Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers idea - city office

I haven't really thought it through (no time, just occurred to me then while I was working on something else) but was wondering what other people thought of this:

Sixers City Office

Situate 1-2 staff from the Sixers in the city (Hindley St, Rundle St East, somewhere like that) in a small office with street-frontage as a noticeable place from which the club could sell tickets and merchandise, as well as run promos.

In their current location, the Sixers have no passing traffic from which to benefit. With a presence in the city, they could gain from foot-traffic wandering into an office/store to see what's on offer.

The spot could have a timber floor with a key marked out, foul line, basketball ring on the wall (not necessarily for use; more so for atmosphere), a desk with strong promos for tickets and upcoming games, prominent act-now deals, and a couple of racks showing the merchandise on offer. Hit a free throw and get 10% off your ticket!

You'd want there to be new things happening or appearing all the time so that people would "drop in" to see what was new: a new product available (signed merchandise, for example), highlights from previous games shown from a projector on the wall, etc).

Promos would be easy to run and attract passers by (Friday evenings, for example), Pura Milk could run co-branded promos for new products, etc.

Ultimately, it would have to be very open and welcoming so that people wouldn't think twice before walking in to see what was happening. There could be a definite emphasis on gift options -- merchandise, game tickets and so on.

The obvious detractor is cost. But surely there are a number of advantages including effective advertising for foot traffic and it being a central location for walk-up ticket sales.

In the off-season, the space could be used as a more general basketball products store, or promote ABA games.

Costs as I see them would be rent and sundries (on-going) and fit-out (more or less once off). If the staff were transferred from the Dome, the staffing costs wouldn't be a real issue (you could put Mark Davis in there from time to time?).

Thoughts?

Topic #1173 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I think Kickz 101 Melbourne is looking to open a store in Adelaide....maybe a good opportuntity for the Sixers to be apart of that and piggy back ticket sales out of that store which is nothing but bball focused.

Reply #13195 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Good idea Isaac. They could even put signs up on the shop window advising people of times that the players will be there in person to sign autographs, answer any questions they may have about the games, or even tips on how to improve certain aspects of their own game if they play for a team themselves. After all, the face of the Sixers are the faces of the players themselves.

If none of this comes to fruition, at the very least, all the Venue Tix outlets should have prominent posters up advertising the games as tickets can be purchased at any of their outlets.

Reply #13197 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Get a phat TV inside the store and reply games or whatever. It would be the ultimate!

Kent,
Where do you get this information from? And also how soon is Kickz 101 gonna open in Adelaide?

Reply #13209 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I've heard this also. About a year ago in Melbourne, I went into the store and the proprietor himself said he was opening a store in Adelaide next year, meaning this year now. Either there is a delay to this happening, or he may have changed his plans. I don't know how well the store is doing in Melbourne or how well it will do in Adelaide, but it seemed vey quiet when I went in. It may have just been a quiet time.

Reply #13212 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The guy that runs Kickz 101 is an Adelaide boy and his bro plays CBA. From talking to him his biggest hurdle is set up costs so this idea from Isaac may be a way for both parties to benefit and subsidise each others cost.

Reply #13213 | Report this post

ihaterules  
Years ago

kicks is to dear! thats why its quiet!

Reply #13224 | Report this post

Bring back the old sports/merchandise store they had when the powerhouse first opened

Reply #13229 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I wouldn't say that Kickz 101 is to expensive, it is a market that is very small, I think they must be doing alright otherwise they wouldnt still have the store and be looking to expand.

Been there a few times and it is great :-)

But than I love my NBA :-)

They have alot of stuff that you would struggle to get from anywhere else in Australia.

Reply #13234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was a small merchandise store set up at the Dome tonight -- on the left side after you've come in the main entrance. If it's been there previously, I hadn't noticed it.

Reply #13244 | Report this post

K-Time Bars  
Years ago

Praise your idea Isaac but your interior decorating smacks of Foot Locker. Maybe wqe should just move them into the city one or the marion one.

Reply #13251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The idea was that it would smack of basketball...

I got the idea from one of the NBA teams who have a corporate suite in the city that shows potential sponsors or corporate groups what it's like to have a suite at the game -- food, drinks, seating, etc.

Reply #13257 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

isaac you are brilliant. what are you doing in front of a computer all day...you should be running the show at basa!

Reply #13886 | Report this post

rUfUs  
Years ago

great idea, 'smacks' of the footy shop to me. set up cost would be the killer, esp when u think on terms of day to day income...u cant just run a store on tickets sales and as much as i and the rest of u guys love the sixers there just isn't the market out there for basketball, let alone NBL. if only we could make it fasonable to wear a sixers top like it was in mid nineties with NBA tops (those were the days upper deck cards, go-trademarks and NBA action on sunday morning)maybe we need to stick eminem in a sixers top or sumthin, might thro a few ppl on the bandwagon, worked for the NBA Hardwood Classics line when that came out. would be nice to see sum wiggas from elizibeth with MAHER written across his back dun u think. Anyway great idea, but basketball just can't beat footy in this state...same as every other sport...what was the name of the rugby team we had...and how many soccers team have we had...

Reply #13977 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

what ?? rufus ?...Baketball can't beat footy ?..well it already has as it's one of the worlds most popular sports played in that more countries than you can think of (it's just that some aussies love to hang on to the sport they invented and can't look outside the square they live in ; which in this case is the rest of the world ).
I like to think that if marketing the NBL can appeal to the people that look outside their own backyard and see what's going on the world around them, the ones who watch the Olympic Basketball for example...but perhaps know little about the NBL at this point, but liked watching many different countries compete )...oh..and how many countries is footy played in ??...oh that's right ONE...the NBL just needs the right marketing, organisation, and money of course and the FTA media to realise what an opportunity and potential the League has, then the spark that ignited basketball in Aus will be reignited like it had been in the past when it was VERY popular in SA and Aus.
The NBL just securing the Nike deal is another great step in the right direction, and believe you me, like myself and others, there are true believers that Basketball will be a force in Aus sport again, definately.
So..it's great to see ideas coming through to try and shake things up and give the League a fresh new image,I like the ticket booth/shop idea,keep it up isaac.

Reply #14160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754