Concerned
Years ago

Collegiate eligibility of ABL players

With the letter that came out this week from Basketball Australia about the ABL not being recognised as an acceptable off season league, have players such as Grantham, Papendieck, Madgen and Woods ruined their eligibility by playing in the league the last couple of weeks?
Can anyone inform on this situation?

Topic #11679 | Report this topic

HoopDreamin  
Years ago

Lets hope not. I think ABL and college programs should work together hand in hand.

I cannot see how CABL should be considered a professional league and it would not be fair if it was.

Reply #136660 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Unfortunately its not what WE think..the NCAA has issued criteria, via BA, that when applied makes just about any competition that a current scholarship holder plays in during their summer braek as being in violation of the rules.

This is a link to discussion on the BigV forum that details the BA letter and the criteria as laid down by the NCAA NCAA Discussion

Reply #136665 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I might be wrong here, but I thought Max & Sam were at NAIA college? If so, I believe they're governed by a completely different set of eligibility rules & regulations.

I'd hope that the kids & their clubs would have been smart enough to check it was OK for them to play before playing.

Reply #136673 | Report this post

The Herald  
Years ago

Correct me if im wrong but this only comes into play if the player is in Div 1 NCAA.

Division 2 and 3 teams can play at the discretion of their coaches.

Reply #136695 | Report this post

Oops  
Years ago

The Div II and Div III thing was the old rule.

Looks like the new rule is for all NCAA participants.

This would mean that the can't even play div 3 mens or U20 juniors as the spectators pay an admission fee.

Reply #136709 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

What are they saying people dont pay to watch College Basketball??? hmmmmmmm i dont think so!!!

Reply #136724 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Your missing the point, it is how the NCAA determines the criteria for their "Summer Leagues" its what they class the competitions that are played over their Summer break our Winter. Read the reference.

There are many that are certified as being OK to play in, the organisers of them request exemptions, BA did that for here and got the reply you see in the link. It affects all NCAA divs, NAIA and NJCA are seperate.

Reply #136739 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Spectators have to pay to go watch some social grand finals, does that make the players ineligable for college??

Reply #136740 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

I had to pay to take a piss the other day. Can I still play college?

Reply #136745 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Duhhhh....

Obviously semi literates...it only applies to those already at college.

Reply #136776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hope all the officials at the respective clubs told these returned players this quickly.

Reply #136777 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754