Big Pete
Years ago

Can a poor player be a good coach?

Can a poor player be a good coach?

Curious to know how many excellent coaches were not that good as players.

Because its usually the good players who demand the respect when they enter as coaches, or

Does the winning mentality play an important role in being a coach, that is the coach has been a winning player previously.

id like to think that an indiviadual can have a great basketball brain and can be an outstanding coach, even though they may not have had talent themselves.

Curious to hear what people think.

Topic #1203 | Report this topic

Court Marshall  
Years ago

Good players should make good coaches, BUT, it depends on their communication style. A less skilled player might know the game back to front but just isn't blessed with a good body for it. Their playing ability shouldn't come into it when they coach, how they coach and get their message across is what it's all about. Good players who become coaches would have a better understanding of what it takes to be a good player.

Reply #13523 | Report this post

Hackam Hacker  
Years ago

Yes

Ask yourself
Are ALL coaches 6ft tall athletes
Almost all good players are

Reply #13528 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Look at the Australian Cricket Team's Coach, John Buchanan. Not known for his playing ability but one heck of a coach.

Reply #13529 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

You need to define poor. If a person is a poor player because he has no idea then obviously he is unlikely to be a good coach. If a player is a poor/poorer player because of athletic base skills such as a lack of pace or strength or jumping skill or physical such as size then I see no reason why he wouldn't be a good coach. Obviously smarts is the issue and perhaps being a poorer player helps in the understanding and coaching of the non elite player.

Reply #13530 | Report this post

Court Marshall  
Years ago

Have a look (sorry I don't know girls apart from Dean Kinsman, and he is a very good coach)

Norwood - Rupert Sapwell (good player, played NBL)
Forestville - Andy Simons (good player, played NBL)
Southern - Billy Hopkins (solid ABL player)
Woodville - Tracy York (no idea if she played or even what level)
Centrals - Ricky Simpson (good player, played NBL)
North - Scott Loveday (solid ABL player)
West - Bob Hunnerup (don't think he played)
South - Kelly Manning (not sure about his playing days)
Eastern - Richard Hill (I think he played)

It appears if you want to coach at the highest level, you have to have had a decent playing career, by decent I mean past U20's Div 1 (York and Hunnerup are exceptions). Anyone agree, anyone disagree??

Reply #13533 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

yeah and looked what happened to warriors program after they realised what sort of person/coach she is?? half if not all the main team have left at some point or another and i dont think it would have been due to anything else but dis-satisfaction with her coaching style. incidently west had also gone backwards since hunnerup had been there compared to there spear days.

Reply #13539 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Coach, don't talk about things if you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You obviously don't know anything about what goes on at Woodville.

Reply #13541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be Interesting to see how the sturt boys play under Ric Castle, from what ive neard he has a vast coaching knowledge and history, but not much of a playing career.

Reply #13542 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

No!

Reply #13549 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

I think it all depends on how u define a good player. A good player may be someone not that doesnt stand out in the team but is a valuable contribution eg - team work, effort, intensity etc, yet they may not score as much as the 'star/s'.
A good player could also be those above mentioned 'star/s'.
Also, a good coach isn't in some cases, ages or divisions, just purely there for winning games, yet it plays a big part.
A good coach could be defined as inspirational; a good role model; someone who gets the best out of the team; develops new stratgeies to benefit the team; allows players the chance to seek one hundred percent enjoyment out the game itself.
If both parties can walk away happy at the end of a season, then they are possibly a good coach.

Reply #13552 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

is that right FLY maybe i know more than you think?? who has left over the past three seasons??? you do the research???

Reply #13554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a coach the biggest compliment I ever received was that my team over achieved.

Good junior coaches are those who's teams over achieve and who's players learn the most. Winning and Losing really shouldn't be a factor.

Reply #13559 | Report this post

In order to be a descent coach you have to had played at the level or higher you are coaching.

The longer you played at that level the better. Im not so sure how good a player you actually were matters. Plenty of great players are just unique and do it because of natural ability but you could not really teach how they play.

Reply #13568 | Report this post

Frank Arsego was in the West Adelaide NBL squad. He and the Cairns coach did not play NBL. Cairns are bottom New Zealand are 3rd to bottom.

Brian Goor was captain of Melbourne Tigers in the 1st yr or 2 of the NBL.

Reply #13575 | Report this post

Womens basketball and olympics are exceptions :)

Reply #13577 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

It doesn't seem to be the done thing around here lately, but I agree with Jirachi.
The level you have played at has NO relevance to your ability to coach. The best coaches are those with the best basketball brains and the ability to relate to the players in order to get the most out of them.
Having a sweet jump shot or being a great rebounder doesn't automatically make you a good coach.

Reply #13578 | Report this post

biasbinding  
Years ago

think you will find that tracy york played district ball for forestville

she has also coached at international level she has a silver medal from the sydney olympics with the australian women's paralympic basketball team.

she also has experience with the police comp and she also has vast experience coaching at state level plus she has her level 3 coaching cert.

and being a poor player doesn't mean you can't coach just means you didn't or might not have had the skill level to make it to the highest level.

the same argument could be just because you were a good player does that mean you are a good coach and oh boy can i think of some woeful examples of no it does not.

Reply #13579 | Report this post

Jirachi's mummy  
Years ago

Cat in the Hat would you like to come over for play lunch with Jirachi? ;-)

Reply #13586 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

A lot of good even great players do not make good or great coaches, but it helps. If you have played at a high level you have most probably received good coaching on the way. A good coach takes what he has been taught combines it with what he has learned and puts his/her own stamp on all of it. Getting the best out of players and controlling egos without breaking their spirit is an art not all coaches have.

Reply #13588 | Report this post

Fritz and Sauce  
Years ago

York can coach as per above. Very knowledgeable chick!!

Reply #13592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laurie Lawrence can't swim!

Reply #13773 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

It take longer for a poor player to be a good coach. Coz they don't have the feel and experience of playing at a high level. Knowledge is one thing, play experience is another. But you can always get "play experiences" knowledge from the players when they told you what happened in the court, as a coach.

The hardest part for poor player is that it's harder to convice the good players if you really know the game when you sucks. So it take lots of extra hardwork for poor player to reach a so-called good coach.

Well-done, tracy.

Reply #54307 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754