Isaac
Years ago

Funny 36ers add Sapwell and Flynn to ranks

The Adelaide 36ers have signed former player Rupert Sapwell as Second Assistant Coach and Liam Flynn as Technical Coach for the upcoming season.

"I'm very excited to be rejoining the Club in this position, and hope to play a part in rebuilding this club back to its 'glory days'" Sapwell said, currently in his 3rd year at the helm of Norwood.

Read more at the 36ers site

As many will know, Flynn is also coaching in the ABL this season, heading up the Sabres' youth-oriented campaign.

Sapwell's Flames are top of the men's ladder with a 10-2 record, while Flynn's Sturt side are in fifth and 7-5.

Topic #11723 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

DICKO was right...again!

Good news. 36ers have improved in all areas this off-season!

Reply #137216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Sapwell an improvement over KB?

Reply #137224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers haven't improved in all areas..

Copeland this season will be worse than Copeland last season (one year older and slower yet still taking more shots than our imports)

Reply #137225 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Can I borrow your crystal ball oh wise anon #137225?

Hopefully Copeland will be good for us as a spark plug off the bench, and be able to pass on a bit of knowledge to the younger brigade....

Reply #137230 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Spot on DB5!
It's a shame Copeland is bagged for reasons other than those for which he is actually in the team.

Reply #137241 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Last year, Copes would have been one of the best for the Sixers.

Maher, Cooper, Copeland and Sutton were the only ones who played well last season.

Adding Ballinger, Dench, Newley, Chappelland Davidson for Wheeler, Majstrovich, Horvath, Farley is an improvement.

Dome being updated, new look for the Sixers, Flynn & Sapwell and maybe even Ninnis for an off-court role who can be used to lure young talent like Ingles and Newley for KB.

Definately alot of improvement!

Reply #137250 | Report this post

rocket knife  
Years ago

i am with you 123 abc - may even venture into a season ticket for the first time

Reply #137259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123abc isn't totally correct..

Ng played well last season as well..
i think it might've even been his best season!

Reply #137262 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Even though he did do some decent scoring he turned the ball over several times bringing it up court. He did start driving to the basket which was an improvement. How does this make me incorrect? Not naming him?

Reply #137265 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For a shooting guard called upon to back up at the point, his turnover count wasn't that bad. Higher: Maher, Farley, Horvath, Hill, Copeland and Majstrovich. Within 0.5 TPG of him: Wheeler, Cooper and Timmons.

One criticism of his play at the point was that he could take too long to bring the ball up.

Given that he top-scored for the team a few times, was fifth in the team in scoring and shot at a reasonable clip, I think he did pretty well.

I would put Horvath on the list that played well, despite his deficiencies - when he did his thing, he was very, very effective. I agree with the move to swap him out for Ballinger, but I think he played a decent role.

Reply #137270 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Without having seen the job specs for the Technical Coach position, I fully expect the Sixers players and coaches to be T-ed up in new and creative ways this year - this is how I've interpreted 'Technical', anyway. :)

I'm thinking Flynn's curriculum could look something like this:

Level 1

- Snide remarks
- Theatrical gestures
- US baseball manager-style dummy spits

Level 2

- Questioning sexuality
- Referring to family members
- Issuing threats
- When one T is not enough - how to get yourself ejected

Reply #137292 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

So if we lose a game Technically it's Liams fault and we get to hang crap on him here every week.

Reply #137308 | Report this post

Well done to Sapwell and Flynn and well done to the 6ers in appointing them! Exciting times ahead for the 6ers.

As Sapwell is the one to contact kids to offer them positions at the Flames, I hope Sapwell stays at the Flames for another 5-6 yrs too and develops those young kids. I would be annoyed if my kid was contacted by Sapwell, only to find he took up coaching opportunities outside of the state/country in the next 5-6 yrs. But that's just me.

Reply #137353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know Liam whats his background and what are his coaching achievements ?

Reply #137792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754