Rodney Carney
Years ago

Kobe and The Lakers

Lets face it. Even if he's still on the good side of the slope Kobe isn't getting any younger and the team they've put around him looks like its not going to be competitive in a Western Conference which is going to be even more competitive next season, with Golden State having improved, Martin returning to Denver etc. Should the Lakers continue rebuilding by adding fresh young talent or should they go for broke and sign one of the many big name free agents over the summer and see if they can win one more with Kobe?

Topic #11421 | Report this topic

i think its about when they want to win. If they want to win now, with kobe, they trade bynum. If they want to win 10 years down the track, keep bynum, move kobe, and get some picks or something.

Reply #133166 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There are only two names (well, three but I'm not counting Kobe) on the Lakers roster that teams will accept in trading for a elite player and that is Odom and Bynum.

As ELG stated the Lakers either need to bite the bullet and decided to win now or win in 5 years.

IMO the only two elite players (that could be had now) that would put LA on par with the other elite teams is Kidd and KG. I'm not sure if Jermaine O'Neal or Gasol would put them into elite status (would make them very very good though).

Oh they need to get rid of Smush (headcase) and Rad (costing to much $$ for a 3 point shooter), and hope that one day Kwame pulls his head from his ar$e and plays like the No 1 pick.

They have to resign Walton as well.

Also, Kobe has a 'no trade' clause in his contract so it's gonna have to be good bye Odom and Bynum.

Reply #133181 | Report this post

ahh wildcats!  
Years ago

Kobe & KG, now that would be an
allstar Duo..

I'd rate that over every other duo in the league..
- TMac & Yao
- Carter & Kidd
- Nash & Nash
- Shaq & Wayde
- Arenas & Arenas & Arenas & Arenas (& Arenas)

Reply #133222 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

the thing is aswell kobe yes isnt getting any younger but he is getting better. if thats beleiveable.

Reply #133246 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

TR,

Word out of Lakers camp is that Smush is gone already.

Reply #133256 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

does not surprise me at all. what did smush get in the playoffs.. jack all court time really.. seriously the whole world could see that one coming.. good move to in my opion..

Reply #133285 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

Does Kobe deserve one last hoorah? and would the Lakers as an organisation owe it to him to sign a big name soon or does he take what he gets for apparently running The Diesel out a town

Reply #133301 | Report this post

Bogut  
Years ago

IMO - Diesel & Kobe wouldnt of done hugely better than Diesel & Wade this season - sh*t the Heat got knocked out first round FFS!
Kobe needs some new bl00d - KG to the Lakers!

Reply #133312 | Report this post

Phd Shot  
Years ago

The Lakers need a solid point gaurd, they should sign Kidd and run the best team at the 2 gaurd positions in the league. keep bynum he will be a great player in the years 2 come he is developing amazingly at the moment so keep him trade odom he could bring some fresh faces 2 the lakers or possibly another star.

Reply #133318 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Add Duncan and Parker to that list of premium duos

Reply #133319 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

With what the Lakers are truly likely to receive for what they are prepared to offer in trades, they may have to take a fly on some flawed players, whether that be coming back from long term injuries (say Bobby Simmons from the Bucks), have had issues with recent teams (Bonzi Wells at Houston or Steve Francis at New York) or maybe even in the Draft (Seann Williams from Boston - leading shotblocker in College Hoops and leading purchaser of Jamaica's finest!).

Just like KG (& Shaq), the only way Kobe is going to get another Championship (due to the amount of money he is getting paid) is to be surrounded by the right sort of role players (see Duncan, Tim for the recipe) or get lucky with a Draft Pick (see Miami - Wade, D) who can get him over the line. The only other way might be if a couple of veteran free agents are prepared to sign for low money to try and get a title (ala Payton & Malnoe). A name like Grant Hill might be one of those options.

Reply #133336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754