Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers storm home against Pigs

The Adelaide 36ERS have tonight recovered from a 13 point half-time deficit and a poor first half to snatch a strong 102-85 victory against the West Sydney Razorbacks.

After a dismal opening term that saw the Sixers manage only 13 points (Rychart 6, Forman 5, Rees 2) and Brett Maher uncharacteristically missing open shots, the home team were down 13-21. Only Dusty Rychart scoring inside and a dunk on the break from Oscar Forman gave Adelaide much hope. Maher was scoreless in the first period and even missed two of two from the charity stripe in the early minutes of the second to have the crowd concerned.

The situation for the home team, however, did pick up gradually despite the Pigs seemingly scoring at will under the basket. Willie Farley scored 6 in the second quarter and began to exert himself on the game. Nick Horvath from the visiting team continued to amass his personal tally, compiling 17 first half points en route to a game high of 27 (and 10 rebounds).

At half-time, the situation was still grim. Down 35-48 and shooting 26% from the field and 9% from outside, Adelaide needed to lift quickly. Even the rebound count was tilted heavily against them, 22-35.

After the main break, the three primary contributors for the Sixers emerged anew - Farley scoring 12, Maher 9 and Rychart 8 as Adelaide outscored West Sydney 35-17. Forman hit 2 to level the scores before Maher made a basket and the bonus shot for a 68-65 lead. From there, the home team never looked as though they could lose the game.

Maher poured in 12 final quarter points to finish with 23 points and 10 assists. Rychart scored 26 points and dragged down 13 rebounds. Farley maintained his season average with 24 points of his own. Also in double figures for Adelaide and continuing his good form was Forman who had 15 points and 11 rebounds, as well as a career (and game) high 4 blocks. Jacob Holmes managed 8 rebounds in 40 minutes, but could not find his shooting touch, making only 2 shots from 15 attempts.

For the Pigs, Dwight supported Horvath with 19 points and 13 rebounds. McGregor also managed double figures with 11 points. Sam Mackinnon had a forgetful game, fouling out in 31 minutes without a single point to his name.

Sixers: 102 (Rychart 26, Farley 24, Maher 23, Forman 15)
Razorbacks: 85 (Horvath 27, Dwight 19, McGregor 11)

Boards: 46-55
FG%: 39-44
3P%: 23-16
FT%: 75-56

Blocks: 6-3 (Forman 4)
Steals: 10-2 (Holmes 4)
Turnovers: 8-30 (only Rychart with 4 had more than 1 for the Sixers)

Boxscore

Topic #1180 | Report this topic

baller  
Years ago

Did anyone think Mackinnon looked extremely lazy when playing last night? Not seeing him play for a while... i thought he used to have game!

Reply #13243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree -- Mackinnon didn't really seem very involved. The only time he looked to make much of an effort was when blocking a shot after the whistle had gone on a play. Dwight looked decent. Pigs have a strong starting group, but a fairly exploitable bench.

Holmes' bad shooting run continues (last 3 games: 4/15, 1/8, 2/15), but he was playing the point a bit and was reliable there (4 assists, 1 turnover). Surprised he didn't get more boards actually (had 8 in 40 minutes -- most court time this season; almost his lowest board count). Was playing some tough perimeter defense in the second half and picked up a number of steals for his efforts.

Cooper missed a couple of dunks. Farley went for a big one in traffic but didn't pull it off. Horvath got the same opening at the other end but made it.

Maher and Farley had 8 between them at half-time, but finished with 47 together!

Farley seemed to be in a good mood, playing up for the crowd, etc.

Crowd was around 5k (NBL saying 5200 approx). Empty behind the home basket, but more people above the concourse than previous games. Atmosphere improved as the Sixers fought back and took the lead.

Reply #13246 | Report this post

genna  
Years ago

I think the crowd was the best ive seen it so far this season. The crowd's involvement was quite impressive, and the noise seemed to get the players (especially Farley) even more pumped. It was a fantastic game to watch, and it was great to see the boys come back from being 17 points down!

Reply #13247 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

It was as if th teams swapped singlets at half time.

There moust be some major mental issues with the pigs. There is no way a team with that much talent should play out a game like they did last night.....30 Turnovers.....Gordie must be laughing himself to sleep every weekend!

Basketball is a game of averages and the sixers proved that last night.

If you told me that Willie, Brett Jacob and Sam Mac would have a combined total of about 10 points at half time there is no way i would have beleived it.

Reply #13248 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Great game by Oscar, he has really stepped it up over the last three games.

Reply #13250 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Great comeback and a good confidence booster but they will have to score 110 to beat perth!
Can they do it?

Reply #13258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go sixers

Reply #13260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish Willie got that dunk over about 3 of the pigs in traffic.... would have almost outdone his last one on Thomas.

Reply #13261 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

As far as a watchable game goes this was a great one, well atleast the second half! Hell of a storyline to it. Individually, Mackinnon lived up to my expectations of him, always hated that 'Slammin' Sam Mackinnon' name they gave him on fox, guy has never won a thing! No points 6 fouls PRICELESS!

Great to see our backcourt (best in the league at the moment) were able to keep there heads and destroy all hope the Pigs had in one quarter.

Oscar just keeps getting better, this I am looking forward too for the coming years!

Jacob holmes though did bother me, he does so many great things, and is capable of being a great team player, he knows the offenses very well, but still forces up some of the worst shots imaginable. Missing layups is one thing, but he is consistantly driving in to double teams and blatantly throwing up low percentage shots.

His jumper is not that pretty, and if he becomes more selective of when to drive, he will fit in to the team so much better.

If he can just keep his head on offense, eliminate the bad shots, understand on this team, he simply isn't going to get Eastern Maverick type figures.

Reply #13262 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Shaqdiddy,

I'm not a huge Sam MacKinnon fan but I hate it when people come on this forum and bad mouth people with false comments.

Never won a thing?

1995 Silver Medal U19 Junior World Championships
1996 NBL Championship
1997 Gold Medal 22 & Under World Championships

Oh, and that "Slammin' Sam MacKinnon" thing, he also won the 1996 NBL Slam Dunk Comp :-)

Say you hate him and all that, but get your facts straight.

Reply #13268 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

I stand corrected. Still can't stand all the hype surrounded around his name!

Honestly though it was just a passing thought, i'm a one eyed Sixers fan, so i don't really like any other player in this league.

Oh and the facts show that I said, hated the NAME they gave him, not necessarily him :)

Reply #13363 | Report this post

Hackam Hacker  
Years ago

Slammin Sam MacKinnon has had some serious injuries over his short NBL career, as a result he can nolonger just take the ball to the hole for a dunk. Because his outside game is shaky at best he is now much less of an offensive threat than he was just a few years before.
MacKinnon(VICmet) and Trahair(VICcou) were standouts in there agegroups as juniors both are slowly fizzling away. Trahair is too slow.

Horvath's long rest in the third cost the Razors the game. He wasn't in foul trouble and he sat for ages, does anyone know why?

Reply #13601 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Flat out poor coaching I suppose. They really struggled in that 3rd quarter, coaching staff must've as well!

Reply #13958 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754