Isaac
Years ago

Boomers squad for China named

This is a bit of B-Team for the most part given that the A-list is mostly unavailable (Newley working out with NBA teams, Mackinnon similar, etc). These guys would be competing for the final or reserve spots on the final team?

The 12-man Australia Post Boomers China Tour Team:

Ian Crosswhite Sydney Kings
Oscar Forman New Zealand Breakers
Adam Gibson Brisbane Bullets
Russell Hinder Sydney Kings
Jacob Holmes South Dragons
Joe Ingles South Dragons
Luke Kendall Sydney Kings
Daniel Kickert Livorno (Italy)
Alex Loughton Perth Wildcats
Brad Robbins Perth Wildcats
Damian Ryan Perth Wildcats
Mark Worthington Sydney Kings

Staff:
Head Coach: Brian Goorjian Sydney Kings
Assistant Coach: Gordon MacLeod Singapore Slingers
Assistant Coach: Brendan Joyce Gold Coast Blaze
Manager: Nic Mercer
Interesting to see them give a hustle-guy like Brad Robbins a run. No 36ers on the list, but Joe Ingles, Jacob Holmes and Oscar Forman represent SA.

Sounded like the camp was fairly relaxed compared to the usual ones and most attendees were selected to go on the trip.

Chatting to Oscar while he's in the Qantas lounge in Sydney - apparently Markovic and Maric were invited but couldn't make it. Rush and Vanderjagt withdrew through injury. Harris, Khazzouh and Tovey attended but were not picked.

Topic #11762 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Crosswhite? seriously....

Reply #137672 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kent, you know better than to question Uncle Goorj. You play for the Kings then you play with the Boomers.

Reply #137674 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

really weak team.

Reply #137675 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Where the hell are the scorers on this team? Not one of these guys apart from Worthington average anywhere near enough points per game in the NBL, let alone international level. Kendall and Crosswhite are both a joke and it's no laughing matter. Kendall was at his best 2 years ago when he was a pass first type player.

Reply #137676 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Where the hell are the scorers on this team? Not one of these guys apart from Worthington average anywhere near enough points per game in the NBL, let alone international level. Kendall and Crosswhite are both a joke and it's no laughing matter. Kendall was at his best 2 years ago when he was a pass first type player.

Reply #137677 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

A second team at best, if not a third team! It does say "post" boomers, does this mean that these are the guys that went to training before the Boomers even decide to rock up???

Reply #137678 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

they can still put a decent young team on court

PG -Ryan/Gibson/Robbins
SG -Jingles/Kendall
SF -Worthington/Holmes/Forman
PF -Loughton/Hinder
C -Kickert/Crosswhite

it would have been nice to see maric,markovic and rush in the team to see what they can do. it should be good with all these young guys having a chance to prove if they can step up and play with the big boys.

Reply #137679 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

People, this is the second string team fighting for final spots. Obviously Anstey, Andersen, etc were not even at the camp.

Who, out of those who attended, do you think should've been included?

They beat Washington State I think. Apparently Baynes racked up dunks (NBL potential?) and they had a very quick point guard.

I think from the guys at the camp, there are no outrageous surprises except for maybe Robbins, but they might've been a guard short without him.

Reply #137680 | Report this post

Aims  
Years ago

well i say good on all of them, and if they can prove that they can play with the big boys then i think that they deserve that chance.

Reply #137684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob "I have no arc in my shot" Holmes made the squad? Man, that really is a weak squad!

Reply #137685 | Report this post

Cake  
Years ago

Will jingles make the 'A-team'??

Reply #137688 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Not sure there's room for Jingles in the A Team.

Reply #137693 | Report this post

triple deek  
Years ago

YUK! YUK! YUK!

is that the national team...? based on what???

oh OK that must be the seconds team, yeh??

Reply #137696 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's kinda like a development team, yes. Head to the NBL site to read the details.

Reply #137697 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

just off topic a little bit,

just got back from coogee beach and who should i run into for breakfest in the same hotel but BG and Dunlap and his son

had a breif chat with them asking how the sydney boomers where going got a good laugh out of that one and was extremely suprised that dunlap was still follows the sixers progress and had high praise for our spirtual leader in maher.

they where talking indepth about the boomers and got the opinion that BG was picking the brain of dunlap alot

Reply #137707 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

they shouldnt go by the boomers name... they should be "AUSTRALIA B" ok.. fair enough.. there fighting for final spots... but let that be known in public... i expect that team to get trouced by everyone in the upcomming tour... but all of the key boomers are out anyways... sam, brad newley... so putting a second team out to fight for the scraps is the best option til everyones together..... i shouldnt think too many outside of holmes, wortho or even gibson will make the real deal.

Reply #137712 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Robbins and Gibson means they really must be light at the PG spot.

Reply #137732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hurley, when Lithuania sent their B or C team for a tournament last year, it was still travelling as their national side. I wouldn't get so caught up with the name - most of this side except for maybe Robbins and Gibson would've played in Boomers singlets before.

Reply #137766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754