cheezeburger
Years ago

Draft Day Promise??

as reported on a site atlanta has promise acie law the number 11 selection in the draft.

what is a promise?? what players in the past have had a promise by a team and then been selected by them?

is it common/or uncommon for promises to be broken? can it be used as a bluff to look to trade up or down or the play with other gm's selections to improve to chances of selecting the player they really want to grab.

does anyone have info on a draft day promise??

Topic #11928 | Report this topic

cheezeburger  
Years ago

prob looking from a post by TR........

Reply #139370 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

It doesn't happen a whole lot, although it's not out of the norm. One that sticks in my mind is Atlanta promising Shelden Williams that they would take him at #5 the other year, which they did.

I don't know how effective it is in changing the minds of GM's that are already drafting above the team, as the promise would be made to a player that fills a certain need. The only thing it may do is result in a player cancelling his workout with a team that could trade up a couple of spots to get them.

With Acie Law though, I don't think that it's certain Atlanta gave him the promise. ESPN's Chad Ford says it may have been the Clippers, but either way I doubt they would break the promise unless someone falls a long way on draft day.

Reply #139371 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Shelden last year was a promise by Atlanta. Also a few years ago Korolev (Clippers) was a promise and he's turned into a huge bust.

It pretty much means that unless someone in front takes Law III he will become a Hawk (unless there's a trade in the wind). He canceled his workout with the Hornets which are selected 13th, so I'm guessing he's been told he won't get past 11. Pretty much a session with any team after 11 is a waste of time for Law III now. He'll just sit back and take it easy.

This also pretty much slots in Horford with the 3rd pick. Horford and Law III is a great draft for the Hawks. Only better result would be either Oden or Durant.

#1 - Oden
#2 - Durant (apparently impressed the socks of the Blazers staff)
#3 - Horford (pretty much a lock now)

Don't think it was the Clips that offered him the promise. Clips are selecting at 14, plus they like their point guards tall so they'll take Crittenton, or if they want a wingman, Thad/Nick Young.

I think the most successful promises have been Allan Houston (#11) and Lindsay Hunter (#10) for the Pistons. Both drafted in the same year and only worked out for 1 team, the Pistons.

I'm not too sure if a rookie would come out and state "this team promised me" if not select cause you can bet your ar$e the franchise will say it's all lies. Not a good start to your NBA career.

Reply #139387 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I lied, the most successful promise was Tim Duncan. The Spurs told everyone at the lottery after they just jagged the number 1 away from Boston that they would select Tim Duncan and wouldn't bother working out any other players.

I'm pretty sure Orlando also selected Shaq at the lottery and didn't workout anyone else.

Reply #139388 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Pretty sure Gibson was guarenteed by the Cavs that they would take him last year

Reply #139389 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

LeBron was also a lock when the Cavs got the #1 pick a few years back.

Reply #139416 | Report this post

Atlanta are stupid if they pass up Mike conley. how many great PGs will this franchise pass up on.

Reply #139481 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

hes no number 3 pick ELG

Reply #139498 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

How about a promise to draft a decent player??

Cheeze, you like those new uniforms the Hawks are going to be playing in??

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/newuniform_pr_062707.html

sorry, don't know how to post a picture on here....

Reply #139501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Looks a bit Team USA? What was wrong with the old ones?

Reply #139511 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

New Uniforms are looking the goods.
Tho it could be like havin a pommy shower no matter how much deoderant you spray you still stink.

enjoy it cheeze

Reply #139523 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Prefer the old Kevin Willis/Nique era uniforms personally..

Reply #139537 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

you need to look good to play good the hamma.ive put in my order...

JOSH SMITH AN ALL STAR THIS SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #139619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754