topshot
Years ago

Member Protection Officers

A Member Protection Officer (MPO)
can be the first point of call in a club or sporting organisation for any enquiries/concerns/complaints around harrassment and abuse. The MPO can provide confidential information and moral support to the person with the concern or is alledging harrassment.
This an excellent method of applying ethics in sport and encourages positive behaviour, codes of behaviour conduct, child protection and assists in providing an enjoyale sporting experience to members, all stakeholders and customers.
Basketball Clubs could consider endorsing suitable members to do the Member Protection course ( 2 days) through the Australian Sports Commission.
Given all the negative feedback posted in relation to difficult coaches, and parents and dissatisfaction at the quality of customer service provided by District Basketball Clubs this could be a positive process.
This may only be one of the solutions to assist those who have felt unheard or bullied by the system.
Anybody else out there with other solutions.
There is a duel responsibility for coaches, administrators and parents to assist clubs in becoming more professional and proactive.
Happy kids play better!!!!

Topic #11895 | Report this topic

canyoudoit  
Years ago

topshot or should we say cheapshot,

The basketball club that I am involved with has just such a person. They are a school teacher that does not coach nor is a junior paretn of our club. This person can be contated at any point of the disput process if a parent is uncertain about whether what is right is happening.

They would receive on average 2 letters per year. So I doubt that the issue is as big as you might believe.

maybe you could move to my club. Then again, with your constant bitching and moaning on here, I hope they would not accept you.

Reply #138946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes top shot move to 'canyoudoit's club where they only get two letters a year. They would get more but the previous year's complainers are still in Siberia.
What a @%$^%$^&*&()(

Reply #138950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was just thinking with all the anonymous bagging of "my club versus your club" in these recent threads (exemplified by 138946), without a club actually being mentioned... Have the people outright bagging eachother under random names considered they may be from the same club?

That would be quite amusing. Or maybe they know eachother and have brought their personal arguement here and I don't know s**t.

Reply #138951 | Report this post

topshot  
Years ago

And I thought I was trying to put a
positive slant on what seems to be a contentious issue.
Your club should be congratulated on dealing with issues so professionally.
I am actually in a great club and the kids wear their colours with pride.
Great clubs still can have issues, it is how they manage them.

Reply #138953 | Report this post

canyoudoit  
Years ago

topshot/cheapshot,
being proactive would be attending your next AGM, offering your services to the club for this position. Not coming onto a website and bitching about how your kid is sitting in div 3 and blaming volunteer coaches for it

Reply #138957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

topshot/cheapshot,

Your "positive slant" is nothing but an avenue for you to continue taking pot-shots at volunteers.
Your "contentious issue" is nothing other than you having a major sook about your perceptions apparently being different to reality.

Why don't you apply for your clubs committee? Is it because then you will actually have to DO something, other than point out the flaws in those who willingly donate their time to this sport (whether it be coach, committee etc)?

Reply #138959 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

Topshot, I think you would struggle to find a person in junior basketball that doesn't agree with your 1st post.

In my experience the parents that suggest bullying takes place are those same agressive parents that abuse administrators, other kids (not their own) and coaches. They constantly state obvious ideas but then say they dont want to help carry out those ideas. However I hope that is not the case in your case.

I wonder if BSA could have someone in this role and all the clubs/BSA could share in the funding of that person.

Reply #138965 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

topshot - I think this is a good post, and a good idea.

"Canyouidiot" and #138959, what are your problems? Far out talk about firing up over nothing.. unless you guys see something in the first post that I don't, go take your pills

Reply #138973 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

me thinks canyou and topshot know each other

Reply #138978 | Report this post

D. Thomas  
Years ago

I think a central MPO to be used for all clubs, that has no agenda, no kids playing & no ties to any club would be a fantastic idea and one that BA (or what ever they call themselves at this moment in time)should look at.

There are a lot of stupid small minded parents out there; however you are not seeing 1cm past your nose if you don't think that there are some equally smallminded stupid coaches out there that have agendas and do hold grudges and will push little Charlie Scratchbum, ahead of Johnny Smellypants just because they might like the kid or parent despite "Johnny" being more skillful or a better long term prospect for the club.

If your coach is a little "Hitler" as we had to endure some seasons back, your only option is to put your hand up and risk hurting your kids chances of advancing or keeping your mouth shut and hoping the coach will change clubs or move to another age group; hopefully not the one your kid is about to enter.

As far as putting your hand up and giving your time to the club; the club I am from asks that all parents contribute there time to the club a couple of times a year. If you can't do that, you are charged with extra fees. In any case just because you do not contribute your time to your club you should not be excluded from making valid complaints if you think it will do any good.

Reply #139012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's the problem though D. Thomas, you said VALID complaints. How do you know?

Reply #139021 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

139021, most of the time its both parties that have valid complaints. Sitting down and actually speaking the issues through, with a mediator would solve 99% of the problems. COmmunication always resolves these kinds of issues.

I have hardly met a coach that is not a good person. I have met some bad communicators and coaches that need development. Just about all parents I meet love their kids more than anything and will do anything, at any cost, to see their kids succeed, not bad traits in parents but something that needs to be handled and managed carefully.

Both these parties communicating, with an independent mediator, would resolve the issues.

Reply #139022 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

I also dont know if member protection offer is the right name. Perhaps Ombudsmen. MPO implies child protection issues. If there are issues wsith child protection then go to the police / law, that is a different issue than parent/player/coach/administrator "disputes".

Reply #139024 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

We are talking about an ombudsman type position here that would need authority to investigate and act. This Authority would have to come from a higher authority that the sport itself otherwise the end effect will equal window dressing.
Perhaps good way to start would be to introduce a formal (police)vetting system similar to some other states that then qualifies by issue of a card for an adult to be involved with junior activities (blue card in Qld.) No Card, no gig.

I am not aware of any system in place for vetting spectators other than the code of conduct which has as many teeth as the standard laying hen.

Reply #139029 | Report this post

tnt  
Years ago

Member Protection Officer has nothing to do with child protection.
An MPO endorsed by the Australian Sports Comission is purely about ethical practice and involves all stakeholders in their individual sports.(players, committee, parent, administration)
Do not get it confused with mandatory notifications. It has nothing to do with police/law.
I think having MPOs in District Clubs is a really valid option worthy of been investigated.
Having an Ombudsman is also valid, but he/she would have to have to completely independent, meaning not having a child either playing or coaching otherwise there could be a risk of conflict of interest.

Reply #139032 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

There is no confusion from my understanding. As stated an MPO would put a face to the endorsed Code of Conduct that in basketball is a lovely attired hens tooth.

My points are:

A passive approach to date is not effective.

A more active approach has been taken in other states.

We initiate thes practices for prevention and protection for all participants and the betterment of the sport.

Therefore I strongly disagree with tnt that "Member Protection Officer has nothing to do with child protection" mate, its in the title!!!!

Reply #139062 | Report this post

Who protects us against U sween?

Reply #139071 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Isaac and his merry mods?

Try installing a member protection officer, see if that works?

Urinate to the wind?

Otherwise a shoulder and a big hanky.

Reply #139081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754