Johnny Sack
Years ago

Bill Simmons on the 'rigged' 1985 NBA Draft...

Link

Interesting new video of the 1985 NBA Draft (the one that many people beleive was rigged - see youtube link in the article)... I dunno what to say, but Bill's observations are correct: 1) Yes the accountant does clearly drop one envelope on its corner, and 2) the one Stern takes out first (after suspiciously leafing through 3 envelopes to get to it - ON CAMERA CLOSE UP) does sport a very clear crease on its corner... Make up your own minds...

I think there may be something in this - as the rumor about that Draft never goes away (though the original theory was that the Knicks envelope was dropped in dry ice before coming out onto stage so Stern knew which it was)...

For me though, the best part was that of all of the 'Franchise savers' they could have got - the Knicks got Patrick "Can I Park My Duo Of Mack Trucks In Your Nostrils" Ewing... hahahahahaha... And the Knicks still suck...

Topic #11192 | Report this topic

baberuth  
Years ago

But when the guy spins the barrel how do you know the envelope doesn't get creased whilst its getting tossed around.

Think about it buddy.

Reply #130409 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I believe that Patrick Ewing was the best possible pick that New York could have got with their number 1 pick so i dont know what your talking about johnny Sack.

Reply #130411 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Babe - that's why i said make up your own minds... I am fully aware that the crease could have ocurred in the spin - If you read my post i am neither here nor there (but Sterns seemingly highly selective draw for the first envelope looks very sus, if you ask me)... Gotta remember - back in those days the NBA (National Bong Association) was the running joke amongst sports fans with all of the bad press that it would receive for various player indiscretions - imagine if guys like Randolph, Rider, Stoudamire, Wallace, (- all ex-Blazers co-incidentally) White Chocolate, Odom, Artest, Shaq, et al were running around in those days... It would be a VERY audacious move to make (fixing the lottery) but a league with nothing to lose may have thought it worth the risk... like i said rumors about that draft are not new at all - and where there's smoke...

Reply #130430 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Damning video evidence if you ask me

Reply #130463 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

At the end of the day no matter what you think about rigged or not it still did not give them a title with Ewing though.

Imagine if Isaih was trying that on in this day and age.

Reply #130512 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754