raytri
Years ago

Have we got Newley or not

After reading the interview with Brad Newley in the Advertiser on Sat I'm wondering whether Newley will be playing with the 36'ers next season or not. According to him he has signed for the next 3 seasons, but he's not sure when he'll start, only "some time in the future"
What does that mean for the next season and does that put us at a disadvantage if he plays NBA or Europe?

Topic #11294 | Report this topic

KC- gone  
Years ago

If he plays in the NBL you have him.

Reply #131599 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

"If" being the operative word

Reply #131615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look for the Sixers to sign someone old should Newley not play (so that they can boost their average age to something like it was last season)

Reply #131618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And the Award for Originality goes to...

Reply #131619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drum Roll

Reply #131621 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

It is a valid point that we won't know until after the NBA draft whether or not Newley will play for 36ers and even then, he may go to Europe. So if we don't find out until the 11th hour, how will his spot be filled - is there a contingency??

Reply #131624 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

Talk is Newley WILL be drafted and sent to Europe or development league to improve. Most scouts think he is a good prospect but most also believe he still needs development and needs it in a different league. If this is true, then he wont be seen in a Sixers uniform in the next 3 years.

Reply #131626 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, the plan would be to shuffle the starting line-up, either trade up the SF import, or try and coax a local replacement with the money - would be tough either way.

Reply #131630 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sir Charles, who said Newley WILL be drafted. Most scouts, which scouts??? As far as I know only the Clippers and the Hawks scout has come to Australia to see Newley.

How can a NBA team dictate if a player will goto Europe, they can't. Newley can not be drafted and sent to Europe by that NBA team. My understanding is that Newley has an NBA out-clause, not a Europe out-clause (I probably wrong about the Europe clause. Isaac any ideas???).

That being said Newley can't play in Europe unless he's released by the 36ers. He can activate the out-clause to play in the NBA (needs a contract first) but not Europe.

IMO if he's a first round pick then obviously he stays and plays NBA. Second round pick he's returning to Adelaide to play out the season (unless he impresses in pre-season and is given a contract, remember only second rounders have their rights owned by the team, no contract is given) and then looking at making huge impressions in the Oceania qualifiers and then the Olympics.

Reply #131637 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't imagine he would've signed anything without a Euro out?!?

Reply #131641 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Agree, only I haven't heard any talk about an Euro out-clause.

Reply #131647 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

If you think an NBA team can't dictate where he plays, you're mad.

Check out how many games Longley played for the Boomers when he was in the NBA, or what Anstey had to give up to play for them.

It is not uncommon for the NBA to pick a guy LATE in the draft and then say to them "Go to this league and work on this and this and we'll keep an eye on you there". Of course they can dictate, they are the ones that hold the cards in Newley's dream to play NBA.

Reply #131654 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but that is what happened to CJ Bruton

Reply #131662 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm not too sure Dicko, but I'm willing to be persuaded that they can. From my knowledge there isn't a 'loan' system in basketball like there is in soccer.

If Newley is drafted in the second round then they only own his rights to offer him a contract. Once they offer him the contract then he'll have to use his out-clause with Adelaide as he can't have two signed and legal binding contracts to two different teams.

I believe international games are completely different as the player isn't contracted to play for that team, he's invited to represent his/her country. I assume something is signed to protect parties but it wouldn't be a contract like between Newley and Adelaide.

Reply #131666 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, but who's going to mention a Euro-out? The 36ers wouldn't, unless they got him without one, IMO.

Reply #131672 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

wouldn't it be in there best interest to say he does have an Euro-out clause??? At least people know that he can walk to Europe at any time he feels like it. At least he won't do a Markovic.

IMO no-one would be pissed if Newley left Adelaide to play in the NBA, but I can see people wouldn't be too impressed if Newley packed his bag to play in the second/third division in Italy (sorry, can't see him playing as a import in the top flight) or a place like Latvia or Liechtenstein just because it was geographically in Europe.

I'm only asking stupid question I know, but it seems we have placed a lot of our eggs in the Newley basket and unless it's the NBA then I'd be disappointed to see Newley leave.

Reply #131676 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I thought that in an interview, Newley had said that he wouldn't play Europe if it was a low division or only as a bench in a high div. He said that his first priority is getting drafted to NBS, but if not successful then a good development opportunity is his next priority. As a starter in NBL may provide that opportuinty.

My concern is, that we won't know until it is too late to do anything about it.

Reply #131677 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

TR,

There is no "loan" system ala soccer, but if he's drafted by an NBA side in the 2nd round & they say "we really think if you play a year in Euroland, you're a good shot at making our roster next year" that he's going to say "no thanks, Adelaide is the place for me"?

So no, they can't "make" him play in Europe & he wouldn't be bound to, but if a team picks him up & advises him to play in Europe (and most likely, will use their contacts to secure him a team) then I doubt we'll see him in Adelaide for next season.

If it's a means to an end, I don't think the public would be mad. If he goes undrafted & says "I have no shot at the NBA now, but I'm going to play in Europe" then I could see the public being annoyed.

Reply #131678 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, the club are going to be selling tickets for people to watch a team play. They wouldn't want to remind those people, and it's fair, that Newley could be off to the NBA or Europe.

Reply #131679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real question is; what are those guys who sign for the sixers going to think when this smokescreen clears.

Remember they (the Sixers) couldn't sign anyone last year, forcing them to bring back Wheeler (from retirement) and Copeland (from the nursing home) to try and convince people that the program was still a valid place to be...

you don't just sign for a European team (unless you have serious NBA credentials) you attend a gruelling try out camp - where all the teams decide which of the cattle they like. Contracts tend to be handed out from there. so he is not 'accidentally' going to get a euro contract, he'll have to put his hand up to get one - which he will. Which kind of negates this PR stunt.

I'll be surprised if he's seriously intending to play in Adelaide next season, rather than just being a boost for the program. But I guess funnier things have happened.

Reply #131683 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

Sit tight and see if im right. Trust me there are more teams than just the Clippers and Hawks interested in his services. Unfortunately there isnt ties with NBL clubs and NBA clubs currently like their is with teams in Europe and naturally with the Development League.
Drafting a player is an investment for a team and they will do as they see fit for that player to develop into what they want.
As for the european out clause, i believe the major reason Adelaide won Newleys signature was because they would give him what ever out clauses he wanted where Melbourne would only allow an NBA out clause.

Reply #131685 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Thanks Hoop, that was the angle I was looking for, there is a big difference in asking someone to do something and telling someone to do something.

That's another silly question, does anyone know if any clubs have ever used a 'buy-out' clause in contracts??? Happens in Europe a lot.

Reply #131687 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

TR I imagine it would be difficult enough for a player to be attractive enough to the NBA without a price on his head to release him from a contract. I may seem a bit selfish but most of the talk is about Newley and what choices he has. My main concern is what will happen to the 36ers' roster. A re shuffle of the starting 5's does not compensate for the loss of a main player that the team have fought for and are prepared to put in a lot of money to get. We will still be short and the options limited.

Reply #131693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Of course. That's the cost of going for Newley.

They will have his 9 points to work with and be able to sign a local to fill the gap. Not sure if there will be any/many options if that happens, but you never know.

Reply #131696 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

My piont exactly EC. If the Sixers's don't actually have Newley playing next season , what options are they left if and when he decides what he wants to do...

Reply #131720 | Report this post

Grod365  
Years ago

Now dont get all heavy on me but I can't see Newley EVER playing NBA.

I can remember back when Slammin Sam was the "next big thing" for the NBA, never happened, did it?

IMO there are thousands of kids of Brads talent already in the USA. What the NBA craves is 7ft plus kids.

I hope it does happen for him, and I would love nothing better than to be proven wrong, I just think in 3 years time we will be still waiting for him to get a NBA contract.

Europe, well thats different. I can see him having a long carreer in Europe.

Reply #131832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754