David K
Years ago

Addition of new teams - success or not

Another new team into the league this year, Gold Coast. Does everyone think that this will be good for the league and Basketball in Australia. Has the addition of new teams lifted the standard of playing or are we seeing more average players now, bringing down the standard of play. For my mind, last year both Dragons and Slingers were pretty average and I can't see them or Gold Coast team doing much better this year.

Topic #11228 | Report this topic

Jonno  
Years ago

I dont mind the league expanding, and if the talent gets too diluted i reckon the NBL should allow teams to have 3 imports, or atleast the bottom couple who have trouble recruiting key Aussies to keep every team at a high standard.

Reply #130789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Retrospectively, I'd rather have seen the league cool on the idea of Singapore for a while and stick with what we had. Some smarter application of the rules and the Hawks would have a better chance of trading through their current problems. Instead, they've lost four of five starters and are in big trouble.

Reply #130790 | Report this post

Mavarich Press  
Years ago

Isaac, you talk about the composition of the NBL as if the number of teams is a well thought out strategic decision. We wish ! The number of teams is determined by how many go broke in a season and when their cash actually runs out.
The two new teams, Slingers and Dragons are classic examples of the on-going cycle. Singapore took over the Newcastle license (after 2 financially disastrous seasons)  Newcastle got the license from Canberra who had 3 ownership changes in the previous 5 years. Dragons took over the Victoria Giants license who took over the Titans who took over the Magic who took over the Saints and Spectres.
Every franchise in the NBL except Crocs has changed ownership in the last 5 years, many change annually. Last year Crocs and Tigers made money, no other franchise got within $250,000 of a break even.
The interesting question is how many clubs with losses last year are improving their position - cos if they are not then they better have the owner(s) with long pockets. Read Bullets and Kings.
Cairns and Perth have enough of the fundamentals right (and some capital) to see a financial light at the end of tunnel. The light that the Breakers, 36ers, Dragons, Razorbacks, Slingers and Hawks see at the end of their tunnel is a fast moving train called bankruptcy. They must change their fundamentals next season or sell.

Are more or less teams good for the NBL ? they don't care how many teams or how it effects the standard - their game is survival.

Reply #130812 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

3 imports!! I really don't like the sounds of that. I reckon at some stage the NBL should limit it back to 1 import. The NBL and Basketball Australia should be pushing the idea of grooming and playing more home grown talent. Australia's junior program keeps getting better. Look at our results at junior worlds etc. The players are coming up through the ranks and i don't think there is a vast difference between an import and a local, like there used to be. More teams means vast difference between top and bottom teams. West Sydney were embarrassing last year.

Reply #130813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mav - I think that tough years see crowds fall away. Small crowds make the whole deal less attractive to sponsors. How many fans will the Hawks lose this year? How many did West Sydney lose?

Keep the league fair, all teams remotely competitive, and you help the club's chances of staying afloat, in my opinion.

The league's free for all approach cannot be sustained.

Reply #130825 | Report this post

flip1  
Years ago

Maybe the bottom 2 teams at the end of each year should get a salary cap exception. We have no draft so maybe this would help and bring the level of competition closer. Just an idea i guess.

Reply #130837 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

No good having a salary cap exception if nobody polices the damn thing!

Reply #130838 | Report this post

Havlicek J  
Years ago

Isaac and david K --Agree with your comments that it does not help struggling teams when they get looted by the more financial clubs  poor team, poor crowds, sponsors down and recruiting gets tougher. Good central league administration helps weaker teams to rebuild but ultimately any good league needs a fundamental financial model that works. The NBL is in denial on this. The basic model must include the requirement to build a season ticket base so that there is some breathing space to rebuild after a poor season. 36ers are the classic example  had a great fan base and lost it thru poor management and marketing while small fortunes where spent on the "next championship team". David K comments make sense  a good draft, a rookie camp and maybe a zero points for the second or third player under 20 would help but the owners are not that interested in developing a system that encourages young talent -- these suggested changes make it harder to WIN NOW!. Isaac you menttioned the other classic example of how not to go about--the Hawks -- great franchise without any leadership or management.

Reply #130843 | Report this post

Also open the league for Asian players ,including PRC citizens, to participate as " locals". This will keep the player prices down and help win more support in Asia.

To try to extend what is today an australian game ,because of the player rules ,to a wider region without allowing players from the countries with a strong basketball tradition to play as locals makes no business sense.

Reply #130845 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

flip1 - a salary cap exception would do nothing - the struggling teams can't afford to spend over the cap while the rich teams already are. What's desperately needed is a reduction in the points cap, and then a points cap exception for the bottom teams!

Won't guarantee a complete solution to the problems, but it's free, easy and will only help. Will allow teams to remain competitive and maintain crowd levels which, as has been stated, helps clubs stay alive.

Reply #130852 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754