123abc
Years ago

NH- 7 to revive Hey Hey It's Saturday!

DARYL Somers may be about to turn back the clock with plans to reinvent Hey Hey It's Saturday for a new generation.
Somers, a hit again with Dancing with the Stars, has been given funding by Channel 7 to make a pilot for a new prime-time Saturday night show.

More at news.com.au: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,21952945-10229,00.html

Topic #11950 | Report this topic

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Hey Hey Its Yesterday

Reply #139606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daryl Somers needs to give it up.

Then we need to bring back It's a Knockout instead.

Reply #139611 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

... that's the name, of the game!

My sister was a star on that show. Got clime poured all over her.

Sh*t she was so cool back then

Reply #139618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Remember how SA were in green, and were nearly always rubbish. Except occasionally there'd be a group like that one from Stirling who romped over everyone.

One of my long-held ideas shelved until I have the means to see it through is to establish an entertainment company that'd compete with paintball, laser skirmish, ten pin bowling, etc. Kids, teens, adults would show up for a day of team-based competition in arenas similar to those seen on It's a Knockout! or Friday Night Live - kids birthdays, corporate events, trophies at the end, etc. Would just need some watertight indemnity contracts and some expensive insurance to cover for spinal injuries and the like!

Anyone with a tonne of disposable funds who wants to partner on the idea, please get in touch! ;)

Reply #139623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Hey is old but at least it's not as old as Lanard Copeland!

Reply #139627 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

#627 - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Reply #139629 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Give him the grrr.. SVD!

Reply #139633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Daryl McDonald playing again this year? Now that is old!!

Reply #139642 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Yes......fond memories of It's A Knockout, was only a kid but used to watch it with a passion!!!

And yes, I do remember the SA teams used to suck.....

SA = Green
VIC = Blue
QLD = Yellow
NSW = Red

Reply #139656 | Report this post

Great call Isaac.

That's the first thing I thought when I read the topic!

I have a feeling that high insurance premiums and our overly-litigious society would make it hard, unfortunately.

I miss waking up to watch that show on the weekends. Almost as much as I miss being able to watch NBA Action on free to air TV.

Late 80's and early 90's FTW!

Reply #139665 | Report this post

channel 7 should get Tony Martin on the t.v instead. has anyone watched the nation with Mick Molloy. how does this guy keep getting a tv gig

Reply #139667 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

'It's a Knockout' was shown in the evenings, so you must be a late riser.......

Reply #139668 | Report this post

I know it was originally, but they used to do replays on either Saturday or Sunday morning.

I'm not sure if that was during the original filming of the show, or whether these were shown a few years after it had wrapped up.

I'm pretty sure it was an early-morning thing, around 6 or 7 o'clock.

Reply #139672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's A Knockout used to be on Sunday evenings and was hosted by Ron Barassi

Reply #139770 | Report this post

bitter sweet  
Years ago

GLADIATORS READY

Reply #139773 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

heard john blackman is on board with hey hey. i would only watch plucka if they have him back on.

Reply #139775 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Sad, sad stuff - but then again that crap ch 9 show with Merrick and Rosso was able to prosper for more time than i ever thought possible... Question: Is it still on??? (in Japan so don`t know)...

Reply #139808 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Isaac,

I actually went to a work team building / fund raising event in Scotland about 2 years ago that is exactly the idea you're talking about, it may have even been called "It's a Knockout" (if not then they promoted it as an It's a Knockout style event).

It was gold, we played human table football (massive inflatable arena, you're strapped into a pole and can only move side to side with the co-operation of your fellow pole strappers), bouncy castle volleyball, lazer pigeon shooting and a few other whacky events. We even had Keith "Cheggers" Chegwin hosting the day.

I think there's definitely a market for that type of thing, especially in Australia as we're more inherently active than the Brits, but it's a pretty full on operation and you'd need plenty of start up capital.

Reply #139994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If done properly, I reckon it'd go nuts. Anyone who's recently won the lottery, yell out.

Reply #140029 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Lets go a bit lateral here. Say you include the health and fitness aspect, a dramatic arts component incorporating indigenous well being and self development. The federal government will most likely fund it particularly if it is filmed in the Northern Territory. The winner gets a new health officer or policeperson for their community and a basketball. Screen on the ABC or sell to commercial TV. After the filming, lease the written off props to yourself and go with the private enterprise idea.
Anyone successful with applying for government arts grants?

Reply #140063 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Isaac,

Wasn;t there an arena style paintball tournament screened on ESPN sometime in the last 12 months?

Reply #140292 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

yes, i actually watched a little bit of it!

Reply #140301 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Isaac,

Great idea BUT, I have a entertainment company now and my insurance for basic rides like a merry go round or even a giant slide are astranomical. My bungee run ride and mechanical bull are $4000 each per year as long as you have no claims. As soon as a claim is made against you it more than doubles. So something like that where the participants are doing crazy things on equipment you may not even get someone to insure you to start with. Also given the above prices you would need about 5-10 events so you would be looking at insurance of about $20,000 plus plus plus easily per year, thats is alot of funds to catch up on before you make a cent. Then purchasing the equipment, wages and the list goes on. I have been in the rides business for 13years and seeing a lot of companies finishing trading due to our sue happy nature causing crazy premiums.

Reply #180327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i loved hey hey its saturday, i grew up watching it, the best show ever!!! it would be awesome to see it again

Reply #197325 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754