Isaac
Years ago

Donovan to quit Orlando already

In a bit of a strange turn of events, Billy Donovan is looking to bust his Orlando contract already.

After signing on to coach the Magic in the NBA on Friday, it's taken the weekend for him to change his mind and want out.

Sounds like Orlando will let him go if he agrees not to coach in the NBA for five years.

The Magic are reportedly after Stan Van Gundy who still has some contract to run with the Miami Heat.

Surely this Donovan about-face is news enough to cop a joke on Letterman even?

Topic #11735 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think he has had his contract terminated, and he won't be able to coach in the NBA for the next 5 years?

Reply #137359 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think that was the agreement that Donovan had to agree to before the Magic would waive him. No NBA Action for 5 years.

He must really really like Gainsville as the Magic offer was pretty secure, 6 years at $6 mill per season. I thought it was a big risk contract given he's a rookie NBA coach and the history of successful jumps from the college ranks to the NBA are minimal.

I've read that the Magic have already offered SVG the job and may have to compensate the Heat via cash or a pick if they go ahead.

Reply #137374 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah was a ridiculous reversal. I suppose the Magic did push him into making a decision pretty quick, but you would think if you were pushed into it you would be more likely to say no???

And I can't see he would be getting anywhere near 6 mil a year in college.

Must have had a massive freakout, or maybe got his balls busted by his wife or something!!!

Reply #137503 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wife busting balls vs USD6m p.a... Hmmm, can I see a picture of said wife?

Reply #137507 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

His contract with Florida is rumored to be around $3 mill per year.

I'm sure there are other perks he receives as well which we won't talk about as they officially don't occur.

Reply #137508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754