Isaac
Years ago

Funny Hollinger's New Draft Ranking System

Found this very interesting. ESPN's John Hollinger has devised a method of predicting the best picks for future NBA success based on college performance.

...this system clearly holds up. Take that 2002 draft, for example. The best collegian from that draft is Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer, who was taken with the 35th overall pick by Cleveland -- after Dajuan Wagner, Jeffries, Ely, Haislip, Ryan Humphrey, Kareem Rush, Casey Jacobsen, Frank Williams, John Salmons, Chris Jefferies, Dan Dickau, Roger Mason, Robert Archibald and Vincent Yarbrough were off the board.

My formula has Boozer 34 spots higher -- at the top of the draft. In fact, he's one of the five best college prospects to come out in the last half decade, according to the system.

Evaluating collegians in the draft

What does his system say about the 2007 draft?

Durant by miles, then Oden, then Conley Jr.
Kevin Durant is the best talent to come out of the college ranks in the last half decade. As we've learned, this doesn't necessarily mean he'll become the best player. But his 870.7 score blows the previous best -- Carmelo Anthony's 781.3 in 2003 -- right out of the water. If there's one thing that makes me reconsider the Oden versus Durant question after I thought it had been settled, this is it. I mean, how can you pass on this guy when his numbers are this overwhelming?

He has details on what influences his system, what red flags drag down a player, and includes the picks for recent years based on the system.

Definitely worth a read.

Topic #11972 | Report this topic

hustle  
Years ago

Had a look at this earlier this morning, would be interesting to see how good his predictions for this year will turn out, but we wont know for a couple of years.

Reply #139816 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Hmm, interesting idea!!

But it seems like he just frigged the numbers a bit so that some good people from past drafts were at the top of the list. There are just as many examples of the formula not working. I think Ben Gordon was a great pick at number 2 in the draft in 2004, but he is listed at 7.

It doesn't take into account attitude, work rate, etc...

But an interesting read regardless!

Reply #139817 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

You just don't know do you. NBA front offices spend every second of their day this time of year watching game tape, talking to coaches, working out players, monitoring what other teams are doing, looking at players they might trade up or down for. If they only get it right half of the time that shows how hard it is to know how someone will pan out in the league.

Reply #139835 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754