still be rated high in points even though he has retired??

Reply #128437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does everyone think of the Sixers roster so far, especially with talks of Copeland to be re-signed......It is looking once again as a recycled team! Only changes have been Ballinger for Horvath and the addition of Davidson.....Im prediciting a second successive no play off appearance for Phil and the Sixers!

Reply #128438 | Report this post

White Goodman  
Years ago

Seriously - What are we expecting to get here.

Straight back in to the finals or building a franchise that will be competitive in a few years.

Lets just cut the crap and start building a young team that has a future with some crazy highlight reel import who will put bums on seats for 1-3 years.

Some people do not realise how much our team sucks.

or should we just go over the cap like those eastern state teams.

Reply #128440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with signing young blokes.....Phil doesnt as he is about to announce the re-signing of the oldest player in the league!!!

Reply #128442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwight Please HE is the MAN

Reply #128469 | Report this post

dee - mak  
Years ago

How about...

Davidson / Sutton
Maher / NG / Copeland
Tucker / Copeland
Ballinger / Rigby
Rampton / Cooper

Dodman, Burdon

62pts.

Thats a realistic lineup , (No Newley or Schenscher) Probaly not top 4 material but definately could cause some upsets, Some local youth, ( Sutton, Ng ) local legend (Mahersy) 2 experienced imports known for racking up the stats (Ballinger, Tucker) Solid contributors (Coops, Rampton, Rigby)
and only 1 grandpa (Copes) Of course Nash would have to be released if this was to happen, otherwise just swap Rigby for Nash. If someone was to get injured mid season there would be points to throw around at a replacement. I dont know what u all think but I would buy season tickets to watch that team play. Thoughts?

Reply #128471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats a shite team dee-mak......if you would pay money to see that team play then you are obviously easily amused!! Recruitment has been no better this year even after we are in a better financial position and when you consider the players that were available......we look just as cr@p as last year with no real development going on!!

Reply #128473 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Luke's not going to be playing for the 36ers next year??? SHOCK!!!!

Serously, I've been saying for quite some time that Luke (and Newley) won't be in the NBL next year, be it the NBA or Europe, it wasn't worth trying so hard to get him.

Planning a team around two guys that would consider playing in the NBL a 'failure' will always come back to you on the ass.

I just hope they have been in contact with some other bigs and not just Schensch, cause otherwise, the Sixers ARE stuffed.

Reply #128484 | Report this post

3guardfront  
Years ago

I give credit to dee - mak (#128471) for at least he is thinking outside the square and coming up with some different suggestions as to whats been offered before. This is unlike the anon brigade (#128473) who find it so easy to hide behind their lack of face!

Reply #128538 | Report this post

JockeyClub  
Years ago

In the end , the 36er's are playing the same game as everyone else on the recruiting front and have little different to offer then any other NBL team. So , why would anyone bother coming to play in Adelaide ? The 36er's need to find a way of seperating themselves from the rest and creating something to entice these guys to come. I agree that there is enough young talent coming through that the 336er's should set themselves up as the "young guns of Australia" and find a couple of experienced players( Mahersy is one ) to mentor these kids through.

The big issue is that I don't think Phil is the one to coach a team like this ...

Reply #128557 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Right now, the Dragons are setting themselves up in that "Young Guns" mould. It's hard to create a second "Young Guns" team and market it to players and spectators as something unique.

KG.

Reply #128575 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

I just hope he doesn't need "6 weeks to gel" like last season... use pre-season to its potential not just bum around and kill time!

Reply #128576 | Report this post

tutes  
Years ago

Tucker sucks
Copeland sucks

We need Chris Williams or Carlos Powell if its true that we've re-signed Copeland

Reply #128585 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

does every one suck tutes ?

must be holidays again

Reply #128595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thomo, I'd say it's rather obvious from tutes less than great post that he doesn't think Chris Williams or Carlos Powell suck. So your question is either a poor attempt at humour or an example of your less than stellar thought process.

Reply #128637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754