Basnett St
Years ago

Classic: Who are 'Corio Bay?'

Scouting out the Classic for the 16 Boys and noticed 'Corio Bay' is sitting 3rd behind Dandy & Melbourne in the VC.
Who and where are 'Corio Bay?'

Where the hell did they come from?

Topic #11559 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are a place down near Geelong. They have had some problems with committees along the way etc and broke away to form their own club.

Their 16s team has a few Vic Country representatives in there too. They are a pretty decent group.

Reply #135058 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Geelong is actually on Corio bay. The team is the cream of the Geelong and surrounding district. Should come third behind other 2 vic teams at classics. Very good pressing team of which the SA teams don't seem to handle very well. Look out for another vic surprise at the tournament as well.

Reply #135062 | Report this post

Stats Room  
Years ago

Stingray, are you out there to give us more details?

Reply #135064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Stingray coaches this team!

Reply #135066 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Hey All,
Corio Bay is my crew. We are based in Geelong city, the Geelong Program is based out of town in North Geelong.
We are the largets association an my boys, 16B VC are in the Classic.
We do play some uptempo play but can play either up&downs or 1/2 court.
I was hoping my old club, South Adelaide's 16 Boys would qualify for the tourny buy not to ne.
Were looking forward to it, want to see what the Westies have to offer the VC crew - ive got alot of mail on them.

Looking forward to the classic baby. D

Reply #135249 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

By the way Stingray, you still haven't gotten back to me!!!

Reply #135306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singray tells porkies. The Stingrays are in South Geelong, not in the city. Basketball Geelong are in North Geelong which is not out of town. In fact, Basketball Geelong are based at the Arena, which is the venue that hosted the nationals in 2005/6.

Reply #135310 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Anon (atleast sign a name dogg..) is actually incorrect on that note, Geelong Basketball club play out of the suburb 'Corio' which is the corio Stadium, about 10+ minutes out of the city. Its a rough area, alot like sailsbury in Adelaide.
The fact we have 'Corio' in our name is the reason why we are so anal about the fact we are 'Corio BAY' which is the 'city' of Geelong not Corio. Our gym is about 2 minutes from the city centre & we are the biggest stadium in town.
It seems this cat is a bit sensative of the area they play out of?
Panther, ill hit you back re the weekend were heading back over this week. Looking forward to seeing the south boys.

Reply #135417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry stinggray (apparently we have to mispel words with an extra 'g' now),

biggest stadium in town? have you done some work there? The Arena in Nth Geelong has four courts, one with approx 1600 seating and one with about approx 300 and the others without spectator seating. The South Geelong facility also had four courts with a bench for spectators down one end - or are you counting the netball courts? - its been a few years since I've been there so sorry if i got that wrong.

Whichever way you cut it the Arena, and I was last there for ABA Nationals in 2005, is a vastly superior facility to the dump at South Geelong. (by the way Corio is a dump too) I understand the Council now control the Arena and have done a lot of work.

Basketball Geelong (used to be GABA) are based at the Arena. Basketball Geelong might play rep at Corio but it is not their base - they have their office at the Arena. They play most of their competitions at the Arena and a small overflow at Corio.

You've contradicted yourself. Your first post had Basketball Geelong at Nth Geelong, now you have them at Corio. Sorry mate, your stadium is not in the City of Geelong, its in South Geelong, in an area that could most generously be described as light industrial. It's surrounded by small sheds and car yards. Its hardly glamourous.

Now some things might have changed cause I have not lived in Geelong for a few years but I can't see you having "greened" up the Area where the stadium is in crown street or having had it rezoned to the "city".

Not sensitive, just don't like people misrepresenting.

Having said all this, if you are the Coach of the that group congrats - they have done a great job this year - I saw them play at Nunawading earlier in the year - I think they lost narowly but were hardly disgraced.

Reply #135424 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

I appreciate that bud, thanks for the congrats- would mean more if you posted a name!?
You ended your reply alot more calmer than you began it, you need to ease the emotion out it, your a bit sensative but its entertaining.
You make some sense in a few things your saying but ill clarify a few points.
The Supercats court is not classified as a gaba court first of all & gaba have never had any need for a 1600 seat stadium, no one goes to any games that geelong play in. It was alays a pleasure to go on the road when we were playing Big V as it was very embarrassing that the visiting teams always had more supporters than us at the arena!
Look but your right about the dump, we run out of a tin shed (so do south adelaide and they love their shed like we do baby) then isn't it an intesting KPI that we have become the largest progarm in Geelong & CV in less than 3 years out of our dump. Imagine if we ran out of a new stadium... maybe like the one going up in Warne Ponds soon.... Peace bro.
You sound passionate about your hoops and Geelong, you should look into the job opening at gaba at the end of the month.
Remember though, limit your emotion dogg.
D

Reply #135438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of conflicting information here!!

Corio Bay is the Bay Geelong is built around.

Corio is a suburb of Geelong. Quite industrial and not the best area.

Corio Bay Basketball Association is a new group based in South Geelong at the Life Be in it Sports Centre. (2 mins from city centre by car, in an industrial area)

Corio Bay U16 Boys have a good group of players with 1 kid in the Country U16 team. 1 or 2 others could have been close but did not try out. Why?? Rumour says the coach does not support country vic so does not encourage players to get involved.

GABA or Geelong Basketball is located at the Arena in North Geelong and is also an industrial area, 3 mins from city centre by car.

Geelong U16 team is small and average but has a couple of nice players and some good bottom aged players in second team (one is in Country U16 team and another is emergency!!)

Not a lot of love between associations but who cares. Do Dandenong and Nunawading love each other??

Reply #135439 | Report this post

Strom Warning  
Years ago

The Corio Bay 16 coach also runs the Corio Bay Basketball Association and its taken over Geelong in terms of Standard, numbers & development 10 fold. Its great what has happened to Geelong Basketball, they treated families terribly for years without any other choice but weribbee of beyond, now there are 3 rep programs: us (Bellarine Storm), Corio Bay and Geelong.
Corio Bay is the biggest but we have just passed Geelong with over 220 teams now domesticly. Basketball is alive in the Geelong area.

Reply #135455 | Report this post

BigGameJames  
Years ago

Wow, 220 teams in a domestic comp!!!! Why the hell cant we replicate this in Adelaide???????????????

Reply #135456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern Districts comeptition in Melbourne tops that with almost triple the number of teams.

Nothing against Bellarine as they are doing a tremendoues job down there.

But that is the difference between SA and Vic at grassroots.

Reply #135460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Rumour says the coach does not support country vic"

So Stingray, is this true? You do not support your players aiming to achieve a higher standard of basketball?

Reply #135461 | Report this post

zmaster44  
Years ago

Some very interesting opinions here, for an SA site, there appears to be a few geelong people who are regulars. Basketball Geelong (GBBA) no longer play their junior representative home games at the Arena, they play them at a 2 court stadium out in Corio (The Corio Leisuretime centre). This is due to an attempt to increase their domestic competition by running games on a Friday Night in an attempt to replicate Corio Bay. In regards to their crowds for Geelong games, crowd numbers depend on how many of the opposition supports make the trek down, in contrast, try going to a Corio Bay game and finding a seat (NB: the seating on Court 1 of Corio Bay is almost identical in seating to the Arena). You have to wonder why the Big V Youth League Men and Championship Women for Geelong are not allowed to use the main stadium that the Supercats use. Name another club that has three senior rep teams that use different courts. Something not right about that.
I still can't see anyone getting close to knocking off Dandenong, underfeated in VC and have 5 of the 10 State Metro players.

Reply #135468 | Report this post

zmaster44  
Years ago

Not only is the size of the Corio Bay domestic program impressive, the quality coming out of it is pretty good.

Under 12 Boys - 2007 Victorian Country State Champions in Division 2 (only 2 players in this team had played rep before)

Under 14 Boys - 2005 VJBL Metro 2 Champions (No players had played rep before)
2006 VJBL Metro 2 Runners Up (2nd year team)
2005 Victorian Country State Runners Up Division 1 (No players had played rep before)

Under 14 Girls - 2006 VJBL North West Division 1 Runners Up (No players had played rep)

Under 16 Boys - 2006 VJBL Metro 2 Champions (2nd year team)

2005 - 2/2 in VJBL Metro Leagues
2006 - 3/5 in VJBL Metro Leagues
2007 - 8/11 in VJBL Metro Leagues

Thats a pretty fair success rate for a three year old program that has not gone and recruited players from other programs (that is not directed at any other program) rather focused on developing home grown talent.

Reply #135471 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

In reply to the post by annon: (#135461)

Any coach who does not want his players to reach the highest level needs to assess themselves. Im am very passionate about developing our players to be the best they can be, providing them with the opportunities to learn from coaches who have acheived as players and coaches. This is why we have coaches involved such as Brian Goorjian, Lindsey Gaze, Cal Buton, Russ Riches, Wayne Davidson, Scott Ninnis, Greg Smith to name a few.
From a personal coaching point of view, I provide our players the opportunity to play at the highest level against the highest of standards, in Australia and overseas (re; usa tour 06/07, VC, Classic & Nationals).
I think from the tone of your post im guessing that you are rating the U16 CV Team as the highest opportunity for our players? My opinion of the CV State team this year is very strong, they are coached by a guy i really like and i think CV are very lucky to have him. The CV team will be a suprise in the Nationals this year.
The reason we speculate that our CBBRP 16B players were not too keen be apart of the CV 16B team this year is due to the fact we have very high demands on our training schedule as it is, players very unfamiliar with the state programs and coaches, have higher asperations, play footy,coaching staff does not Push the state program down our players throats but we always provide the opportunity & Materials for their events. Its an individual choice as it was for one of our players who is in the team this year - we could not be prouder of our first ever state player from the CBBA & CBBRP.

So to clarify, the CBBRP, myself and our 16B Coaching staff strive to give our players the skills, knowlege and opportunities to acheive the Highest standards of Basketball and we care for our players very much. We also aim to develop not only great players but great people with high work ethics & excellent sportsmanship.

Reply #135475 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Well said Stingray, look forward to catching up with you in a few weeks!

Reply #135478 | Report this post

mminteresting  
Years ago

In reply to the post by annon: (#135461)

Any coach who does not want his players to reach the highest level needs to assess themselves. Im am very passionate about developing our players to be the best they can be, providing them with the opportunities to learn from coaches who have acheived as players and coaches. This is why we have coaches involved such as Brian Goorjian, Lindsey Gaze, Cal Buton, Russ Riches, Wayne Davidson, Scott Ninnis, Greg Smith to name a few.
From a personal coaching point of view, I provide our players the opportunity to play at the highest level against the highest of standards, in Australia and overseas (re; usa tour 06/07, VC, Classic & Nationals).

- The highest level in Australia are National Junior Championships. If your players choose not to participate there progress and development is being significantly hindered. How many Div 1 / 2 NCAA or AIS athletes did not play in Australian Junior Nationals at some stage?

I think from the tone of your post im guessing that you are rating the U16 CV Team as the highest opportunity for our players? My opinion of the CV State team this year is very strong, they are coached by a guy i really like and i think CV are very lucky to have him. The CV team will be a suprise in the Nationals this year.
The reason we speculate

- why havent you asked them?

that our CBBRP 16B players were not too keen be apart of the CV 16B team this year is due to the fact we have very high demands on our training schedule as it is, players very unfamiliar with the state programs and coaches, have higher asperations,

- "Have higher aspirations" - so they do not participate? That is a major contradiction.

- Isnt it your job to familiarise your players with what competing at the National level is all about?

- Wouldn't you manage your demanding training schedule to fit in with the State program?

play footy,coaching staff does not Push the state program down our players throats but we always provide the opportunity & Materials for their events.

- You need to make sure if players do not compete at the highest level, and are capable of it, then they will not achieve their full potential. Their best opportunity will be partially self-funded scholarship at a community college.

Its an individual choice as it was for one of our players who is in the team this year - we could not be prouder of our first ever state player from the CBBA & CBBRP.

- You should be proud. Hopefully this player will be successful and open your players eyes in the future.

So to clarify, the CBBRP, myself and our 16B Coaching staff strive to give our players the skills, knowlege and opportunities to acheive the Highest standards of Basketball and we care for our players very much. We also aim to develop not only great players but great people with high work ethics & excellent sportsmanship

Reply #135482 | Report this post

sabasketcases  
Years ago

mminteresting

Great to see someone involved who is passionate and cares for kids. Come over here to the land of nod where all we get are SASI coaches who don't give a rats about kids welfare and think only of them selves and what's in it for them.The older more mature guyz are not so bad - have better peolpe skills.

Keep up the obvious good work.

Reply #135486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should ask dandenong who corio bay are! the stingray kids got up by 7 huge game and huge win!!
yeah stingrays!

Reply #136799 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

Awesome win by Corio Bay to beat a team who is considered the best in the country by 7 at home. People should come see the atmosphere at Corio Bay "Stingray Stadium" as it is called down here, it goes off like fireworks. You would pay money to come watch but it is FREE! This Stingrays team is hungry and will do anything for a win.

Let's bring on the classic and we will show you guys who Corio Bay is.

Reply #136881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steady on Tiger,

Great win of course but the classics sort people out and the season finals are still some time away. Beware the wounded Ranger boys.

Having said that, can't take away from the kids a getting a good win

Reply #136895 | Report this post

Rays 7th man  
Years ago

Dandenong came down the highway expecting another easy win.
Sure enough Our Boys stuck it to them.
Holding them to 3 points in the 2nd, and 5 in the third.
Stingrays 47 d. Dendenong 40.
Watch out for these boys in VC. they're gonna bring it.

Reply #137116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are thereVC games this friday????

Reply #137124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont underestimate sturt either there starting to play there best bball at the rite time

Reply #137134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Dandy have their full squad?

Reply #137162 | Report this post

Rays 7th man  
Years ago

Dandy had there full squad

Reply #137168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rays 7th man,

As I mentioned before, great job by your team, however very different team that will be at the classic beleive me.

They did not just think that they would win it easy, the coach is an exceptional reader of the game and situations and is as hard as nails behind the cool exterior.

Beware the wounded Ranger when you now travel down the highway with nuetral refs.

Reply #137213 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

Corio Bay

You must have had a few bad days.
How you can be doing so well in VC????
From what I saw at the classics with the drum and calling out when foul shots are being made, you just must intimidate the teams you play.
Because you can not out play anyone.

Reply #137888 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

we had a terrible tournament
when we shoot 15-20% in some games u can never win a game.
the team was flat as tack and didn't display their best of their ability. the first loss to werribee started the roll of bad play by us it just went down hill pretty much from them on

Reply #137895 | Report this post

Guru  
Years ago

6th man,

Don't youmean that when you don't have hometown ref's you can't beat anybody.

Not only did you lose, you got thumped by 40+.

Come back when you don't need ref's to help you win.

Reply #137896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the ITCP program and the great coaching staff that Vic Country have, may have helped the Corio Bay boys.... Oh that's right, they don't beleive it is any good.

Sorry, My Bad !

Reply #137976 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

gotta win away as well as home to get a good record in VC!

Reply #138017 | Report this post

Guru  
Years ago

No Rays 6th man,

Just gotta beat the easy teams away. And letting the ref's beat the tough teams at home will do enough.

Reply #138028 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

Guru sounds like your a little fragile after a loss to Corio Bay at home. Couldn't take the heat down there?

We can admit we had a poor tournament but don't start blaming the refs for your loss down here.

Reply #138043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Banned.)

Reply #181270 | Report this post

Deanos man  
Years ago

Ok.... keep it like this
Corio Bay Pwn

Reply #275463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put the BIG BOGAN Statue in Corio Geelong - Victoria

Reply #524886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they build it we will come!

Reply #524923 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754