DICKO
Years ago

Sixers to re-sign Copeland

Yep.....You have him again next season.

Topic #11058 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

you have got to be f'n kidding me!! well done Sixers.....I will not be renewing my membership!! Why the F would you re-sign him......we have way too many guards as is!!

Reply #128453 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I'd prefer to think we've re-signed Lanard Davidson.

Reply #128454 | Report this post

Roy  
Years ago

yeah lots of guards with his experience. if he is only playing 10-15 mins a game, please let me know why this is such a bad thing that u felt the need to fly of the handle like that

Reply #128456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you not watch him play last year....he is a major liability on both ends of the floor!! Good in his day, but needs to hang up the boots!!

Reply #128457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone give me a good reason as to why Copeland should be taking a roster spot with the Sixers??

Reply #128459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

An experienced foil to the younger Sutton and Ng?

Reply #128463 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

#128457: that was Lanard Copeland.

Instead, think of it in terms of we've re-signed Lanard Davidson.

No-one's ever heard of this guy, and we are then well on track to recruit at least 5 Davidsons, as per this thread.

I reckon we can still squeeze in Brad Newley-Davidson (to differentiate between the already-signed Brad Davidson) and maybe even David Davidson, even though he's signed with Melbourne.

And didn't Melbourne a few years ago have an athletic white import who was a Davidson, or Davison, or similar? Bennett Davidson? Let's get him out here.

Reply #128464 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Personally I like this signing, did anyone (apart from me) ever notice that in many of our losses last year, when we were down by 10+ Copeland was one of only a few players that showed any pride or respect for the team they were playing for.

In a season like last year, there werent many highlights but seeing Copes out there giving it all when everyone gave up was a good thing to see...

Reply #128465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im with clarky........
i saw copes force ot in geelong against the dragons even though we lost, he was smokin hot!......
and yeah a good guy to have around the club, brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm which can be good for team moral.
Apparently he was happy to stay with the club in some kind of coaching role, but they wanted him on the court for one more season.

Reply #128467 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bo, imagine the trouble for Case and Carf?!

Reply #128468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Copeland have 3 good games for us last year......remainder of the game he just threw up brick after brick, they werent even good looks at the basket! Bad decision IMO and at seasons end I think you will all agree!!

Isaac......if Ng still needs a mentor then he shouldnt be playing the game!! As for Sutton, I think he should be following his captains lead!!

Reply #128472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant beleive you people are applauding this move!! It didnt work last year, what makes you think it will work this year?? I thought everyone wanted the development of youth......looks like you all say one thing and want another??!!

Reply #128474 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

In one sense, it will be easier: "Davidson goes upstairs, and with his non-preferred hand, gets the user-friendly roll" etc.

And Stevie C can refer to everyone by their new nicknames: B-Dav, L-Dav and so on.

The team can also ditch the nickname "36ers" and move into the brave new world of hybrid one-name teams, eg the Kangaroos in the AFL: I give you the AdelDavidsons.

Reply #128476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whos next on the hit list?

Werner Linde?

Reply #128480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C ????/Cooper
F Ballinger/????
F ????/Copeland
G Maher/Ng
G Davidson/Sutton

Copeland should not be a backup SF.
He does provide a confidence booster and can hit threes and drive though.

C Moore/Cooper
F Ballinger/L.Davidson or Oakley
F Import/Copeland
G Maher/Ng
G B.Davidson/Sutton

Reply #128482 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

^^^Above my post

Reply #128487 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

"An experienced foil to the younger Sutton and Ng?"

Um, Brett Maher, anyone??

Reply #128497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its either Copeland or Nash, thats the word

Reply #128502 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It's Copeland.

That's the word.

Reply #128506 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Bo - How about David Davidson's son (if he has one) - Now that is a mouthful that would have Case and Carf all over the place - especially if his name was Sonny :)

Reply #128508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke. I too will not be renewing my season tickets. Pffff

Reply #128514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah DICKO what im saying is that if copeland has/will sign we won't see nash back or vice versa

Reply #128517 | Report this post

brick city  
Years ago

Thats a bad, bad team. There is nothing to look forward to. Same Coach, same system, same players. Ballinger replaces Horvath. There is no future in the team. At least when Port missed the AFL finals last year, supporters could see some hope with exciting youngsters coming through. Sixers have nothing like this. There is nothing for old Sixers fans to get excited about. And defiantly nothing for new Sixer fans to come on board. Not sure if they have a plan, but doesnt appear that way. Very disappointing

Reply #128520 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Flipping Useless!!!

Reply #128521 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah that is a terrible signing if they get him!!! He is TERRIBLE at defense and maybe one game out of 5 does he do any good offensively.

Reply #128524 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

Dicko, can you confirm he is signing as a player - I actually heard he was going to replace KB as the second assistant.

Reply #128527 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

heard the same thing replacing KB as and assistant allthough if it came down to nash or copeland i would take copeland he at least showed hear grunt and pride something the entire squad bar maher lacked last year

he was the only one to get in the face of another player,

Reply #128528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a farce. No season ticket for me next season.

Reply #128530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol, this thread is awesome.

Reply #128533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a farking joke! C'mon Mal, take control!

Reply #128537 | Report this post

3guardfront  
Years ago

Least when all the grumpy anons dont buy a season ticket, we wont know who they were! Losers.

Reply #128543 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I'm not buying a season ticket for the 6ers this year either..... Tossers!

Reply #128559 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

dicko hear i was thinking just how fickle sydney fans where,

thanks for the info as well dicko

Reply #128561 | Report this post

bester  
Years ago

Signing Copes is an excellent decision, he is a proven talent and how could any player have done well under Smyth last season, Smyth had no idea what to do with everyone, he had no plan when he signed them all and it showed. Hopefully Smyth picked up some coaching tips whilst in the USA and is finally ready to coach the team rather than chuck them in hot water and hope they bob up out of the water enough to hear the two times he actually yells out a play during the game. Phil needs to let Lenard play this year not bench hop him like a scape goat. Good decision ...welcome back Copes!

Reply #128562 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

all the whingers who arent going to renew tickets over one signing,get a life,why dont you wait and see the final team before passing judgement or are you just a bunch of front runners,as for brick city what planet have u been on,same players!! im sure we have no longer have farley,horvath,hill,nash,timmons matjovich. heres an idea lets just go out and sign a whole new team of 12 that will suddenly be a title contender cos thats so easy to do

Reply #128568 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

all these posts about people not renewing season tix, well piss off we don't want you! Your not real supporters! I'd go every week if I could cause I support my team... I think a few of you guys must be power or crows supporters too (similar attitudes)

Reply #128582 | Report this post

tutes  
Years ago

I'm against signing Copeland.. he's too inconsistent, has no future left and we have Maher and Davidson as experienced guards

But..
C'mon, we had to sign someone old!

Reply #128583 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

thomo, getting in the face of a "playa" out the front of the stag doesn't count!

Reply #128597 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

guess anyone has a snap point if ppl abuse them in public

Reply #128598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All these people congratulating this signing can you please tell me what Lanard can offer this club in one year......why is it so good??

Reply #128600 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

What it offers them this coming season is someone to help take a load off phil , in other words ( help coach the team )
The year after he will no doubt be offered a role within the sixers organizaton .
The bonus with keeping lanard involved is that if we another season remotely like the previous i would have no hesitation in handing the coaching reins to Ninnis and Copeland .
Thoughts ? DICKO be interested in your opinion .

Reply #128601 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

has this been confirmed as a signing as a player still hearing from other avenues its a assistants posistion,

rotate on this, not a bad theory imo would be interesting to see

Reply #128603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is an assistant position now available.......I can see the upside to having Lanard in this role, cant see the upside to having Lanard on the court?!?!?

Reply #128612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know......I dont think it is any coincedence that both Melbourne and Brisbane get rid of Copeland and they both win Championships!!!

Reply #128615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True but Melboune also lost Gaze that season while everybody knows how brisbane won it this year.

Reply #128617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are both suggesting that he was past it and can not offer a championship team anything! Clubs should be doing one of two things.....trying to win the championship or rebuilding......Copeland being signed aint gonna get you either one!!

Reply #128623 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Definitely as a player.

Reply #128642 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

All you people getting rid of your membership make me sick. You call yourself fans??? Ever heard of loyalty?? A real fan sticks with their team through thick and thin!

You'll be back when the Sixers start winning.

Reply #128719 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

And when do you think that may occur Nick?

Reply #128733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This potiential signing would have excited me in say 1997, not 2007.

Reply #128735 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

i think that there is a little more to brisbane winning the title than the fact they got rid of copeland,look at the number of players they got in and the fact they were paying double the salary cap.if copeland was the 8,9 or 10 on brisbanes team this year they still would have romped the title in

Reply #128781 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea Copeland could of easily played Mick Hills role for Brisbane. I think as a replacement for losing Brad Hill he is a good fit if they were planning on having Brad as they are a similar style of player, Copeland is probably still better than Hill right now. Sure there is the argument of Copelands age and bringing in a younger player instead would have its advantages, but Copeland would more likely be better than a rookie next year and if we are missing out on Newley, id say Davidson, Maher and Copeland will be the main guards used with Sutton and Ng also getting some court time, which as far as next years team is concerned is better than letting Copeland go for another rookie say Gerlach or Burdon, but then again in 5 years time your better off with the young guy in there, so there are pros and cons to either side of the argument. I'll support Copeland hapily as he also is one guy that does always play with some heart and did put up pretty good numbers last season off the bench. I do also like the idea of Copeland as an assistant coach in the future.

Reply #128786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To the "OMG, YOU'RE NOT REAL FANS!!!11!" posters, some of these people aren't claiming that they are hardcore fans. They're welcome to pick and choose when they want to attend to watch the team play. The crowd at games is made up of different people - hardcore regulars, those that wait to see what the roster is like, game-by-gamers, etc.

Reply #128851 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

If the Sixers are winning, i will go, if they are losing, i won't. A 45 minute trip on top of expensive tickets and cost of petrol and parking, it's not worth it to see the Sixers play like they don't care and look sh*t on court like last season.

HOWEVER, when they play well and hit the winning shot in the last few seconds in an amazing Sixer comeback, then it is definately worth it!

Reply #129036 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I don't believe there is anything wrong with just having a passing interest in the 36ers but I do think there is something wrong with supporting a team but only when they're winning.

Reply #129170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754