Bizzy
Years ago

Dirk to Win MVP

It appears that the worst-kept secret in the NBA will be out in the open by early next week.

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki, whose coronation as the first European-born Most Valuable Player in NBA history has been expected for weeks, is scheduled to officially receive the MVP trophy at a Tuesday news conference in Dallas, ESPN.com has learned.

The NBA has handed out its past three MVPs -- two straight to Phoenix's Steve Nash after Minnesota's Kevin Garnett won in 2004 -- at the start of the second round. But it's believed the league opted to put some distance between Nowitzki's ceremony and the Mavericks' stunning first-round exit against Golden State.

Rest of article @ ESPN

Well no surprises here. And even though it is a regular season award, it seems oh so wrong to let Dirk keep it.

Topic #11455 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Had the following conversation earlier today with a Dallas native - let's call him an employee of the US Government - who'd just arrived in Adelaide this morning.

BH: So, you're from Dallas?
DN: Yep.
BH: Follow the Mavs?
DN: Yep, when I can. Been busy lately though - how they been going?
BH: Um, you mean you don't know?
DN: Nope.
(pause)
BH: Really?
DN: Nope - why?
BH: They got bounced in the first round. By Golden State. It was first versus eighth.
DN: Really?
BH: Afraid so. You really didn't know this?
DN: Do now.
BH (beating hasty retreat): Enjoy your stay in Adelaide!

Reply #133624 | Report this post

i dont think he deserves it. but im happy he got it. just for the awkward press conference that is about to happen.

Reply #133630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dirk played well yes, but he does not deserve it, he chocked in the big games were he was needed and look what he has done in the playoffs (yes, i know its a regular season award)
but he has chocked under presure. nash on the other hand loves pressure handing loses to dallas in the double overtime game were he hit a buzzer beater three and then the same thing against the nets.

congrats to nowitzski though,

he better cherish it coz it is his last one unless he steps up.

Reply #133634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"dirk played well yes, but he does not deserve it, he chocked in the big games were he was needed and look what he has done in the playoffs (yes, i know its a regular season award)
but he has chocked under presure. nash on the other hand loves pressure handing loses to dallas in the double overtime game were he hit a buzzer beater three and then the same thing against the nets.

congrats to nowitzski though,

he better cherish it coz it is his last one unless he steps up."

Agree 100%.. Nash in my opion.. but what can you do..

Reply #133671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nash finally gets robbed of his MVP :)

Other years should've gone to Shaq or Timmy D

Reply #133700 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

If Kobe had a better supporting cast and record, he would of had it.

Reply #133707 | Report this post

rybags  
Years ago

Dirk a Dirk a is a chocker. the MVP should be done later. during the finals would be better.

Go SPURS!

Reply #133726 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Isnt that the reason why it is regular season MVP and Finals MVP?

Agreed that Nash is a formidable player and plays well in the clutch, Dirk lead the best team in the league all season and improved a lot against last year, equally so did the Mavs record.

MVP for mine is about the guy who makes the team better, the guy that they need to get wins over the line.Take Kobe out of LA or Kidd out of NJ and what do you get?

Yes Dirk will have the GSW series live long in the memory but his reg season performance is MVP worthy for mine.

You dont need to get you team to the last 7 game series to be worthy of MVP.

Reply #133731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #133922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirk deserved the MVP he played a great season mavs were all dissapointing in the finals so dont put it all on Dirk he is a quality player and the most solid player on there team

Reply #133933 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754