measles
Years ago

How long to pick a state team?

What length of time is the optimum period to pick a team for the Nationals and why?
I'm not sure if a shorter or longer time frame is best and lots of people have different views on it. Seems the U20's were picked very quickly, the 16's will be picked sometime after the state champs and the 18's at the end of May. Why so varied a time frame?
Some interstate teams were selected much earlier, is this an advantage or a mistake?

Topic #11302 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

I think the time to pick a team may be relative to when the respective Nationals for the grade are being held. Obviously the coaches want to give everybody the optimum time to impress, but must be conscious of allowing enough preparation for the successful squad.

Reply #131689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's ok for the big clubs - it allows them to have another club training with all the potential representatives. The poorer represented teams and their trainings are impacted by continually not having a full complement of players at trainings - how do you train as a team when players are continually absent with state team tryout commitments.

Reply #131692 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Gee, but think of the development opportunity the kids are getting - isn't that what it's all about?!

Reply #131694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#692 - why are club trainings being impacted? There is no way a player should be ducking out of his club training to "save himself" for State trainings surely?

Reply #131698 | Report this post

Pasadena 98  
Years ago

often the trainings clash

Reply #131700 | Report this post

Camel 66  
Years ago

Surely it has MORE of an impact on the "big" clubs?

If a club has 5-6 guys at state training which clashes with their club trainings, wouldn't that disadvantage them more than a club with just 1-2 kids missing their sessions?

You might say that it helps because those 5-6 are still training together, but not only would the sets their state coach runs be different to their clubs, but they may also be playing an entirely different position.

Reply #131704 | Report this post

State  
Years ago

State teams for 16's and 18s will all be selected the week after State Champs.

This is the due date according to Basketball Australia.

State trainings are set for the 5 months they train. Clubs have the option of running their trainings around the State trainings if they want.

Reply #131711 | Report this post

Melbourne man  
Years ago

Wow takes 5 months to decide who to pick.......

Good to see you know who your talented players are.......

Stick to the BA time frame ????

Flog the kids to death every saturday and sunday to test their commitment ......... so some of the parents told us.

No wonder the smaller kids looked stuffed at easter time when we were over there at norwood.

Fatigue - something every kid can get if they trial.

That big kids old man in the 16's has the right idea and took his kid away for a break. I suppose when you are that tall you can get away with it.

Our kids are now starting to train once a week and team has been picked for over a month - fresh as daisies. Will up the ante after Classics.

Not surprising how you guys do it though considering who runs the show in that state.

Reply #131743 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

I would prefer an earlier time because it would allow time for the team to develop chemistry and learn each other's strengths and weaknesses. That's stuff you want to know before you enter the heat of battle.

Reply #131750 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

States can pick their teams when ever they like. There are how ever limits on teh number of hours you can prepare the team. These vary for the different age groups.
If the clubs are doing their jobs in developing players state coaches should not need long to prepare the team structure.

Reply #131793 | Report this post

State  
Years ago

Melbourne Man,

Is that why your U18 teams bombed out of last years tournaments.

Not enough preperation time, and therefore 8th place was the best they could do.

Reply #131797 | Report this post

Grod365  
Years ago

Here we go again. Melbourne man seems to think his geographical position in Australia automaticly makes him more knolegable than people from the western side of Australia.

Funny, no mention of the u18 Vic teams as mentioned by State ((#131797). Stick to not having Vic teams win the AFL Grand Final; that is, after all, what you wise men from the east do best!

Reply #131822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the Vics did real well at feb's U20 Nationals too, beaten down to 6th place!!

Reply #131833 | Report this post

measles  
Years ago

We didn't win either so lets stay with how we can better prepare our teams to win. Are teams that form early a bonus or are teams that trial for longer better?
I lean towards an earlier date to put the team together and wonder why they wait till after State Champs. Is it to watch prospects over several days of competition, or to see if any of the cut players can earn a recall for extraordinary performances or a combination of both.
I can't see any other reason for taking 8 or 9 weeks to pick a team but I'm sure some one knows.

Reply #131840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

measles,

I think you have given some good reasons why teams are picked just after State Champs. Remember that there are still well over 2 months to go until nationals, so team chemistry should not be a problem.

If teams were picked in 2-3 weeks, less development of all players who miss out, including most importantly the bottom age players who will most likely make the team next year, would occur as well.

Plus a longer selection process gives the coaches more time to make a more informed decision, and the all important perception of being seen to consider all players who have trialled.

Injuries also play a big part (see Under 18 girls this year as an example!). The longer the selection process the greater chance a player who has missed a few weeks with an ankle injury has got to get back and prove herself.

It's all a balancing act, and I like the current balance. Other people would have different opinions I'm sure.

Reply #131856 | Report this post

coldandflu  
Years ago

So measles, if you were in a state program and you were going to get cut wouldn't you rather maximise your time out there with the team and maximise your development?

I would not give melbourne man too much credit. They have 4 times our population and about 6 times the participation rate at rep level. They should be dominating but seem to ride the rollercoaster of performances. What does that say about their development of players?

Reply #131867 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

Melbourne man my friend

I have just worked out who you are - I like you live on the right side of the border - you are a parent of the melbourne kid, not 10 or 12 (cannot mention names) who is in the vic state team and ever present at games with opinions - agreeably informed - but not necessarily always correct.

Your assessment based on what you saw at eater is probably correct but please do not upset our southern neighbours.

Dandyman has done that already and quite rightly the Sabre has more chance of defeating the Big V than the whole state combined.

I look forward to seeing all the Big V umpires over in the land of the crows this weekend helping out.

Reply #131879 | Report this post

measles  
Years ago

Victorian: Adequate water and food will be left at every venue for their seeing eye dogs.

Reply #131885 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

God I hope the bloke that refereed the u18 men's GF at nationals last year doesn't come over this weekend, he stinks! He calls double dribbles... what the? He also has a massive bargeass and pot belly ;-)

Reply #132042 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Bargearse? Bargearse? Barge. Arse. Sounds familiar....

Reply #132045 | Report this post

Blueboy  
Years ago

Victorian refs - what the ? Obviously the powers that be here think our green shirts and the like are not good enough !!!!

Reply #132158 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

You got it Phizzer!!! Bargeass... Ah comedy gold skit.

Reply #132529 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754