cavalo
Years ago

Jason Williams

Alright, I know from reading these posts for a while now that I will be starting a contentious thread, but I want to share my two cents about this Sixers team member.

Here goes... It seems as though the majority of posts regarding Jason seem to bag him and how it is a 'disgrace' (my choice of words) that he is even playing with the Sixers. I think somewhere along the line everyone forgot that he is a ROLE player on the team. I'm sure we could all name a stack of role players and what they contribute etc and compare them to Jason, but roles are different on every team. Obviously Jason has been given another contract as Phil and the other powers that be believe he can contribute something. I seriously don't think they expect him to score 20 points a night, 8 rbs & 6 ass. like it sometimes sounds like people on this forum thinkJason has never showed he can do that at NBL level, and probably never will (OK, he never will!).

What he can contribute are some solid minutes as a back-up guard. Due to the fact he has been with the Sixers so long, he knows the offences inside out, is an excellent PASSER of the ball within the offence, even though he does make poor decisions every now and then with the ball, can knock down the three and something which I think goes a little unnoticed and unapplauded is his work ethic on the court. He is always busting his butt in D (even though he doesn't have the quickest legs in the league, but remember he ends up guarding people like CJ, Rucker etc who blow by anyone anyways one on one) and is full of energy and helps get the team a little more pumped up (Kings game as a recent example).

These are the positive points which I have raised about him. I'm sure everyone who will reply will post twice as many negatives. Also, Jason is not a '7 year rookie' - where did this term get coined?? I don't want to make this sound as though I am comparing, just merely stating a fact, but notice how Phil in the last 3-4 games has switched from subbing Ng on first to Jason at the guard position? And before I forget, where do the comparisons of Newley and Williams come from? Don't blame Jason for not having Newley here in Adelaide (as silly as that could possibly be!) I could be wrong, but wasn't Jason one of the last players to get a spot on the team this year? Plenty of time to get Newley on board. Once again, Phil and the boys saw that they could get a back-up ROLE PLAYER on the team in Jason who can contrbiute in the 10-15 minutes he gets a game (if he's lucky).

I just think we should appreciate him for what he is, nothing more, nothing less - a ROLE player, like the many others we have had over the years and which every team needs.

Topic #1145 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I think J Wills spot on this years team was a case of "better the devil you know"

He is a role player and should be playing ahead of Darren who does not have the size or strength to play in the NBL which is a shame becuase he has a great shot and is athletic enough.

Reply #12672 | Report this post

yoll

thanks to Jason Williams Mum, for posting that message.

Im sure anyone with a brain for basketball can make up their own mind about Jason Williams.

Reply #12682 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

I agree Jason is a convenient comfortable fit for the back up gaurd role. On a good night he is good and on a bad night he can look ordinary but you can apply that to anyone on the court.
Maybe Darren is tied up with exam stuff at the moment so Jason gets his opportunity to establish his value to the team.

Reply #12694 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I dont deny Jason does a good role, as just that, a role player.

But what the 6ers need to be looking at is trying to blood someone to take over when Maher retires (lets face it, it aint that far away). Williams is NOT that choice. They should have signed one of the young up and coming guards (Gerlach perhaps??) who could sit on the bench, take in the atmosphere, learn the system on and off court...then next year maybe get a few minutes here and there...stepping it up over the next couple of seasons.

However, the emergence of giards such as Newley and Kendall this year also blow my theory to pieces, tearing it up as rookies.

Reply #12708 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Agred Yogee it is a very hard job to replace a talent like Brett. All i think of is what happened to Boston, LA and Chicago when their superstars retired......lets hope when Newley is up for grabs everything gets thrown at him to come back here.

Reply #12710 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

I agree guys - I love Ng and his abilities but I don't think he will step up and become a great player like Maher or a great SG at NBL (all due to his size).

Hopefully Adelaide will go hard to get Newley when his first contract with T/ville is up. Fingers crossed, he wants to come back to Adelaide!

Reply #12713 | Report this post

showtime lakers  
Years ago

the problem is .

that he was chosen as the last spot in th team.

he is not going to do abything for the sixers franchise. why not take a risk on a up and coming rookie. Williams wont do anything anyway, u might aswell use that spot for a rookie.

and darren ng is much more vaulable to the sixers than williams. he dominates over him

Reply #12758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is that because darren can knock down more garbage time 3's?

Reply #12848 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just because Jason was added to the team last, I don't think he's necessarily the tenth man. He's occasionally coming in as first sub for Farley.

I don't think there were any better options in the ABL, but there could be someone returning from US college programs, or still at the AIS.

Or someone not getting the minutes at another club, like Corletto, Robertson, Tait, etc.

Reply #12849 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

Isaac, better options?

Brenton Campbell all the way man

Reply #12851 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree that he's a good player, but as first sub for a 23 PPG starter?

Reply #12853 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

Well it was said they need a rookie, this guy has potential, at least second or third season in he will be scoring around twenty per game.

Maybe he could fullfil the roll as Willie's backup spot.

Reply #12854 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

My opinion of Jason Williams is well known, if he is only filling in the 10th spot on the roster as a 7th year player we are wasting our time.

Reply #12855 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

But who do you replace him with....Lowery or sum such who is ageing and basically the same type of player or a rookie who has to spend time learning the ropes and getting to know the team or someone who is a known quantity?

I would go with what you know

Reply #12856 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I know what you mean Kent but as someone said earlier, what about looking to the future with Brett most likely to seek a European contract the next couple of years?

Reply #12857 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

C'mon, fairs fair. Nobody can wave a towell like J Wills does.

Reply #12867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about, instead of getting on Jason's case, those of you who don't like him being in the team, point the finger at Phil. He picked the guy. Is Jason supposed to turn down the contract and opportunity to play? If you think a rookie or a younger player should have that spot, then blame Phil.

It gets really boring listening to the same guys bash Jason all the time. If you don't like him as a player then fine, express your opinion (in doing so, try to remember that he has 3 NBL and 2 ABA championships - more than any of us will ever have combined). But if your beef is with him being in the team, then don't bash Jason, bash Phil.

Jason is in the team because Phil, the coach we all know and love, the coach who has taken the Sixers to 3 championships, picked the guy.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with Phil.

Reply #12886 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Thank you anonymous! Very well said!

Reply #12893 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Well then Phil needs to have a long look at himself in a full length mirror...

Reply #12948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

winning championships as a bench warmer doesnt count

Reply #12950 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Hang on a minute...it does not say on his championship rings that he was a bench warmer.
I think that was a bit harsh. I'll stick up for you on that one Jason.

Reply #12952 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Hang on a minute...it does not say on his championship rings that he was a bench warmer.
I think that was a bit harsh. I'll stick up for you on that one Jason.

Reply #12953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a waste of time, other players in the ABA can contain him. I think money would be better spent developing a rookie player. His "role" in the team is overrated, compare him to the lists of other NBL teams and there is no comparison because they are spending their money on DEVELOPMENT.

Reply #12980 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

Jason Williams (#12886)
that post says it all take it up with Phil besides he is in the team live with it

Reply #12986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754