old school hoopsta
Years ago

Referees

With all of us hearing the excuses that there is a shortage of refs what is being done about it, as a coach i'm sick and tired of having games played with one ref or umpire in charge doing games is this basa's problem or not

My idea is all u16 boys and girls div 1 thru to div 5 do a umpires course at every club cost factor should be either wiped or subsidise thruclub fees, even if u only pick up 4 or 5 kids per club it still worth doing.

Topic #1161 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Well coach, why dont you make it a team rule that all your players must do a refereeing course, and then must offer to ref at least 1 game a week?

It all starts from the bottom :)

Reply #12989 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

coaches take your whistles with you cause you might just get to referee your own game

Reply #12990 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Coaches reffing their own games.

What a great idea...then they can put up with their own cr@p!! :)

Reply #13001 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Last time I was at Wayville I came across a proposal from Paul Arnott to get the Forestville juniors involved with reffing... I only skimmed it but from what I saw I was quite impressed. Do you have a copy of it on the Forestville website Arnie??

Perhaps this is the approach that needs to be taken, getting players, coaches and even parents involved. Refs aren't going to come from anywhere else.

Reply #13002 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

The FAST program - "Forestville Apprentice Scheme for Trainees" (a great example of picking the acronym first) is a joint initiative of Forestville and the BASA Wayville UICs. The details of this program haven't made their way to the Forestville web site yet, but will in the next week. The gist of it is this:

All Forestville district players in Under 14s will participate in four weeks of referee training, as part of their development program. This will involve them shadowing referees at the Wayville miniball competition or City South domestic competition, once a week for four weeks. After this, they will have the option of undertaking a level 0 course, and continuing on to umpire miniball/district/social/domestic.

We are hoping that this basic introduction to refereeing will be enough to encourage players to become umpires, and that over time, the increase in numbers will result in an increase in standard.

We have also implemented a zero tolerance policy in the City South
Conference, and are considering introducing a similar policy for Forestville district teams. We believe that these policies will create an environment which is more conducive to recruiting and retaining umpiring talent.

(Incidentally, the FAST initiative will involve a similar program to get Under 18 players involved in coaching. I'll post details of both FAST programs and our zero tolerance policy next week.)

Reply #13009 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

Sounds like a good idea guys & girls. I am strugling for refs on a saturday morning. now that the new referees director has been appointed, it may help the cause a little further.

Reply #13013 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Norwood did a similar thing last season, making all U14s take a refereeing course - not sure of the outcome, though.

Reply #13022 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Paul - that sounds like a fantastic program you've set up (by yourself or with others), a wholistic approach to the game. Good work! :D

Reply #13049 | Report this post

Nathan Durant  
Years ago

There are just too many teams and games for the number of referees that we had for last year, to cope with this season. Numbers of referees that progress has been minimal in the last few years. Hence a shortage has happened.

Reply #13052 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Christmas is coming... Maybe a few will show up under Christmas Trees in each of the stadiums. :P

Reply #13054 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

mp : where are you struggling for refs on saturday mornings....

i need to get some excercise in, and the whistle needs the cobwebs blown out of it.

email me if you like at [email protected], we might be able to help each other out :)

Reply #13057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #13165 | Report this post

all clubs should take on the FAST program even the coaching part of it. i have been saying this for a long time but being a nobody no one listens so hopefully we can see this taking affect soon

Reply #13220 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

The details of the FAST program are now available here.

Reply #13357 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

A bit later than promised, but the Forestville zero tolerance policy is now available here.

Reply #14894 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Paul,

A really positive move by Forestville, I hope that other clubs adopt your principles! :D

Reply #14910 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Thanks Nathan, though I won't pretend we have achieved anything until the policy is implemented and seen to be acted upon.

Reply #14912 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

I think it's easier for clubs to administer that sort of policy rather than the association.

I've got to say I don't mind the crowd abusing me at a high level it goes with the terriory. As for when I referee juniors I get fed up with people who 'think' they know what's best for the game when I only get paid $12.70 or something to do a div 1 game (75 mins). That's simply a tenth of what I get paid for the top level that I ref.

Reply #14921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are complaining about getting $12.70 a game you should go to school basketball. a lot of those refs that do saturday morning get atleast $20 a game. that would be easier to ref than a div 1 game.

Reply #14928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754