123abc
Years ago

36ers put offers to Newley, Dench

Boti Nagy has reported that the Adelaide 36ers has offered contracts to Brad Newley and Axel Dench.

Quote: "But even by terminating Dench's deal, the Tigers have a points capacity of 60 and could not legally accommodate Newley, who is a nine-point player. It also is past the cut-off to have any existing personnel re-evaluated."

"We don't see how Melbourne could fit Brad into the side legally," 36ers operations manager Paul Bauer said.

Topic #11092 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

Link:

http//:www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21553575-5006371,00.html

Reply #129075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couldn't the Tigers dump Tucker or release Dave Thomas (who is looking at Europe anyway)?

Reply #129081 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Yes they can that's why the Tigers can still get Newley. If they release Thomas, Sixers should try and sign him, if they release Tucker, the Sixers should also try and sign him. We could get Dench and Tucker/Thomas while they get Newley. That would be an okay trade.

Reply #129083 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Tucker/Dench for Newley would mean the Sixers come off second best for sure. Neither of these players have that ability to come with big plays down the stretch. Need a guy that can make that clutch go ahead jumper up at the Swamp or in Sydney! By adding these 2 to the team, puts the same old pressure on Maher. Throw Thomas into the mix though and thats a different story.

Reply #129087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of worrying what the Tigers can or can't do legally, just worry about getting Newleys signature!
Sounds like the same old inferiority complex, blame everybody else shit that had become a staple of previous and now current 36ers Coaches and management.

Reply #129088 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I would be great if we got Dave Thomas, that would be a huge signing. Not too sure about Tucker and Dench though.

Reply #129096 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If we can get them both plus a import, that would give us a great team

C Dench/Cooper
PF Ballinger
SF Import (Tucker)/Copeland
SG Newley/Ng
PG Maher/Davidson/Sutton

A pretty small bench but Cooper and maybe the import can also back up the PF spot with Newley also being able to play SF so i could see that line up working and doing pretty well.

Reply #129097 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

within the points cap???

Reply #129101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not going to be competitive enough starting Dench unless the second import is a lot better than Tucker.

Reply #129103 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

C Moore/Cooper
F Ballinger/Dench
F Tucker/Copeland
G Newley/Ng
G Maher/Sutton

I think that would be a pretty competitive side.

Reply #129106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123abc,

All you've done is replace Dench with a player whom Dench is equal or better then.

I really don't understand why everyone rates Moore so highly. Have any of you been following his recent form? I very much doubt it.
IMO he shouldn't be starting in the NBL.

Reply #129108 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Unless the Tigers knew that Thomas wanted to leave, I think they would be crazy to dump for Newley, when he is almost certainly going to leave in a year or two. Thomas is one of the best swingmen in the NBL.

Reply #129109 | Report this post

Pete Newell  
Years ago

Moore, and Dench, dud and almost dud.
Brad Newley and Stefan Blaszczynski, SF gun and SF future gun.

Reply #129110 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Pete....Dench officially is a dud.

Reply #129128 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

at least and offer has been put forward to them,

still dont know if im happy or angry they are approaching dench

miss hoover i bent my wookie

Reply #129137 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I'm happy that they are offering Dench a contract and would like to see him play for the Sixers.

Dench scored 12 points against the Sixers last time, the time before that 18pts and before that 9pts.

Average of 13pts against the Sixers, not too bad.

Reply #129139 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

You want to pick Dench up based on what he has scored against the Sixers??? Not like we have been a Defensive juggernaut last couple of years! So one dimensional its scary!

Reply #129147 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I'm just saying how well he went against us.

Reply #129162 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

going that 123abc hes pretty crap cause i think 90% of league posted figures greater then that against us last year

Reply #129164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dench is OK could play a reasonable role in smyth's system if hes forced to play defense could be the big body inside defensively and on thew offensive end doesnt demand the ball too much but can step outside and constantly nail the open shots wat u have to realise is that we need role players as well as the stars u cant sign a team full of players Newleys calibre. Dench could fulfill a role in the team

Reply #129175 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea Dench would be a good pick up in my opinion, and is still one of the better Aussie bigs going around and would start at most teams except for if they have someone like a Anstey, Melmeth or Pepper, he did start for Wollongong and won the title as a rookie. I also think he would fit the 36ers offence well and him and cooper would balance each other out, with Cooper being limited offensively and good defensively and Dench basically being the opposite, so i wouldnt be too un happy with a Cooper/Dench centre rotation, especially since the 36ers hardly rely on having a dominant centre. if we get Dench and the right import SF, Tucker would be ok IMO, but i wouldnt mind a fresh face, we should be a decent team, with a bit of luck who knows how they will go, if we get lucky and land Newley aswell, that would be AWESOME and would put us right up there for title contention.

Reply #129207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know why people always put Tucker in their team. Sure he's an ok player (though he's not a scorer and is turnover prone) but for an import, he's average!
I'm sure for that money, there's better imports out there, whether it's a new face or not

Reply #129224 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

Dench did not start for Wollongong as a rookie Jonno.

Reply #129228 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Tucker did win MVP for the Wildcats. Imagine that for for the Sixers!

Reply #129229 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

lets not forget hes "former rookie of the year" lol

i can see a sixers casey bingo nite coming up isaac

Reply #129234 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

i noticed that Isaac now has a site www.celebritybingo.com it has

Britney Spears, CABL aswell as Casey!

Reply #129247 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Dench is the biggest waste of space. He's too outside oriented for such a big guy .. and he'd become even worse in the sixers offence.

Reply #129261 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Who would be better for Backup PF then?

Oakley-No
L. Davidson- No

who???

Reply #129268 | Report this post

master?  
Years ago

Dont forget people that Tucker is 37 years old, very young and fresh and lets not forget enjoys smoking some pot.

Reply #129278 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Dench did start as a rookie along side Melvin Thomas, Glen Saville, Matt Campbell and Charles Thomas, they had Matt Garrison off the bench for them,and he has several NBA trials after that season, and outside of Rogers, Pepper, Melmeth and Anstey i dont think there are many Aussie bigs better than Dench, (id put him and Derek Moore at a similar standsrd) so i think he would be a good pick up, providing we cant get one of the others. He has career averages of 10ppg, 5rpg, which is better than some one like Reesy or Coops or even Wheeler. We may also be able to pick him up cheaply with the Tigers having to pay out his contract for next season. I would be happy if the 36ers signed either Dench or Moore, and if we could get them both that would be even better, as along side Cooper and Ballinger that would make a pretty good big man rotation

Reply #129283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tucker's actually 32 years old.

Reply #129287 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Ben Pepper?? i read in a post about townsville, and they are apparantly after ben pepper, and someone mentioned the 36ers are working him pretty hard, does anyone know if this is true??? Pepper would be a good pick up, if we could get him, and if we got Pepper and Dench, that would be a even better bigman rotation than i was expecting

Reply #129368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754