Bizzy
Years ago

Here we go again: Nash v Kidd

I know people are always going on about who is the better Point Guard - J-Kidd or Nash.

I was just looking through both their stats for the Regular season and so far this post season and came up with:

Kidd - Regular Season

13.0 ppg
9.2 apg
8.2 rpg
2.66 to
3.5 to per 48
3.46 Assist to TO ratio

Kidd - Post Season (so far)

13.2 ppg
12.8 apg
10.4 rpg
3.0 to

A nice triple double.

Nash - Regular Season

18.6 ppg
11.6 apg
3.5 rpg
3.78 to
5.1 to per 48
3.08 Assist to TO ration

Nash - Post Season (so far)

15.8 ppg
15.0 apg
2.8 rpg
3.5 to

Now I guess my question is - are rebounds and low TO count an important part when deciding on who is the best PG? IMO yes, and based on Regular season form you would have to say that Kidd is the better PG, he does everything.

What are people's thoughts? Just trying to stir up some discussion - Is Kidd a better PG?

BTW I don't want to hear that Nash/Kidd is better because the team plays crap when they don't play etc. I want to hear some real discussion.

Topic #11357 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

Stats aside - they both do so much for their respective teams - they are the engine that makes them run.

They both are 2 amazing point guards - but I think if you said replace Nash with Kidd on NJ and vice versa - a Nash lead NJ would get more wins wish nash at the helm than Kidd and a Kidd lead Suns would get less win than with Nash

IMO Nash is better

If Nash is an A+ Kidd is an A
Rick Brunson is F

Reply #132401 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

well a point is meant to run the floor and usually the great ones do alot more than what can be read on a stats sheet so to say

"I don't want to hear that Nash/Kidd is better because the team plays crap when they don't play etc. I want to hear some real discussion."

means you are taking alot out of the discussion because if the team plays alot worse without their starting PG it can show either that the back up PG is bad and/or the starter does alot more than just improve the stats column.

Reply #132402 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

dry back - agreed, the main reason I said that was I didn't want to hear the Nash is better because withouth him they went 0-4 or whatever. If people can justify their reasoning I'm open for it.

IMO Kidd is the better PG, mainly because as SVD said Kidd can play lockdown D, which IMO is what is required in the NBA finals.

I think if I had to choose one I would go with Kidd.

Reply #132403 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Going on stats alone is a very hard thing to do. IMO its the other things that make one player better than the other.

To me it seems that Nash is clean cut, happy to do media, a great ambassador for his team. He gives off the impression he would be a great team mate and good in the locker room - everyone would like him etc etc.

Kidd on the other hand can seem quite the opposite. He has had publicised run ins with the law and he often looks angry/pissed off on court. I dont know that he would be the most friendly/personable guy to have in the locker room (Only an opinion from what I have seen - he may be the nicest/happiest guy in the world) He has also bounced between a few teams now so maybe that tells us something too.

So IMO looking at the whole picture if I was picking a PG to play for my franchise Id grab Nash over Kidd even though Kidd does come out in front on pure stats alone.

Reply #132405 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Agreed Statman - that was a mistake on my behalf in the original post making it sound like I was basing everything on Stats alone.

Isaac said a similar thing to me about Nash's "Brand" being more appealing. Each to their own I guess.

Do people think that Championship Rings come into it?

Say for example Kidd/Nash plays in all but the 7th game in a finals series averaging a triple double for the series and their team wins it, does Kidd/Nash missing the deciding game make them any less worthwhile to their team? in comparison to if they did play?

Reply #132409 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Thanks to Isaac for working this out - I now have the HSA ratings for Kidd and Nash

Regular Season Ratings:

Kidd: 43.2
Nash: 42.1

Reply #132416 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those are for the regular season. So far in the post season, Kidd is a few clear of Nash.

Reply #132430 | Report this post

key-shaw  
Years ago

'jules' said it best on a recent thread titled 'ESPN pick their NBA winners' (check it out) i know it doesnt stack nash up against kidd but it makes enough claims that nash is way too good for any point guard

Reply #132443 | Report this post

key-shaw  
Years ago

if u do plan on reading it, its pretty long. im warning u, this may be the largest post ive ever seen!

Reply #132444 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Kidd for sure.......Nash cant play Defence

It hasnt shown against the Lakers, but lets see how he goes defending the likes of Tony Parker

Or will the Suns give him the soft option of guarding Bowen

Reply #132446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nash is a better team leaderand offense player. he is also proved that he can be a clutch player, knowcking down a three against kidd and the nets, and then again when they beat the mavs.

BUt kid is an all around player, he can contoll the game with his passing, the bad thing is he is very inconcistent with some games getting 15 assists other only getting 5. Kidd is a better defender though, really if you have any of these players you will be happy

Reply #132448 | Report this post

bobo24  
Years ago

'key-shaw' yeah good read, although i didnt understand it until i read the post he was reffering to, so u need to read that for it to make sense

Reply #132450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J-KIDD anyday!

Reply #132466 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

Nash hands down! statistically better, personality better. Kidd gets rebounds so what, he's a PG doesn't need to. There long off the board and ring anyway most of the time and Nash gets back to quick to cover in defence rather than going for the rebounds. I think Nash does that bit extra around the floor, running the floor and when you see his assists, always takes the right options. So does Kidd, but Nash does it marginally better. I think his coolness on the court and his icing of shots at crucial points in games, wins it for him

Reply #132478 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

love this discussion.. great point guards both of them. shocked but not surprised to hear kidds stats in the playoffs, ave a triple double!! dam.
nash averging 15 and 15 aint to shabby either.

to break in down - better defender/kidd. better shooter/nash. better rebounder/kidd. better passer nash. better handle/ oooooh nash, i guess. better leader/nash! better reading of the game/ who Bloody knows.?.?.?
kidd has made it to the finals twice, nash has 2 m.v.p's! took a while for nash to develop in the NBA, kidd made instant impact. would be interesting to see who NBA players would choose as the better point guard?

if nash and kidd were to go one on one half court first to 11, a score is 1 point. Who do you think would win?? both can score but can nash stop kidd??

Reply #132479 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

by the way... NASH for me!

Reply #132480 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

Kidd. More complete player.

Reply #132488 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Nash's ablility to hit the clutch three and step it up in the crunch puts him ahead IMO. If Kidd had a more consistent three ball then his rebounding and defense would put him ahead, but the way Nash can hurt you so many ways offensively means he gets my vote.

Reply #132494 | Report this post

The only thing Kidd does better is grab rebounds. I don't know why you hate Nash so much Bizzy, when Kidds done nothing that Nash has. oh except for getting shitty triple doubles. I'd rather take a PG who can shoot than rebound.

Reply #132516 | Report this post

Hes the second most potent player on offense in the league. IMO. Kobe, him. Maybe duncan. Vs Kidd, a guy who can't make his team mates better, who cant shoot, and has a rep as a defender which he should have lost about two seasons ago. oh but he can rebound. Which slows down his fast breaks

Reply #132520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Check out the highlights of Nash's 23 assists the other night. A few standard 'NBA' assists, a few alleys to Marion, but then some absolutely pin-point dream passes to Amare that barely skim past a defender's knee.

Nash over Kidd because, as others have said, he can score when required and does it with impressive percentages.

Reply #132522 | Report this post

Haha... as a nash fan even i will say only about 16 of those were assists. that one to diaw on the elbow how he took two dribbles around the guy? what is the NBA thinking?

Reply #132523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That many fans get excited about statisticians being a little flexible? I know that I look at a boxscore, see "20 rebounds" or "15 assists" and marvel at and/or talk about it.

Would've been 12-15 in the NBL rather than 23!

Reply #132526 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Northerner is not going to be happy with all these people voting for Nash.

Reply #132534 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Let them vote with their heads Moses... You and I know who gets the bums on the seats!!!!

Say it loud and say it proud peoples
"N...E...T...S.... Nets, Nets, Nets!!!"

Reply #132719 | Report this post

------  
Years ago

JKIDD is a better poijnt guard than Nashy. Thanx m8 for starting this argument up. I was also looking at here stats. In the reg season Nash may hav wat, 5 more points, a couple more assists but Kidd has the rebounds and those nice stls. Plus kidd is the triple dub king. Kidd is averging a trip dub in the post season anyway. Kidd is way better and he should hav got the MVP instaed of NASh. Atleast 1 yr.

Reply #132964 | Report this post

nashfan  
Years ago

nash is a way better point gaurd for 2 reasons. he is much more of a team player, and his assists. look first at the stats. Point gaurds arent supposed to rebound, they are supposed to get assists and thats what nash does

Reply #133124 | Report this post

nashfan  
Years ago

nash is a way better point gaurd for 2 reasons. he is much more of a team player, and his assists. look first at the stats. Point gaurds arent supposed to rebound, they are supposed to get assists and thats what nash does

Reply #133125 | Report this post

nashfan  
Years ago

Reply #133126 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754