twenty four
Years ago

Funny NBA Pre-Draft Camp Physical Results

Thought some might be interested in this.

Results from the Orlando camp physical testing have been released.

Link (XLS file)

A few suprises in there include;

- Kevin Durant ranking second to last overall. Having only a 26 inch no step vertical and not being able to lift the 185lbs bar A SINGLE TIME (not THAT bigger shock, but still...)

-Mike Conley is a FREAK. Only measured 6".75' with shoes, but has a 40.5' max vert and got the bar up 13 times (he only weighs 175lbs himself), as well as being the only player to break 3.1 seconds in the 3/4 court sprint.

-Dominic James, whose numbers where even better than Conley's overall.

-Jared Jordan. Had a no step vertical of 14.5 inches and a max leap of 28.5'. Although he did have good numbers in the lane and 3/4 court drills.

-Brad Newley only doing 3 reps with the bar (I think he did 2 last year). I would've thought he would have done better than that. Had a 31.5' max vertical and did OK in the other areas.

Topic #11721 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Note that Greg Oden opted out of the bench press due to concerns over his injury (wrist?).

Oden also beat Newley in the lane agility drill and 3/4 court sprint - he also beat Durant - surprised me.

Newley ranked 63/81. Durant was 78.

Quite interesting.

Reply #137189 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

"Lift the bar" is that Benchpress? 85kg is pretty light.

Reply #137210 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

you'd have to say on that he might struggle to get in.. way below the average

Reply #137211 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

what site did you get the results from

Reply #137212 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Highlights of potential draft picks here

Reply #137221 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Conley's father was a triple jumper. Remember him participating in "Magic's Midsommer nightt's dream" back in the mid-late 80's, and seeing him do a two handed dunk from the free throw line ... guess it runs in the family !

Reply #137232 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yeah sorry Doddo. I was talking about the bench press.

Reply #137234 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yes Doddobird 85kgs getting benched pressed is pretty light to meat heads that have no neck but to the average person and above average person that is quite heavy.

Reply #137235 | Report this post

cfghfgh  
Years ago

85kgs!!

What did they lift one of Paul Smith's biceps

Reply #137237 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

KingJames, most sports people can benchpress bodyweight 10 to 12 times, not only bodybuilders. This topic is not about average people, it is about nba draft hopefuls. So I find the results suprising.

Reply #137279 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

So your telling me that a 75kg basketballer can bench press around or over 3/4 of a tonne?????

Thats thirty bag of cement....

c'mon Doddobird, unless you walk around with a acne problem, no ball sack, man boobs and a syringe hanging out your arse then I'd find it very hard for someone to lift 10 times their bodyweight.

Reply #137284 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

My apologies Doddo, I misread your comment.

I read it as bodyweight times 10 or 12, not lifting your own bodyweight 10 or 12 times.

Reply #137286 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Are you saying he only did 2 last year and 3 this year. You would think he would have been in training for this. He had a year to prepare and be stronger this year. His leanish body is a handicap. I just can't understand why he didn't pump up more.

Reply #137287 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Maybe pumping up effects other parts of his game. Maybe the extra few kg means he can't elevate as much or as quickly, or he's a bit slower on the first step.

Maybe his shoulders become so big it effects the dynamics of his jumpshot.

Maybe his genetics determine that he's gonna be a skinny dude with chicken arms.

I don't really see it as a big problem as he's not really going to be pushing centers and power forwards in the low block.

Do you think Seattle or Portland now don't take Durant purely because he couldn't do a 85kg benchpress???

Reply #137288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spotted this on TrueHoop - why you can't take the physical results as gospel - Read it all

Who was the top athlete in the 2003 draft? Thinking logically about that draft, you'd probably assume it was a toss up between Dwyane Wade and Lebron James. But in fact, it was 6-2 shooting guard Troy Bell, who did not make it past his rookie contract before being cut by the man who reached badly to draft him in Jerry West. Bell was affectionately nicknamed "Troy Airbell" by ACB Spanish league fans he horrified with the air-balls he jacked up playing for Real Madrid, and struggled this past season to run a D-League team. Bell measured a 41 inch vertical leap (which would rank 1st in this year's combine), ran a 3.06 in the 3/4 court sprint (also 1st), and bench pressed the 185 pound bar 17 times (fourth amongst guards). If Bell were eligible this year, he most likely again would be deemed the top athlete in this year's draft too.

Reply #137290 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It would have to be a concern. Strength is a major attribute in the NBA, especially for a 6'9" player that weighs only 215 pounds. There must be more to it, I would think that he must have declined from participating in that part of the program or something. He is the only one on the list that couldn't lift the bar even once. That is not right.

Reply #137291 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I dare say KG would've been similar to Durant when he entered the draft. Doesn't seem to affect him.

Reply #137294 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

He can always get stronger. He has the skill. Just finished watching PTI and they talked about it and made a good point. They said he needs to get stronger not bigger. Develop lean muscle mass like Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton.

And TR found the guy you were talking about :)

http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=92940ea71aec931ce64b

Reply #137295 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The dudes thighs and like tree trunks.

835lb bench press is old news. The current world record is 1010lb (485kg) done by an American.

The dude that holds the record weights in at 158kg, so he's bench pressing triple his bodyweight.

Reply #137310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skills will always defeat strength in the draft. You can always build them up once you have them. 85kg is a decent press, most big guys at the gym probably only do 100 - 110. Let's face it basketball players and these guys ages are generally lean and quick.

Reply #137338 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think Andrew Gaze would struggle to benchpress a broom handle and he had a pretty successful basketball career, ditto Brazilian legend Oscar Schmidt.

Reply #137559 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

billo, if you've read Gaze's book, pretty amusing story about him weight training with the Spurs....

Reply #138113 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Phiz, do tell....

Was he there at the same time as Robinson? I think he was. I suspect the Admiral probably had better upper body strength than the Factor (not to mention a better nick name).

Reply #138115 | Report this post

jushezno  
Years ago

Gaze not sure about converting kg's to pounds, resulting in it being too heavy to hold at all. Came down on his chest while he yelled to the trainers "get if off, get it off!!!"

Reply #138125 | Report this post

jonesy0006  
Years ago

Unless you playing PF or C bench press doesn't really mean squat. What use is a PG or SG that can lift the bar 20 times and jumps out of the gym but can't hit a jumpshot or hit the open man with a sweet pass. I'll pick a player with good fundamentals over a super athlete anyday.

Reply #235277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754