Paul
Years ago

Saville signed

Word is that Saville signed on Tuesday with the Kings but that they are a bit slow with the press release. I guess there is no surprise that he signed. I also imagine he has now extended his international career.

Topic #11262 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

Are you suggesting that he is not deserving of his international spot ?

Hard to find a better 3 player in the league IMO.
I think the only thing stopping Saville playing for AUS, for a while yet, is injury.

Reply #131175 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Hard to find a better 3 player in the league IMO"

Internationally, I can think of 2 straight away..... Catt and Sam.

If Saville gets a gig ahead of either of them, Boomer selection is officially a joke.

Reply #131180 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

He's already got a gig ahead of Catt. Goorj basically retired Catt along with Rillie last year. Did you see Catt's name in the selection list for the upcoming NZ series?

The problem with Saville is that he is a very similar player to Mackinnon, ie excellent defender and rebounder but limited offensively. (Mackinnon improved offensively last season obviously playing on a stacked roster.) The Boomers don't need two of these players and Mackinnon is better so why do you need Saville?

You're far better off going with Catt instead of Saville as he provides something different to Mackinnon and Saville with his offensive capabilities. And given that Goorj isn't known as the greatest offensive coach he could use Cattalini. Pity he still holds a grudge.

Reply #131195 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I agree 100% with Rat10. The Boomers need Cat for his offensive prowess and his international experience. It simply comes down to Gorj not wanted to admit defeat and select him IMHO.

Reply #131225 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It comes down to Goorj being a *(# and admitting to the fact that his selection policies are crap and he made a mistake in relation to Catt.

Yes, I'm on the official bandwagon of 'Goorj is a crappy international coach' and we need to replace him.

I wonder if it will occur if BA would select a coach outside of the NBL. I can't see anything wrong with that, worked for the Socceroos and I can't see why it wouldn't work for the Boomers.

Reply #131249 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

possible kings roster 07/08

PG -Import/Carter
SG -Kendall/Smith
SF -Saville/Tovey
PF -Worthington/Hinder
C - Import/Crosswhite

Reply #131259 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Kings roster doesnt look to bad add to imports and they look the goods. DAMN!

Reply #131298 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The problem Sydney has is that its 2 import spots, point guard and centre are traditionally the hardest to fill. Good quality import centres are usually too expensive for the NBL and decent point guards are also hard to find.

Reply #131326 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Saville, although streaky, isn't that bad on offense. He's got a pretty decent pull up J that's hard to stop when he's on and he can also play at the point and play it effectively.

IMO, he's head and shoulders above Mackinnon as a scorer and distributor.

Reply #131356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The problem Sydney has is that its 2 import spots, point guard and centre are traditionally the hardest to fill. Good quality import centres are usually too expensive for the NBL and decent point guards are also hard to find".

its ok sydney will just have 3 or 4 attempts at filling their import spots through out the season

Reply #131405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754