Anonymous
Years ago

National Classic Predictions

Let's bring all the real Classic discussion to the one thread.

Any predictions on who will win any of the age groups?

Topic #11727 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt west or dandenong in 16 boys.. although dandenong lost to a new vic team

Reply #137256 | Report this post

rocket knife  
Years ago

it is about hitting the floor to win from game one - so many teams take a game to get in the groove and find a bad finish due to this

Reply #137258 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

There a number of candiates for this, Dandenong, Corio Bay (the team who knocked them off last week), Sturt, Melbourne Tigers. It is all who can keep going for the whole tournament and not be too tired in the finals. Keeping the legs fresh it'll be consisting more of what happens off the court with the better teams.

Watch out for the atmosphere the Corio Bay Stingrays crowd will bring. Going to be huge!

Reply #137277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West or Sturt as they go real deep and wont tire out their stars early

Reply #137278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's get real here - none of the SA teams in 16 boys are anywhere NEAR Dandenong. The SA teams don't have nearly the depth of Dandenong - they have half the Vic Metro team, plus a reserve. I can't see ANY of the SA teams making top 4 - Dandenong and Melbourne should waltz through as they are on the easy side of the draw, and then from the far tougher half, Corio Bay and either Nunawading or Northern Suburbs.

Reply #137298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#137278,

Don't think I agree with your views of the depth of West & Sturt, particularly West. I think they lose a lot when bench players get on the court. As for Sturt they have developed from where they were two years ago when they won the nationals but they won the final against Dandenong by basically playing their starting 5 for the whole game, there was very little rotation off the bench.

Reply #137309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My prediction is it will be cold and some good basketball will be played.

Reply #137326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I predict pain!!!! (sorry this isn't rocky 3)

Reply #137343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18s boys and girls predictions?? players 2 watch??

Reply #137349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12 Girls -Dandenong
U14 Girls -Toss up between Melbourne and Bulleen, im going with Melbourne
U16 Girls -Nunawading
U18 Girls -Nunawading

U12 Boys -Bulleen
U14 Boys -Werribee
U16 Boys -Dandenong
U18 Boys -Dandenong

Thoughts?? Can SA win any of them??? 18s would have to be their best chance...

Please do not say U16 boys!

Reply #137380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U/12 Boys, will be inetersting, Frankston vs Knox in the final, Bulleen to stumble in the semi's.

U/14 Boys, I am going with Werribee, D.Valley a late omission and would have gone very close.

U/16 Boys will be a close call with Melbourne, Dandy, Sturt and West. I am going with Melbourne.

U/18 Boys will be Diamond Valley, Nunawading,Sturt,Dandenong and Sandringham. I am going with D.Valley Vs Sandy in the final.

Reply #137381 | Report this post

Moose 36  
Years ago

U12 boys - Bulleen. Knox & Frankston to battle for 2nd. 4th is wide open as I don't think Melbourne are a shoe-in to make it. West Adelaide, Dandenong & Blackburn are smokeys - SA & NSW teams to struggle in general.

U14 boys - Knox to get the win. Werribee, Eltham & possibly Keilor to challenge. Northern Bears look the most likely interstate side to challenge. Pool C is very tough & Eastern will have their work cut out to make top 8. Sturt have the best chance to make top 8 from SA.

U16 boys - Could be closer than people expect. Dandenong, Melbourne & Sturt seem to be the concensus to take home the medals, but will face tough challenges from Nunawading, Corio & West. Norwood have the talent but possibly not the mental toughness to compete for a full weekend. Again pool C looks like the pool of death, with Nunawading (Vic #3), West (SA #2) and North Bears (NSW #1) all in the pool, one has to miss out on top 8.

U18 boys - Apparently Sundringham are without Jack Watts, which will be a huge setback for them. Diamond Valley & Sturt seem to be a good chance to make top 4, along with Dandenong & Frankston.

Reply #137401 | Report this post

Moose 36  
Years ago

U12 girls - I think the Vics have the edge here. Diamond Valley, Dandenong & Kilsyth the favourites. Forestville the best chance of success from the interstate sides.

U14 girls - Bulleen, Melbourne & Sturt will all be tight at the top. Knox, Sydney & Dandenong will all compete. Forestville have the talent but haven't proven able to take down tough games.

U16 girls - Eltham, Knox, Sandringham, North Adelaide & Sturt should all be around the mark. Yet again, Pool C is very tough, with Knox, Sturt & Hill Hornets (#1 NSW) fighting for 2 top 8 spots.

U18 girls - Nunawading, Dandenong & Norwood probably have to be the favourites. Knox, Hawthorn & Nunawading (2) should compete to get the last top 4 spot.

Reply #137407 | Report this post

Webb  
Years ago

Moose 36
West Adelaide, Dandenong & Blackburn are smokeys,
and what about Southern or even sturt in under 12's ? have a look at the 12 ladder not much different from those 3 team now is there??

Reply #137411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Player to watch for - 16B Corio Bay Stingrays Big Guy, #24 J.Pilling.
He's just on 6'5 and this kid would have to be the biggest secret in Vic Basketball. He has taken all the Vic. Metro Bigs to school and is by far the best big player in country vic.
He's no Jack Watts at this age but this kid can play.

Reply #137417 | Report this post

Moose 36  
Years ago

Ladder seems to indicate the top 3 are pretty close, but I think both have pretty tough draws.

And Southern beat Sturt by a lot a few weeks ago (if Sportingpulse is correct) so I think maybe Sturt has gone a bit off the boil?

I don't have a great knowledge of the grade, but have seen bits and pieces. West have 2 SAPSASA kids (as 1st years) so might be best equipped to take on the Vics.

Hopefully Southern & Sturt put in their best performances on the Saturday & both make top 8.

Reply #137418 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

I coach the big fella Jack Pilling in his domestic team and boy does he know nearly every post move in the book. When he comes out to play watch out baby!

Reply #137426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

diamond valley u/18 have no skill they r just sum hacks!! THEY GET HOME COURT ADVANTAGE BECAUSE OF THE HOCKING STANDARD OF REFFING THERE!!!

Reply #137439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, hope corio bay can play as well as they talk themselves up?!?!

Reply #137440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you say they have no skill? They have beaten everyone in their draw. It's hard to believe they get favoured every single week enough to get wins.

Granted i dont think they are as dominant as the ladder would make them appear, but you have to show some respect to a team that has gone undefeated!

Reply #137446 | Report this post

random  
Years ago

i know the sturt 16 boys pretty well and dont underestimate they play well in the big games and im tipping them to beat dandenong in the final

Reply #137464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18's north boys are really inconsistant but with the balance they have it gives them the ability to go all the way in this comp. they have pushed sturt numerous times this season and with a new big guy (badly needed) they are a much more balanced line up which can knock a 3 or take ya inside. dont under estimate them they are a gr8 team when the play well but if they get beaten early in comp say goodbye.

Reply #137470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know the Sturt 16 boys even better and they want make the final.

Reply #137477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 18 Girls - Norwood, would have to have a great chance at making the top 4.

This team have won almost every trophy in under 18's this season, however i beleive that next year they may even have a better chance because they are made up of mostly first years, 2 of which are in the under 18 state team.

Reply #137479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having seen the U18 Diamond Valley boys play, i would take exception to calling them hacks!!
They play tough, uncompromising basketball that has been getting them results. If you know anything of VC basketball, you would know that regardless of venue, you are not always going to get home venue refs, sometimes you do, but very rarely would you get both refs from the home venue!! Ppl blaming refs for DVs results just sounds like sour grapes! Have they beaten your team? Probably

Knowing some of the DV boys, i congratulate them on their success so far this VC season and i am sure that they will want to continue to prove that their start to the season is no fluke!! Don't forget they also made Eltham tourny GF at the start of the year!

Reply #137483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this kid not in the Vic Country team? Also, if he is so dominant, where was his dominance when our Ranger boys played them the first time around?

The Vic Country Coach is not leving a 6"5 kid who smacks all the Metro Bigs so easy.

D.Valley boys 18's, easily accounted for the entire first round of teams including a 27 pt. win over Nunawading... not easy to do. That is some mighty biased reffing .

Reply #137498 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

Maybe because Jack has other commitments and other intensive training than Vic Coutnry. If you look at the Corio Bay side there is only one Vic Country player, now for a side who is 3rd overall in VC you would think their would be more...right? Look at the Who is Corio Bay thread and it will give you better answers from the coch.
You ask first time around, well the whole team didn't play well and that's why Dandenong won by 41, but the reason Corio won the second encounter was Jack came out to play.

Reply #137514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt 16 boys will do well, the have good depth, and they know each other, they will go to the gf and hoepfully win it

Reply #137522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"U18's north boys are really inconsistant but with the balance they have it gives them the ability to go all the way in this comp."

North are a long way short of the mark. Not even close IMO.

Reply #137539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandringham would still be the team to beat in the 18s. They accounted for DV easily in the Eltham tournament, and also beat Dandy and Nunuwading there as well. This was without Jack Watts. They also beat Sturt comfortably at Easter without Watts. Only team I think they'll have trouble against is Frankston

Reply #137540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They Beat D.V. by 7 pts.... At the start of the year, they have beaten everyone so far, you have to give them something. Don't forget the NSW and SA teams either.

Reply #137553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Answer from corio bay coach pretty much said that the kids get all the coaching they need from him.

It seems the Vic Country coaching staff are not up to scratch.

The kid from corio bay who is in the team is also in ITCP so is getting Vic Country coaching and a different perspective on things that his corio bay team mates do not.

Pitty for Jack, if he is as good as you say, maybe he would have made the team, but now has missed out on playing at a national championships.

Maybe nationals is not that important, VC must be a better competition, someone must tell BA so they can get the Emus, ITCP & Boomers staff down to watch like they do at Nationals...

Reply #137556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have been watching the under 12 boys competition very closely and i believe that Knox are the team to beat. Bulleen aren't as impressive as they look. Watch out for a SA team to dominate the tournament and knockoff favourites Bulleen.
KNOX = Team to beat

Reply #137691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a big call!

SA side to start with but Knox to dominate???

They are certainly a chance to bring home the gold it is but they will have to get past either or both of Frankston and Bulleen and the 'surprise packet' from SA.

Any clues on who they might be?

Reply #137700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One would assume you mean Norwood to knockoff the Boomers?

Sounds like it should be a good weekend for the 12s, i am sticking with Bulleen

Reply #137701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ARE U GUYS FORGETTING ABOUT DANDENONG AND ELTHAM IN U12 BOYS???
Dandenong got close to the 'favourites' bulleen. Eltham performed strongly in the Easter Classic to make the final and be unlucky not to win the final.
Bulleen are certainly a strong unit
but be careful bcoz teams will be looking to knock them off.

How can a SA team be any good, there results in the easter classic certainly didnt prove anything against the Victorian teams.

Think before you right

U12 Champs: Bulleen
Roughie: Dandenong

Reply #137703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

write?

Reply #137727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any results yet from the SA teams in all grades?

Reply #137736 | Report this post

Fox 56  
Years ago

Norwood lost both by 20+ vs Nunawading & Bulleen. Southern down by 2 to Eltham & down 30+ to Frankston. West down in two toughies against Melbourne & Blackburn by under 5. Sturt over Sutherland by 30 & down to Knox by 30.

Sturt the only team that can progress but need to defeat Dandenong to do so, which is always tough.

Reply #137737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come Norwoods U16 Boys havent sent their full team? They had a kid who dominated the Eltham tournament for them, who isnt here now. Whats the deal? Had a massive impact on their Dandenong game.

Reply #137760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their guy is injured but they recruited a new guy 2 weeks before the classics.

Reply #137767 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #137777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Say goodbye then to the North 18 Boys as they are out of the top 8. Maybe play some defense perhaps.

Reply #137778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12 Boys - How good are KNOX!!!

Reply #137779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay welcome to the real world.

Reply #137780 | Report this post

Rays 6th Man  
Years ago

A tournament to forget for Corio Bay, I have never seen them play so badly. It was embarrassing to watch yesterday, I don't know how they went today except I heard they lost this morning. Can't win games of basketball shooting about 15% which is what they did against Sturt. Also when your star big #24 only scores 3 pts in 3 games there is something definetly wrong. Sturt look the goods from watching them give our boys a bit of a spanking, the blonde guard had a great pull up jumper. but looking at the results, not todays results because I don't know but yesterdays I see Horsham is the teamt to beat by giving a bit of a show up to Melbourne Tigers by 28 pts, Horsham have an unbelievable coach as well and some very talented players. All the best to them.

Reply #137784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u/18 boyz goodbye DV!!! warrugal the surprise packet!! can they go they way??

Reply #137786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Horsham Melbourne result is wrong. It should be the other way around.

Reply #137805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will the Norwood kid still be able to go at Nationals or is it a long term injury? SA Metro would be sweating on him i would imagine.

Reply #137808 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

I would think a very average result for the SA teams. From what I have seen this state will be no threat at the Nationals.

Reply #137884 | Report this post

Ha Ha  
Years ago

Considering Sturts U14 girls finished 2nd I would have thought that htey would do OK at 14 Nationals.

Reply #137894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Read the Forum Guidelines.)

Reply #138011 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754