Anonymous
Years ago

3 Referees Last Weekend

I have been surprised that this hasn't been mentioned already, but it kind of has been in other threads, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a seperate topic.

What were people's thoughts about having 3 person officiating on ABA games last weekend?

Both positive and negative comments would be appreciated, but also keep them constructive thanks.

A couple of questions would possibly be:

** Were there any massive differences into the way games were officiated last weekend?

** Did games continue to flow and be well managed or did the 3rd official act as a 3rd wheel?

** If used in the playoffs, would it be a positive or a negative? Would that provide inconsistancies from the way the rest of the season was and is going to be refereed due to the 3rd person?

From what I saw on the weekend it was somewhat successful, and with more practice and regularity it would be beneficial for the league.

Interesting to hear your (constructive) thoughts...

Topic #11558 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haven't been to a ABA game all year, but surely the idea of 3 officials is a great one!

Reply #135045 | Report this post

Not in play offs  
Years ago

I think three refs is a good idea in theory, but i do not feel like we have enough good refs to do it. It is hard enough that 2 refs umpire differently let alone a third throwing another spin on things.... and definatley not in play-offs....not this year.

I think it is ridiculous trialing something in the main season. Why did they not trial it in summer and then make a decision. Its not fair on the players if they play 15 out of 18 games during a season with 2 refs but then have 3 refs for the finals.

I found one game on the weekend to be very frustrating. One ref, who was the best ref on the court barely blew his whistle, the other was ok, and the other just was so inconsistant and blew his whistle on everything. You could see both teams were frustrated. The whistle would blow and the players would have no idea what was to be called by this bloke...i even saw at one stage the other two refs look at each other and shrug their shoulders cause they didn't know what was going on. I don't think their are enough good refs in our state at the moment to provide 3 reasonably consistant refs at each game, and it certainly cannot be introduced during finals when it has only been trailed a couple of times.

Its an okay idea, but i think it needs alot of work over next summer before it is brought into the league full time, and certainly needs more work if its going to be used in finals.

Reply #135053 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Only had to read the first sentence of the above post....they need 'on the job' training to get better.

Reply #135059 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You only get better by wanting to improve and being given the opportunity to do better games.

3 man can offers this.

Reply #135119 | Report this post

Gravity man  
Years ago

3 Referees great ideafor ABL games,can BASA afford it,(Mod: Deleted. Personal attack.) I am for the 3 man referees on court, (Mod: Deleted. Personal attack.).

Reply #135129 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

Would have been great if they didnt look like the deers that i was shooting in the park last week.... running around like idiots not knowing what was going on.
How about we give them proper training, instead of 2 weeks of div2s then throwing them in the big league?

Reply #135162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you get the mix of refs right, it would provide good support for younger refs.

Reply #135173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The idea that it should have been done in summer is good. And yes, there are not enough referees who know how to run 3-man and still actually ref at the required standard, but this is because its not done often enough to learn! Cost is the factor in not doing this earlier.
To try and reduce this inexperience, a number of refs are running 3-man on games on Friday night juniors and midweek div 3/4/5 games, for free. Simply to get used to it. It needs a lot more teamwork than normal to make it work.
As far as finals is concerned, it should be ok, as the number of refs needed is a lot less, but without prior practice it could be a fiasco and ruin the games

Reply #135250 | Report this post

Not in play offs  
Years ago

I don't think there are three refs good enough to ref in a mens grand final!

Reply #135273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cost is not an issue with the tree man on aba. with two refs they spend the same amount than three man, they have just cut down to fit in three refs. same amount spent just differnt for two man and three man.

Reply #135294 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

#135294, can you please expland on the 'Tree man on ABA' concept?

Reply #135467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha ur soo funny

Reply #135480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the refs are "branching out" :)

Reply #135501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754