jimmy de bas
Years ago

SHC take Title

In a great contest, Sacred Heart College have won the Boys Marist Basketball Championship. The Hearts had many solid contributors, but none moreso than Harri Harvey, who torched Bulleen for 24 points in the first half on his way to 32 for the game.

After playing out of their socks in the first half, SHC found themselves up by 20 just after halftime. However, Bulleen increased their defensive intensity and the Hearts had their lead whittled down to 7 with a few minutes to play. But the Sacred Heart lads weren't done just yet. Some big plays from Scotty O'Connor, Matt Williams and two HUGE plays from Sam Bromilow ensured that Sacred Heart captured their first ever championship against a school that has caused us so much grief over the years.

Well done to the entire team and to the organisers of the competition, who have done a tremendous job.

SHC Team:

Marc Williams
Scott O'Connor
Jak Francis
Christian Maynes
Sam Bromilow
Patrick Clarke
Matt Williams
Sam Blake
Zach Ashby
Harri Harvey (C)

Coach: Justin Schueller
Assistant Coach: Brett Clarke

YES!!

Topic #11075 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin is a cabra coach wat is this?

Reply #128767 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

what did they win exacty??

Reply #128784 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

wat did they win? r u kidding... they won the national marist bsketball carnival!!

Reply #128801 | Report this post

SHC  
Years ago

Justin being an old scholar was asked to coach his former school in the championship, one he played in while at the school.

Fantastic effort by the boys, all us past players are proud of what you have achieved, it means a lot to the Hearts Basketball Family!

Reply #128816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what other adelaide schools took part in the marist tournament?

Reply #128817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sacred Heart College was and think is the only Marist school in Adelaide. there are over 100 in Australia and 20 different schools competed in this championship.

Reply #128818 | Report this post

SHC  
Years ago

Those outside of the school will always not understand just how big a deal this is, but in school basketball and for Sacred Heart there is no bigger stage or no more prestiges win. Enjoy this one for a while Hearts we deserve it!

Reply #128822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go to school nationals then come back and talk

well done for the lefties only carnival though

Reply #128825 | Report this post

my own eyes  
Years ago

back again

standard was between div 4 and a tidy div 2 level - some div 1 players

if they are that good - why have we never seen them at school nationals?

Reply #128826 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Not knowing what a Marist school was I decided to look it up. The first link I came across suggested they were "Independent, day schools for girls 3 to 18 years".

I'm not surprised the listed team took out the title, seemed to be a fair few dudes in the squad.

Reply #128829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ned Flanders was disgusted at the exemption of Rod and Todd for the carnival.

Basketbiddly diddly

Reply #128840 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

If you care to look back over the history of SA Schools Championships and the National Schools Championships of Basketball you'll find Sacred Heart feature prominently in the history books.

Well done to the boys, a monumental effort and something you'll remember for years to come.

Reply #128848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it means schools that worship Mary (catholics) hence the Marist.

Reply #128863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So this 'Title ' would be a bit like a Powerful div one team winning a c grade church comp?

Reply #128872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something to savor boys, fantastic effort. A real true team effort. Great we finally got one!

Reply #128961 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Give the tournament some credit people. In the last few years alone, notable players to grace the championships include Vic Metro player Sam Allen, who played this year, his older brother Ben (who plays college basketball I believe?) and PATRICK MILLS. Every single year there are more than a few state reps that take part and this year was no exception.

The great Sacred Heart team of 1999, who smashed everyone in the State Knockout, could only manage 5th at that year's Marist Carnival.

Well done again boys.

Reply #129095 | Report this post

Mt Carmel  
Years ago

Some past Marist Representatives that have played at a higher level include;

Michael Kingma (Sydney Kings)
Ben Arkell (West Sydney)
Peter Miller (West Sydney)
Christian Bell (36ers)
Matt Barrett (Australian jnr rep)
Rhys Phillips (University of Utah)
David Smith (Melbourne Tigers)
Rhys Carter (West Sydney)
Frank Drimic (South Dragons)

They are the only ones i can remember of the top of my head but there are also a vast array of ABL players who have had successful state league careers in their respective states.
Congrats Sacred Heart, you out classed and out played every team that came to play you.

Reply #129099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha billo your a sad, sad person

Reply #129362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good work boys, i played in that comp this year, you guys did good. harri is one hell of a gaurd, one quick dude. i played in that comp with a knee injury, and i play state, and this comp is one compettiv comp lol. congrats but bulleen hav one there fair share, and you guys deserved it.

ps. dam sam allens frigin pro

Reply #129500 | Report this post

GotGame  
Years ago

seems like ap retty tight carny this year! Just for the record i have won one myself (last year) and its not an easy comp to win, 1 slip up and your effectively done! and yes...im from the powerhouse Marcellin - Bulleen that has won many of the years, but im sure we will be back next year to give it another crack! But till then well done to SHC.

Reply #130459 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

those from other marist schools that hav contributed to this forum to prove that marist is a competitive competition and back up shc's worthy win are in much need of a respectable acknowledgment. much appreciated!

Reply #130876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who played well in the grand final??????? what was the game like? Who were standouts at this tournament?????

Reply #131013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754