Thomo
Years ago

How did Newley slip away from us?

hey im not one for bagging or degrading a player,
but i thought it would pose this question to the forum

how come adelaide let brad newley slip through its grasp and yet we re signed jason williams, when clearley we could have signed newley, now not being a big follower of local basketball here i didnt realise how much of a talent he was but seeing him play and some of the moves hes doing in the nbl no wonder stacker was over the moon when he secured him,

surely adelaide needs to be looking to the future and not resigning a 7 year rookie like williams, williams has had a crack at it and been found wanting but this new kids looks like he will be the real, they way he played against the tigers last night he looks a shoe in for the rookie of the year,

this is just my thoughts, keep rocking sixers , and go you cheer squad,

btw does ne one know whats happening with nashy

Cheers

Andrew

Topic #1137 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley would have asked for more than Jason would be playing for.

Reply #12598 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Newley is a rookie - he has a set salary of $18,000... i'm sure Jason would be paid more than that.

Reply #12599 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Thomo, i agree with your thoughts entirly. jason williams is only in the team because....................actually i cant think of a reason!! y is he still there?

Reply #12618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As pointed out (though I'm not sure of the figure -- I thought $20-25k?), rookies have a maximum salary.

Thus the choice would have come down to differences between:

- basketball program
- team make-up and subsequent opportunities
- sales pitch from the club/coaches

Reply #12629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil didn't want him.

Reply #12631 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I think you'd look at Isaac's last reason as the clutch.

Reply #12652 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Add to that the track-record of player development from the coaching staff and program in general. Stacker has been a National coach at semi-junior level (IE U23s) and Newley fits the age bracket in which Stacker is best at developing. For his own career, he probably made the right choice. It's a shame that the 36ers don't seem to have put in the hard yards required to get a hot prospect in to their program.

Hopefully we'll see Newley in 6ers colours one day. Until then, good luck ripping up the league! 13.1ppg on 54% FGs in under 20mpg is a fairly decent stat line for a 19 year old!

Reply #12653 | Report this post

in the know  
Years ago

he was always goin to townsville.. knew of this back in January

Reply #12661 | Report this post

old_balls  
Years ago

From memory Boti covered the issue in an article, and Newley's decision was related to him having family or some connection to Townsville.

Somehow you get the feeling that Townsville's NBL program is a little bit more dynamic than most around the league, and resulted in a situation Newley could not resist.

Reply #12662 | Report this post

abafan  
Years ago

probably helps that other programs around australia like to focus on developing juniors instead of sticking with oldies to keep filling spots, sooner rather than later those old legs are going to run out and in the case of the tigers it happened about three years ago and now look at there program, anyone who saw the game on sat night would have been embarrassed to be a tiger fan, over 35 ball could be an option for them. rookies wont to go to clubs that develop otherwise you end up with a jason type situation where he becomes a 7 year rookie and same could happen to many others in a program that doesnt help develop!!

Reply #12666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: How did Newley slip away from us? (#12631)
Phil didn't want him.

Anonymous, 07/11/04

Why not? He is going to be rookie of the year. Good to hear other insights though and hope he comes back one day, soon.

Reply #12956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754