Isaac
Years ago

Horvath to the Dragons (confirmed)

Update: Confirmed - two year deal.

The usually reliable Curious from the OzHoops Boards has dropped "Horvath" into the Dragons off-season thread. IMO, this could work for them.

Heal/Martin
Groves/Hill
Ingles/?
Holmes/Hobba
Horvath/Burston

Not a tonne of inside muscle.

Alternatively, still go for Pepper in the middle, play Horvath as a PF, Holmes as SF:

Heal/Martin
Groves/Hill
Holmes/Ingles
Horvath/Hobba
Pepper/Burston

No idea if that works under the points cap though.

Topic #11059 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal/Martin
Groves/Hill
Holmes/Ingles
Horvath/Hobba
Pepper/Burston
---------------

Starting 5

Heal 8
Groves 10
Holmes 9
Horvath 10
Pepper 10
=47
--
Bench

Martin 4
Hill 5
Hobba 1
Ingles 1
Burston 6
=17
-------
Total = 64pts

Unbelievable team!

Reply #128483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IN Groves OUT Franklin
IN Horvath OUT Ellis
IN Hill OUT Shanahan
IN Martin OUT Quick
IN Pepper OUT Drmic

What an off-season for the Dragons!

Reply #128485 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

^^^^Above two my posts^^^^

Reply #128486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not get carried away. The ONLY major improvement if all that comes off is Pepper for Drmic.

Reply #128488 | Report this post

milyk  
Years ago

I really like the look of the Dragons. I live in Sydney but decided to support the Dragons in their first season - I am fed up with the way the Kings treat their fans, and I can't stand the Razorbacks.
I think that if Horvath signs, the side is far better on paper than it was last year:

PGs
Heal - same as last year
Martin - upgrade on Quick and Shanahan, can allow Heal more time to rest. Martin's speed helps the Dragons run-n-gun style

SGs
Groves - far more dangerous than Kavossy - is quicker and is bigger, oh, and he actually PASSES the ball
Hill - nice back-up, good for 15mpg. could see some SF minutes too

SFs
Ingles - an upgrade on Holmes
Hill - see SG

PFs
Holmes - he is a better PF than Drmic, and Holmes is a good rebounder but a little slow I find. with the league looking so small, he is a good fit as a Power Forward
Hobba - a backup only. would love to see some small ball with Ingles playing a bit of 4 with a 3 guard front

Cs
HORVATH - he is a true star in this league. he has size, and does bsically everything better than rozell ellis. nice pickup if true

Top 4 for this side? maybe if they can add one mroe quality big guy to start instead of Holmes - re-sign Ellis?

Reply #128489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis is better then horvath IMO, why dont the sixers look at signing him?

Reply #128491 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Don't forget Pepper milyk

Reply #128493 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

'Cause we have Ballinger

Reply #128494 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Horvath seemed to leave something in the locker room at half time. He had more than a few games for the 36ers with a reasonable first half and a sub par second half. Or else he got frustrated.

Maybe a Shane Heal rant at half time would keep him going for the rest of the game.

Reply #128499 | Report this post

milyk  
Years ago

sorry

meant to be MILKY, not MILYK

is Pepper a definite?????

that makes for a top side, even without imports. if they can get Ellis to re-sign, then they're really looking good. and Horvath is well better than Ellis - he has size, and a jumper. he can block shots too. Ellis is a good 4, but Horvath eclipses him in my opinion. imagine if he becomes a Kiwi - he won't count as an import

still probably wouldn't start Horvath AND Pepper - possibly too slow for this league. But I wouldn't mind if they wanted to. I'd bring Pepper off the bench, and try and get an import at the 4.

C Horvath
PF Ellis?
SF Ingles
SG Groves
PG Heal

Bench Rotation:
C Pepper
SF/PF Holmes
SG Hill
PG Martin

Bench Extras who should not even touch the timber:
C Burston
PF Hobba (OK, he is allowed to play 10mpg)

Reply #128500 | Report this post

milky  
Years ago

MILKY, not mylik

Reply #128501 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

MILKY, not mylik

Reply #128503 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Ellis over Horvath any day BUT it will coem down to 2 things.

Horvath's import status, and the dragons ability to sign anyone big.

IF they've signed Horvath, I would assume that Pepper has chosen to go elsewhere.

Strictly an assumption mind you.

Reply #128505 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

is this anti-Horvath stuff an Adealide-biased thing

Reply #128507 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

i would rather Horvath because he offers the attributes of a more traditional big man in the low post and as a shot-blocker

having said that, their numbers from last year are pretty similar, Ellis' actually are a little better

Horvath 19ppg and 8rpg
Ellis 18ppg and 11rpg

hopefully, the Dragons keep both

Reply #128509 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

or rather GET both

Reply #128510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, MILKY NOT MILYK.

Ok, we get it.

Reply #128511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know we have ballinger but could we not start either one of ballinger or ellis at the five and the other at the four?

Reply #128515 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

thanks, but i thought my first message didn't go through

Reply #128516 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Anyone know why they got rid of Ellis? It seemed to me he did everything he was asked to do. I guess the only reason is because of the height factor?

Reply #128523 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Id take Horvath over Ellis any day.

Reply #128525 | Report this post

3guardfront  
Years ago

Just a bit rich to have a go at MILKY Anonymous, at least he has a name we know, tosser!

Reply #128544 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Reported on Fox Sports News that Horvath has signed for 2 years

Reply #128546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 2 year contract with the Dragons hey?
Tell him to get in touch with Ninnis for the name of a good lawyer!

Reply #128554 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

this is unbelievable news for the club

realistically, what don;t they have now?
well, if you can think of anything, they'll fix it with their second import...hopefully ellis comes back!!!

is his departure confirmed? nothing has been said yet. if he comes back, this team has top 4 written all over it

Reply #128570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is shit news for us, unless we get a stud import we will have another shit year (sorry about the language but i feel like writing what every other fan is feeling like atm.

Reply #128577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we now consider Horvath to be a Naturalised New Zealander in the NBL, thus not classed as an import, or is he not naturalised as a NZ yet.

Reply #128590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt think he would be yet, but I'm sure the Dragons will be pushing it as fast as they can.

Reply #128592 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The Advertiser confirmed Horvath to Dragons for two years.

MILKY, Dragons can't have both Horvath and Ellis because they have Cortez Groves.

Reply #128593 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

yeah i know

not yet, anyway

i'm counting on Horvath's NZ citizenship being done by the start of the season, as are the Tall Blacks i would think because they have already invited him to camp

Reply #128618 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I just read the article in todays Herald Sun and Horvath was quoted as saying "It will be good being in a side with everyone pulling in the same direction and no egos involved"in reference to his stay in Adelaide. I wonder who he would be referring to with that comment...

Reply #128643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dunno......who?

Reply #128644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would say that they are suggesting Farley.

Reply #128667 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I thought the same but making a big statement like that would have to include more than one person you would think?

Reply #128670 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

A parting shot by Horvath at Adelaide possibly...

From www.nbl.com.au

Horvath said the Dragons' commitment to youth development was a major drawcard to the club.

"I'm excited to have a group of guys that are all focused on working hard to win and who are all young enough and gung-ho enough to give it a real shot."

Reply #128671 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pure Silk, not really aware of many other egos in that 36ers side - Cooper no, Nash no, Copeland is known to be a good team man, young guys no, Maher is a little cocky but has the game to back it up, Timmons came late, Wheeler no, etc.

Reply #128680 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"It will be good being in a side with everyone pulling in the same direction and no egos involved"

Um... Heal?!

Reply #128696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no egos! try Mr media man himself... me, me me. We still blow smoke up the proverbial! All talk and no results.

Reply #128707 | Report this post

tutes  
Years ago

at least the Dragons team isn't old like the Sixers last season!

Reply #128722 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

yeah but atleast we dont have shanus the anus heal

Reply #128732 | Report this post

horay  
Years ago

tutes, get over the 'old' joke, its become quite old and anybody who keeps referring to that joke shouldn't post on the forum as they have no positive impact

Reply #128743 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

It's very annoying.

Reply #128778 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

horvath ave 19 pts 8 rebounds per game!!!!
1st half 17pts 7 rebounds 5 fouls
2nd half 2pts 1 rebound and fouled out.
That seemed to be the case all to often

Reply #128783 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

liked the guy but thought his lack of a jump shot was all to often his down fall

Reply #128837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger will be a better player than Horvath for the Sixers!!

Reply #128855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger IS a better player than Horvath.. but only if the team actually gives him the ball and if Copeland doesnt take 20 shots a game

Reply #129047 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754