torn acl
Years ago

more on Summerton's cut

BASKETBALL

Depth Could Be The Key To Sun's Championship Hopes
May 21, 2007
By LORI RILEY, Courant Staff Writer WASHINGTON -- Connecticut Sun coach Mike Thibault agonized over his final cut last week, just like he did last year.

Last year, he cut Jen Derevjanik on the last day. He had too many point guards and he wanted to give her a chance to play elsewhere. Derevjanik signed with Phoenix.

Friday, he cut forward Laura Summerton for the same reason.

One of the players he decided to keep, Megan Mahoney, played well in the Sun's 89-80 opening victory Saturday. So did the rest of the bench, which contributed 21 points, 11 rebounds, two blocks and only had one turnover.

"There were a bunch of people on the bubble," Thibault said of the cut. "We kept [Mahoney] as that player who can move around and play four positions. She's not a [power forward], but she's strong enough to battle some of the smaller post players in the league. We can use her to switch on screens and jump out on guards and go back and play post.

"Laura played well enough to play on a team. I wanted to keep [rookie] Cori [Chambers] as a young player to develop for the future. Asjha [Jones] and Kristen [Rasmussen] are already signed for next year. I felt like no matter what she did, Laura was never going to get any minutes with this team."

Mahoney, who shot 4-for-14 and had 14 turnovers in three exhibition games, hit 5 of 5 free throws Saturday, scoring five points. She had an assist, two offensive rebounds, a steal and no turnovers in 11 minutes.

Backup point guard Jamie Carey hit 2 of 6 three-pointers and was the leading scorer off the bench (eight points). Rasmussen and Erika de Souza, playing their first games for the Sun, combined for eight rebounds. De Souza had four points and two blocks.

"That whole group - Jamie, Megan, Kristen, Erika - all played well," Thibault said. "Erika was a huge presence in the lane. As she gets more comfortable, that will get better for her. She was probably a little nervous in her first game with us."

Carey, Rasmussen and rookie Kamesha Hairston came into the game early in the first quarter. At times, Thibault made mass substitutions and was comfortable playing his reserves together, leaving them in at critical points.

At the end of the third quarter, Mahoney was fouled at the three-point line and hit all three free throws. Carey hit a three-pointer with the shot clock running down to boost the Sun's lead to 69-64 with 28 seconds left in the third.

At the start of the fourth quarter, with the Sun up 69-68, Carey, Mahoney and Rasmussen were on the court, along with starters Margo Dydek and Nykesha Sales.

"It was kind of like a platoon where all of a sudden, all of us are in the game," said Rasmussen, who played 15 minutes. "I think our job is to come in, get some quality minutes, bring energy, maintain or improve the quality of the game, let the [starters] get their rest until they're back in and doing what they do.

"It was fun and it was exciting and it was a good start for us."

Rasmussen came in after Jones left the game with 3:36 left in the first quarter when she was elbowed in the nose. Jones returned in the second half.

"They did a great job," Jones said of the bench. "Offensively, the starters got a little stagnant. The bench brought energy."

Contact Lori Riley at

[email protected].

Topic #11571 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We kept [Mahoney] as that player who can move around and play four positions. She's not a [power forward], but she's strong enough to battle some of the smaller post players in the league. We can use her to switch on screens and jump out on guards and go back and play post."

I believe Laura Summerton is that player too.
Coach T knows Laura is a bloody great girl, with an unquestionable work ethic who would never do anything wrong by anyone.
Coach T also knows that because Laura is so lovely and genuine, she would accept her dismissal gracefully and without a fuss - contrary, i'm sure to the reaction he would have received from Megan Mahoney should she have been cut.
Unfortunate for Coach T that all in good time he will realise what a huge mistake he has made.

Reply #135207 | Report this post

GoSummo!  
Years ago

"We kept [Mahoney] as that player who can move around and play four positions. She's not a [power forward], but she's strong enough to battle some of the smaller post players in the league. We can use her to switch on screens and jump out on guards and go back and play post."

I believe Laura Summerton is that player too.

Coach T knows Laura is a bloody great girl, with an unquestionable work ethic who would never do anything wrong by anyone.

Coach T also knows that because Laura is so lovely and genuine, she would accept her dismissal gracefully and without a fuss - contrary, i'm sure to the reaction he would have received from Megan Mahoney should she have been cut.

Unfortunate for Coach T that all in good time he will realise what a huge mistake he has made.

Reply #135208 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

A bullshit call.
Laura has waited her time and done it gracefully.
I hope she gets picked up, plays mega minutes and rubs their noses in it.
Nice guys don't win.

Reply #135271 | Report this post

owes isaac lunch  
Years ago

I would echo the sentiments of others in saying that Connecticut have made a huge mistake.

However, does it leave the door open for a return to the Lightning? We know now that they can afford to pay the european equivalent - it would be nice to see Vince bring home one of their own to lead the girls to a championship. A fantastic role model and a local girl - not to mention a world class player. Comparably, I think she is better value than Rasmussen. I think it would be very admirable of Lightning to make her an offer that would be hard to refuse. They've done it with Jackson and others, why not someone that has given a lot back to the states basketball!

Reply #135318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know about an offer that she can't refuse, but they did make her an offer at least.

News item on the Lightning site

She'll be playing in Italy. I think they're more confident of getting her back next season.

Reply #135319 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

cant blame her - she did a good job as a 5 player 2 seasons ago - but her true role is 3-4 player - about 2 cm too short for a 5 player.

would not rule her out as a pick up for another wnba club though.
Connecticut are the rolls royce.

any names being thrown around as their main 5 player "talking with several talls"

Reply #135375 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

and the Italian season has just ended - will she holiday / break or ABL it with team Marcus ???

Reply #135376 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

It would be good to see her back With the Catherine Street mafia.

Reply #135383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oracle, three locals, one foreigner I think?

Reply #135389 | Report this post

baked beans  
Years ago

from wnbl.com.au

Snubbing Summerton may come back to haunt Thibault, an Assistant Coach on the US women's national team.

The Opals are scheduled to play Team America in the United States in September, where an Opals victory would ensure Summerton had the last laugh.

"She is a class player and a wonderful person," Stirling said.

"The Opals would welcome her with open arms."

Reply #135503 | Report this post

baked beans  
Years ago

wnbl.com.au also reports whittle was being chased by adelaide - but is very close to signing with the caps

so - 2 locals - 1 foreigner now!

still want to know what big name/s caps have up their sleve as grafs reports they did not have money in the budget for jackson :-0

Reply #135504 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754