Isaac
Years ago

Lightning chasing Jenny Whittle

An article on AdelaideNow tells us that the Lightning are after Opal Jenny Whittle.

Read more on the Lightning site

What do people think about this potential signing?

Topic #11658 | Report this topic

russell coight  
Years ago

in the canberra paper - Graf was confident of signing whittle recently - so this is an interesting twist

Reply #136477 | Report this post

lil monkey  
Years ago

Just heard on the news that Adelaide HAVE signed Jenny Whittle.
Think this is excellent :)

Reply #136482 | Report this post

say what ?  
Years ago

well we now know who 1 GF team will be

phillips camino foley lorenzini in the guard rotation

whittle gahan woosnam inside

king etc

that is one decent team - now to make them gel.....

Reply #136507 | Report this post

Jack Rabbit  
Years ago

Boy, private owners dont muck around, do they? Both the 6ers & the lightning look like having the best lists they have had in a while.

Go SA!

Reply #136508 | Report this post

say what ?  
Years ago

Whittle close to Capital return, says Graf

Australian Opals centre Jenny Whittle has told the Canberra Capitals she's ready to come back, but the champagne is still on ice, writes Chris Dutton for The Canberra Times.
Capitals coach Carrie Graf spoke to the former championship-winning player on Monday and Whittle indicated she wanted to return to Canberra.

"She pretty much said yes, so we've just got to get the contract in the right order so it works for her and us," Graf said.

"She said the signs are positive and she wants to have a crack, but don't pop the champagne yet. So I guess we've got some negotiating to do, but it's all good signs."

Capitals general manager, Mark Cartwright, said talks with Whittle had gone well and they expected her to return to help her push for Olympic selection.

please explain ??? ex wnbl site

Reply #136511 | Report this post

what the???  
Years ago

Doubt that Lorenzini will make the team. Marino would be a better option for the backup point guard.

Lorenzini has been shopping herself around a bit. Dandenong, Bulleen and Bendigo.

She's really only a 10th/11th player.

Reply #136537 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

You have got to be kidding "what the???", Lorenzini is a way better guard than Marino....Marino would be the worst option for any position on the roster....

Reply #136593 | Report this post

the_flipper  
Years ago

yeah, u must be kidding, check the stats, north against sturt....

Reply #136602 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Check Erin's court time from the past WNBL seasons. If shes stays in Adelaide it will be not be good her playing career. As I don't see her getting any more minutes coming her way and I don't think a player like Erin would be happy about sitting on the bench. She is a too good a player for that anyway. Needs to be able to play not sit!

Reply #136791 | Report this post

what the ???  
Years ago

4th Spazzy

Marino is top 2 in the league in scoring and assists.

She is proven at WNBL level having been the runnerup rookie of the year to Camino.

And has played internationally.

What exactly has Lorenzini done other than been your friend.

Reply #136797 | Report this post

what the ???  
Years ago

PS checked the stats.

Marino ave pts 21.8
ave ass 5.6

Lorenzini ave pts 17.1
ave ass 2.6

Head to Head

Marino 20pts and 7 ass with a W

Lorenzini 15pts and 2 ass with a L

Reply #136798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In comparisons with Lorenzini and Marino, how do people see them going head to head on defensive intensity?

Reply #136806 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Hey "what the ???", stats dont always tell the whole picture, have you ever seen either of them play?
I do not rate marino at all, she demands the ball from a her team mates even when she is in the wrong position....She is supposed to be a POINT guard not a shooting guard, but doesnt seem to know the difference....Yeah she has played internationally (for NZ....who cares?)...mate i thought your comment
"What exactly has Lorenzini done other than been your friend"
was so original...
I have never met the girl and only really seen her play small amounts for the lightning and one game for north adelaide...but she is a POINT guard and can play!... why cant someone just be a interested supporter and observer of the game?
I rate one player above another and all of a sudden i am their friend...great argument mate...come back when u have something useful to say!

Reply #136884 | Report this post

what the???  
Years ago

excellent argument 4th spazzy,

You have an opinion that Lorenzini can play.

I have an opinion that your opinion is uninformed and not worthy of consideration because you have no idea.

I would say that it is YOU that have not seen both of these players play. By your own admission.

"only really seen her play small amounts for the lightning and one game for north adelaide"

So what exactly are you making you judgement about having only seen 1 game. It's not like she has played any minutes for the lightning.

And when was the last time that being a top 10 scorer at an olympics was bad? Did you see that she scored 15 against the US team and that Van CHancellor gave her huge praise. I'm sure that he doesn't know basketball either. Or that she caried NZ to the top 8 winning back to back games for the first time in NZ history.

Other stats

Marino 2 x ABA GF titles
1 x ABA GF MVP
1 x WNBL Championships
1 x National U20 Champiobnship

Lorenzini ???

Reply #136889 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

"I have an opinion that your opinion is uninformed and not worthy of consideration because you have no idea."

well said what the ???

i have only been involved in the game 25 yrs....so u r probably right i have no idea!

everyone i have spoken to here in adelaide that is involved with the game and is NOT part of her family seems to have a similar opinion to my self.

i have only needed to see Lorenzini those few times to see she is in a similar mould to Phillips, and that is the sort of player that the lightning want.

ask any of the lightning players and see how much marino would be welcome in that team!

1 x WNBL Championships (did she actually get on the court in this game?...NO!)

are you her manager?

Reply #136952 | Report this post

what the ???  
Years ago

George W Bush has been president for 9 years. Doesn't mean that he is any good at it.

4th Spazzy, what level have you been involved with for the last 20 years?

Feel free to put up here what it is you have actually done before you claim your own opinion is actually worth anything.

I'm quite sure that the coaches around the league don't agree with you.

I wish I was her agent, I would probably have quite a little future on my hands.

I'm sure that certain Lightning players will only be worried that they may lose their court time if she plays and that wouldn't be something that they should worry about if Lorenzini is back up guard.

Angela has played at WNBL level and Lorenzini hasn't. She has beaten Lorenzini at ABA level. Nuff said.

Reply #136973 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

the whole POINT of a forum is to put forward your opinion, who the hell are you to say anybody's opinion is not worth anything just because they dont agree with you!

in the end the girls alone will show us all who is the best player!

Reply #136976 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm offering no judgement on either player, but I think the point that was being made was that the girls had shown us a bit already.

Reply #136985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4th spazzy - i think you'll find she did hit the court in the wnbl final.

Reply #137019 | Report this post

what the ???  
Years ago

4th Spazzy,

Thats right, I have the opinion that arm chair chritics that unnecessarily bash a young female on a forum don't have opinions worth squat.

If you are going to put forward a negative point, my OPINION is that you should have the courage to put foward your name.

Your opinion is that Marino is unliked. My is that she is a better player than Lorenzini.

One is negative, one is an opinion.

PS Not only did Marino play in the WNBL finals. But she scored a go ahead 3. Plus he 3rd and 4th quarter play in the Prelim against Adelaide changed the momentum of the game and changed the Lightnings tactics so the Capitals were able to break away.

But with your 20 years experience (insert sarcasm here) you would know that.

Just admit the fact that you are a mate of Lorenzinis and can't accept that she isn't going to make the Adelaide roster this year.

Considering that she has approached Bendigo, Bulleen and Dandenong, I am sure that she will get a game somewhere.

Reply #137027 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

take a chill pill what the ???... somebody has an emotional attachment to marino...!

Reply #137048 | Report this post

what the ???  
Years ago

No greater attachment than yo do to Lorenzini. Who won't be playing for Adelaide this year.

Reply #137077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754