Isaac
Years ago

Did the Spurs offer Duncan for Oden?

Interesting story from Oregon about the Blazers' GM deciding on Oden.

Oden wasn't a slam dunk

First, was an offer from an Eastern team:

The executive made an offer that was moderate in shock value: A five-time All-Star and this year's lottery pick in exchange for the No. 1 pick and the Blazers' 2008 first-round pick.

As enticing as the offer was -- the Blazers in years past had made a run at the All-Star player -- Pritchard declined on the spot.
Then:
A team within the Blazers division proposed a trade involving a future Hall of Famer and a standout rookie for the Blazers' No. 1 pick.

As Pritchard described it, he stayed up until 3 a.m. in his hotel room with his staff considering the offer.
Ultimately, Pritchard and his staff came to a conclusion: They would not make the deal, determining the No. 1 pick was so valuable, that only a trade involving Cleveland star LeBron James would be considered.

It would take eight hours for Pritchard's conviction to be tested.
And then another tempting offer:
Pritchard that morning was approached by a general manager of a Western Conference power.

With bright lights illuminating the court below, Pritchard sat in a darkened corner with the general manager. The general manager wanted the Blazers' No. 1 pick. And he was willing to offer a player that will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Within the span of 24 hours, the Blazers had offers for two certain Hall of Famers in exchange for the No. 1 pick.
Spotted some guesses on TrueHoop - they narrowed it down to Nash (thought the Suns wouldn't trade him at all), Dirk (might not be an easy straight-in for the HoF) and Duncan.

That article is split over a bunch of pages, but you can read it on one (just ignore the printer pop-up): Full article.

Topic #12044 | Report this topic

Max  
Years ago

the last offer could b steve nash-he is a future hall of famer

Reply #140614 | Report this post

Spurs  
Years ago

The Spurs know how to get it done.. Over the last 18 years or so they have had a dominant center and while Duncan is getting older it would be logical to offer him for the potential of Oden. Blazers didnt bite good on em..

Reply #140615 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I saw that yesterday Issac

Took me and a mate a while to work it out

There were 2 seperate offers

KG and Foye
& Pierce and pick 5

Both of which no one would take in a fit.

Reply #140616 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Wow!
Good read, cheers Isaac..

Reply #140617 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I just can't see them making that offer, Duncan for Oden. This kid hasn't even made his mark yet, is he really going to be that good, better than Duncan??? I would take Duncan anyday.

Reply #140619 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How much longer is Duncan going to play? Oden is 12 years younger. Maybe that's enough for them?

Reply #140625 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

No way would Poppovich allow Duncan to leave - there would be a hostage situation in San Antonio. Timmy D was never gonna be shipped out IMO.

Alos, i found it amusing that Pritchard barely slept leading up to the Draft. He most likely couldnt do the math required with all the 000's on the season tickets/boxes they are gonna sell with Oden.

Reply #140635 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

The first offer was definitely made by Ainge, essentially would have been Paul Pierce and the 5 pick. I found it pretty funny that he had the cheek to ask for a first round draft pick next year as well, I don't think you can make too many demands when asking for Oden.

Reply #140731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If portland hadve accepted Duncan for Oden.. they shouldve been slapped.

Why on earth would you want an ageing Duncan with a few years left, over a young, future leagues most dominant centre with 12+ years left in him?

Still dont think Duncans all that n a bag of chips, he's always had a good crew supporting him.

Reply #140766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754