Isaac
Years ago

BASA's financial plight front page news

Those who picked up The Independent Weekly today would have seen the front page article regarding the downward turn of the Sixers, Lightning and BASA.

Given the very prominent and specific mentioning of coaching salaries and contracts, I'd suspect this to be a new shot fired between the club and Phil Smyth. It's no secret that the club is not a fan of Boti Nagy and his contributions to The Advertiser, so I'd guess that the Independent Weekly is a fresh avenue for the point of view of the club.

Let's hope this is a case of any news is good news, otherwise I can't imagine who's going to see such a perspective and want to come along.

Until more is done by the club to market the Sixers and their games, the excuses expressed in the article could be taken to appear all too convenient. Whether it is as a result of answers provided by the club or by the slant given by the IW reporter, there is no mention of positive aspects of the season (Farley, games on Fox, big wins at home, return of family tickets).

Topic #1141 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a copy of the article online?

Reply #12644 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Just finished reading the article there is a bit of guess work by the writer but it makes it pretty clear the sixers, BASA and Lightning are losing huge amounts of money.......

sell the PowerDome and lease it back as a way of getting out of debt.

Sell the Lightning off to someone who beleives that womens sport can be profitable....

Sell the sixers to a business person who knows the value of the product and what it is capable of.

BASA should get back to the business of administrating basketball in this state rather than trying to run three professional entities and doing none of it well.

Reply #12670 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unfortunately it's not available online.

A few of the figures included in the article were regarding losses (Sixers lost $600,000 last year), coaching salaries (though compared to salaries from 12 years ago which seemed a bit forced!) and ticket sales (season ticket sales down at least 500 from last year).

It didn't really make anything about the team, coaches, administration, women's team, etc look positive at all.

I don't know about the financial situations of other clubs in the league, but surely this would make it hard for the club to recruit quality players? Would Brett Maher be more likely to play in Europe next season if he doubted the strength of his employer?

It certainly gave the impression that a critical issue to come would be the re-signing or not of Phil Smyth and Steve Breheny.

Reply #12673 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Forgot to mention that it compared Smyth and Breheny's salary to that of Shipway and Leslie. The later were only employed part time so the gap between then and now would not be that great i would think.

Reply #12674 | Report this post

It's just one big dysfunctional family.

Reply #12680 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

$240,000 for Phil, $100,000 for Steve, 5 year contracts for players. I hope the last one leaving turns off the lights. All this happened on Bernie Lewis watch. No wonder he wanted out, it wouldn't help his "financial" reputation if he stayed. A few more of the board should have left at the same time. Got to hand it to Phil though, he certainly stitched up basketball in this state! Time to get basketball people back with their heart in the right place.

Reply #12702 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

3 Championships in 5 years.....what price do you put on that Jay???

Reply #12709 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

Kent

In the world of business they call it bankrupcy

Reply #12712 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If a business is headed for bankruptcy then the first thing it does is get some people invloved that know what they are doing....trim the fat and hit the reset button.

Instead certain costs have ballooned out as the cow is being bled dry. The down side was never considered it seems before money was spent on consultants etc.

Cut the costs, set lose the parts of the business that are costing money and start again with more knwoledge about how the business should be run

Reply #12714 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, they have had the experts in for 2 years, being the State Government Auditor-Generals department.

As for wages for Breheny and Smyth, they are just figures plucked out of thin air (unless the 2 of them have publicly discussed them somewhere, which I doubt).

I cant beleive Jay is having a whinge about offering 5 year contracts to Smyth and Breheny. Given what they had done in the first season, they had every right to expect, and receive some form of job security (as much as a coach can have)

I must admit I cant work out how staff numbers can continue to grow, when finances are so dire, and BASA cant fully pay the staff they have there already.

Reply #12725 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Well I think that BASA might be hitting the panic button a bit because they are selling assets at the moment in the form of their Mitsubishi Magnas. Anyone want a cheap car? Maybe they can sell the Dome, franchise the sixers and Ligthing while they are at it.

Barry Richardson started this mess and hope the Governemnt catch up with this guy because he has a lot to answer for.

Reply #12730 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Gee, just as well the salary cap was introduced by the NBL for the benefit of all the other clubs in trouble!!

Reply #12761 | Report this post

cheek  
Years ago

sixers have to become a seperate entity get rid of them and just worry about the junior basketball. Put your money into the future not the present or we may not have one.

Reply #12763 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754