Isaac
Years ago

David Pennisi to the Crocs?

"nonuthin" (who, despite the alias, is usually on the money) has posted on OzHoops that David Pennisi (one time West Sydney back-up centre, and 36ers target years ago) could be the Crocodiles' replacement for Larry Abney's work in the paint.

Pennisi played for Townsville when they were the Suns in 1998, though not with any of the current team, then again in 1999 when they became the Crocs.

Pennisi has been playing in Europe, as far as I know.

On the topic of second tier big men who went to Europe, I was reading that supposedly the much-ridiculed Michael Kingma has lifted his game a bit and could be of use to an NBL side.

I think he's in a Dutch league that's said to be roughly on par with the Div II Italian league(s) - currently the domain of one Willie Farley and Neil Mottram. Perhaps an option for the team's desperately in need of some height?

Topic #11139 | Report this topic

cLaRkY  
Years ago

So does this mean that Abney has officially not re-signed with the crocs?

Reply #129809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can bet that they've lost him. See the other Abney thread where I quote the offer he was rumoured to receive from Cairns - US$165k for the first year, US$185k for the second, plus a car, accommodation and more each year. Go Taipans...

Reply #129810 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

anyone got any stats on either of the pennisi brothers

Reply #129817 | Report this post

How are Cairns throwing around all this money continually? Rumores a few years back that Darnell, Cat and Burgess alone broke the salary cap and i have heard what Darnel was offered to not come to the sixers by Cairns so if Abney is on 165k USD that equates to $206k AUD thanks to our delicious currency rate then 2/3 of the cap are gone on 2 players.

The NBL needs to grow some balls and stamp this shite out. The league will crumble as it was about to do pre cap intriduction.

External jobs are way to easy to get for players. Surely an external job should be measured against the award rate for that role and if the player is earning x% above the award for that job then the job becomes assesable under the cap.

Reply #129819 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cashed up owner, good sponsorship, reliable crowd captive in a smaller city?

Reply #129825 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

$500 for a good season ticket; and that's Adult, Concession or Child!

Reply #129836 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

This signing would just be ridiculous. Pennisi played for a few season in Townsville and West Sydney and has bever proved himself as a consistant player in the league. Why would the Crocs want to waste money on signing him. They have Vanderjagt for that role! They need a better scorer and rebounding bigman to go along with Rosell Ellis in the frontcourt or they are just going backwards from last year.

Losing Newley and now Abney leave a big hole with this team and they need to replace them with decent players. Pennisi is not this player!

As for a PG, Rowland was ok last year, but I do believe they need more scoring punch from an import in that position. Could start Kelvin and get a SF import?? They look like going backwards with what there rumoured to be doing. I hope for there sake its just rumours.

Reply #129945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The League is nuts. The Pennisi brothers are ABA at best. Sure they have a nice touch, but is that what you really need from them? I have played these guys both in the aba and the nbl and if i was a team owner i wouldnt pay them more than 20 grand (combined)and a job at the local factory.

Reply #206551 | Report this post

dog69  
Years ago

The League is nuts. The Pennisi brothers are ABA at best. Sure they have a nice touch, but is that what you really need from them? I have played these guys both in the aba and the nbl and if i was a team owner i wouldnt pay them more than 20 grand (combined)and a job at the local factory.

Reply #206552 | Report this post

dog69  
Years ago

Kingma? What a joke when players of this calibre are considered solid big men. Seeing that makes me want to make a comeback and Im 40.

Reply #206553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pennisi bros are nba standard
great players

Reply #237091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys are crazy both pennisi brothers are easily starting 5 in nbl standard , both incredible big men i have played with both could not have met more humble and skilled blokes.

Reply #326499 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754