Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Why we love America: moving the college 3

The NCAA rules committee have approved a rule change to move the 3-point line back from 19-foot-9, to 20-foot-9.

Students of the game would realise that the international FIBA distance is 20-foot-6. So why wouldn't they adopt the standard international distance?

Committee chairman Larry Keating said two proposals were considered. The other would have moved the line to 20 feet, 6 inches, the same distance as international 3-pointers. Both are shorter than the NBA line, which is 23 feet, 9 inches at the top of the key and 22 feet at its shortest point in the baseline corners.

"We made it a point to come up with a distance that was correct for us and that didn't necessarily mimic the international line," Keating said.

Mimic? Are you serious? What about consistency? Frank Layden said it best when talking to Marv Albert in the first (and best) Bloopers video: "Who is this ignorant American?" And to think, they still haven't worked out why they're not the best at the Olympics/world championships.

Click here for the full story.

Topic #11365 | Report this topic

KC- gone  
Years ago

Just another example of in your face from the US to the rest of the world

Reply #132538 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

To quote 'Jean Girade' from RICKY BOBBY;
"Your mistake is one of Ignorance & Pride". (French accent)

(and the late great cornol sanders: im too drunk, to taste this chicken... classic)

Reply #132543 | Report this post

Professor  
Years ago

Whats wrong with that decision???
They can do what they want and why should they do exactly what everyone does. And in the end I think 3 inches is not going to make a difference either way. Some of you people just love to hate

Reply #132547 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I thought Moving The College 3 - was the name of the third installment of some dodgy 80s T&A movie .... where 4 wacky yet loveable underdogs (a normal one, and uber cool one, a nerdy one and a fat one) had to save the college from some stuffed shirt billionaire, a fraternity of rich kids and a crusty dean.

Reply #132621 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Prof

It is wrong because it is the usual American decision to be deliberately provocative and non-conformist: 'Lets do it this way because everyone else in the world does it that way'.

As you say, 3 inches isn't much. Therefore for the sake of 3 inches, why not conform with the FIBA international standard?

Reply #132623 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Brilliant SVD, im sure ive seen parts 1 and 2, as i remember it the plan to save the college is devised by a group of cheerleaders whilst in the showers after the game, My only hope is that part 3 is (as all part 3's should be) in 3D.

Reply #132679 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Professor, your wife certainly thinks that three extra inches makes a difference!

(sorry, it was there, couldn't resist)

Reply #132711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754