Isaac
Years ago

Townsville Fire coach quits

David Herbert, inaugural and only coach of the Townsville Fire in their history in the WNBL has stepped down as coach for the upcoming season.

Rumour is that he had some disagreements with the CEO.

He had a 59-69 record while at the helm.

The Fire expect to announce a replacement within a fortnight and at least one signing shortly. Paul Gorris has been suggested on OzHoops as a possible replacement.

This off-season, the Fire have lost Rachael Flanagan to Dandenong, and Renae Camino to Adelaide.

Topic #11245 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It's a shame for the punsters/headline writers out there, that he got out before he was ... sacked.

Reply #131000 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's funny is that rumour goes that this scenario may be what might've kept Camino in Townsville had they acted sooner. Supposedly Gorris is unlikely too.

Reply #131070 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I see your rumour and raise you an even funnier scenario: new basketball franchises in Queensland need to lighten up with the references to flames/heat.

We've had the Suns (and the Furnace), and currently we have the Fire, and now the GC Blaze. Next: who knows? Rockhampton Inferno? South Brisbane Bushfires? Mt Isa Supernova? Cape York Nuclear Fusion?

We get it. You're further north than most of us. It's warmer where you are. Good for you.

And while I'm on a rant, what do you call someone who plays for the Blaze? A Blay? Modern sports team nicknames are, for the most part, stupid and if it isn't already a major issue in the upcoming Federal election campaign then it should be.

(And nobody tell me to chill - it's what those Queensland basketball teams want me to do.)

Reply #131079 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754