Basketbal Drafter
Years ago

Local ABA Draft - breathing life back into ABA

This needs further discussion....

This can work read on....something has to be done...you all whinge and whine about the state of the game but not prepared to come up with a fair system for all. It needs a change and this in one idea. Who ever proposed this I congratulate you for at least trying. To me it sounds great.

I hear and see that some people feel they are not getting a chance to play ABA. Some young players are disgruntled that they are not getting a chance which becomes a negative feeling around the clubs. Some are justified and some should think about what they have to offer.

This may have been done before but it's just an idea....

The fairest way for the AFL to survive and make it an even playing field was the introduction of the Draft....No one really knows who will win each week as it is fair and the stock that each team has. A good example is Hawthorn, down and out a few years back, went to draft picks and now look. My question is why can't we do this in ABA?

Each club has to submit a required player list, I think it is 16. Each ABA game has about 10 players on average each Saturday. Why can't this be stretched to 20 or 25 which includes 4 rookies.

Each Club puts all 16 - 20 players on a one or two year contract (up to the club on what they offer)which is performance based. These contracts are reviewed half yearly to see if they are achieving the key indicators set out for them and by the club coach. The club placing expectations on the player to perform. If they don't reach these expectations then the contract is removed or revoked. Money doesn't have to come into the equation just the right to play at the best level locally. Money can be decided by each individual club. By having the rookies on the list they get to experience ABA and are elevated just like the AFL.
Each year all the Juniors in under 16's and 18s all aspire to ABA and beyond and now this gives them a sense of belonging. All clubs who do not go on the required list are open to recruiting players for clubs who are less down the ladder making it an even ball game. If they wish the ABA can have a Draft day and people can apply to go into the draft. Of course the club retains the option for renewal but wouldn't this make the game more even allowing lower clubs to pick up players who are capable of playing at a higher level....seems fair to me.

I have put this up for discussion. If its good we can put up a business case....people will know exactly where they are then and not guessing. People gravitate to the higher clubs because they want success, make it even and bring the competition back into basketball.

Posted by Basketball Draft last month

Topic #12045 | Report this topic

Life isnt fair  
Years ago

Why Whinge? Young players today just want instant success without putting in their dues.. Stop Complaining and go have your kid practice til he/she is good enough!

Reply #140623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you pitch it as a solution to kids not getting the time they think they deserve. they can move to another club if they want. no need for a draft..

Reply #140626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some people arent going to want to train and play out at eastern each week

Reply #140629 | Report this post

J Packer  
Years ago

How do u think this will work with the ABL salary CAP being reduced??? Its altraedy going to be less money for the stornger players???

Reply #140636 | Report this post

true  
Years ago

The anonymous poster is spot on. Kids, or anyone for that matter can move change clubs(assuming that the ckub of their choice actually wants them), at pretty much any time he/she wants to.

Also, even with the draft, there is always going to be people who complain that the are not getting a go. These are the people bring our sport down, because they are trying to play and in some cases succeeding when they just are not very good!

Reply #140640 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

you forget a large number of kids still believe in club loyalatiy -

Reply #140644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Right, so how would a draft that could send them to another club work for them?

Reply #140661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drafts work in other MAJOR sports at the TOP levels because money 'buys' loyalty. Can't see how it can work or benefit clubs at ABA /ABL level.
Clubs instead need to continue working to build their juniors, get quality coaches for their ABL team and the rest will fall into place.

Reply #140706 | Report this post

How will it work for them Isaac you ask....simple?

Every top level sport or team can only can have so many players to fit into one side...what happens to the rest? well they either move around or quit the game. People are to focused on money and that maybe so but if people are contracted to a club arrangements can be made for things like petrol etc...Each ABA club has a salary cap so better use this for its team to get the best players available. Loyalty is another, they say some clubs want to hang onto certain players well if they don't get the time whats happens then....throw all the names into a draft or start a draft. Each club select new players depending on how many vacancies occur. Players then get picked for a variety of reasons as similar to AFL or SANFL....you can also introduce father son/daughter rule. This way each club has a list of 20 something players. Each of the more dedicated juniors or players will strive not only to be picked by there own team but the ability to play at a high level, called ABA. In time the competition improves. If players wish to ove from club to club then they would have to give up something or drop a player or transfer them.
It can work and it would certaialy even up the sport...makes it more interesting than watching the same teams every year winning whilst the lower teams remain low. This gives everyone an opportunity to play. It makes people hungry to achieve and play ABA. It stops people from being disgruntled where they know the rules, work hard and they will play ABA even better they could play for there chosen team....it can work...at least think about the concept and look at continual progress. This may appear radical but it can work. Isaac I am prepared to come and give you a draft outline of what can be done but the sport needs an injection. I can only look at the AFL Draft and what people thought when it ws introduced...now look at the results, attendances are up, teams are even and the nest thing on any given day the bottom team can beat the top team....money I don't think is the issue...tansport, petrol money is easy to find, club sponsorships etc....it can work it just needs someone to own this project and I am quite happy to put my hand in the ring.

Reply #140725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basktball Drafter, your naive enthusiasm, while admirable, is incomprehensibly misguided. Your system is so ridiculously convoluted and impractical that it would only create more problems. This would never work. Not in theory, not in practice. This is the ABA, it's fun, it's a good standard, but it's not that big a deal. Club strength starts from the bottom up, not top down.

Please don't write anymore on this, you're embarrassing yourself.

Reply #140774 | Report this post

Basketbal Drafter  
Years ago

It goes to show you know little about basketball and the big word titled survival is the key to this sport and others. Lets continue to watch it spiral down. You see people like you can't see beyond your own self importance. I don't think Presidents of clubs would see ABA as fun....I think you need to find another sport it shows you like the continual down turn of basketball and its future. Let me see, when basketball does hit rock bottom you will pick up that stone and throw it and blame people for not doing enough. Yes this is an idea to kick start a think tank....perhaps you should direct your energies into proposing ideas not hindering.....leave the sport your comments are a waste of breath.....we don't need knockers...so get over it

Reply #140781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Self-importance? I'm not the one playing the martyr here. Sure, you've proposed an idea, but it is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard, and that fact that you call this a "think tank" is laughable. And don't resort to heralding the doom of basketball to add credence to your argument, when your argument is inherently flawed to begin with. I'm not a pessimistic "knocker", I am simply telling you that YOUR idea, not ideas in general, but YOUR idea is stupid. It is... so get over it.

Reply #140783 | Report this post

Basketbal Drafter  
Years ago

at least I am trying to look at a problem in an attempt to secure our game for the future. Once again you are just a knocker witting on the side line shooting people down and then blaming everyone else for the demise. You really need to shut up or put up....I can't see any solutions you have written????perhaps you need to get a life and leave it to people who at least have a vision to the future. The view must be great from the cheap seats.

Reply #140879 | Report this post

Panda  
Years ago

Oppurtunity to play ABA !
Everyone has the oppurtunity to play ABA. What happend to work ethic ? Maybe some people need to realise its not just a given right to move from juniors to the ABA, you earn your spot which doesnt happen straight away. Minutes this, minutes that, what about "harden up".

Reply #140884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will be the first to admit that I have not put forward any solutions (actually, I'm not exactly sure that the problem you are suggesting exists, actually does. Sure, some clubs are stronger than others, but that has far more to do with the convenience of the clubs location, the internal operations of the club and the subsequent strength of their junior programs). All I am saying, and I will say this once more because it doesn't seem to be getting through to you, is that your idea is stupid and by the lack of support you have received from your rambling dissertations, I don't think I'm alone.

Reply #140889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What team has consistently failed to be competitive? Eastern are battlers this year, but were at the top end of the table not far back. Woodville are in the middle this year, but were champs recently.

Maybe South and Centrals have failed to dominate, but put up strong teams in recent years and once upon a time wasn't South one of the best sides? Norwood struggled the other year but are top-tier now.

If players want to change teams to get minutes or for other reasons, they can. Goodenough, Watson, that ex-North guy with the name I can't remember how to spell (so I won't try), Fuller, Reeves - they've all changed teams in the last 1-2 years alone and there are probably more.

Sorry, I just can't see a draft being the solution. As has been said, it looks like an unnecessary and convoluted solution to a poorly defined problem.

Let's say you have an 18yo prospect at a strong team, not quite good enough to crack the roster. Why do they need a draft to shop themselves around (talk to friends, to coaches, etc) for a better opportunity?

Someone outside the best 20 at Sturt (for example) probably wouldn't get a run at Centrals (for example). Why would they throw their hat into a ring that could see them having to drive to Starplex when they could be thrown into the mix within a year at their own club? Look at some of the kids at Sturt this year - the Sabres lost five starters (Smylie, Forman, Gower, Bauer, Shepherd) in one off-season, and Paget and co are getting a decent go - most of those guys weren't even on the extended bench last year.

Paget was patient. Breheny moved clubs and got major minutes. Neither needed a draft.

Reply #140890 | Report this post

Basketbal Drafter  
Years ago

It was a discussion topic not a means whereby people can sling crap. You argue you cant see a problem when one actually does. I don't have to prove this argument Isaac because it has been done before and that is at AFL, SANFL level and before you say it money is not the key. This draft system has worked you just need to look at how things have changed in these codes. I hate it when people say its all too hard...its offers pathways for our juniors...to achieve and work harder...look at the basics and whether you agree or not it could would it just lacks peoples imaginations. At least I am putting something up instead of the contants dribble and negativity this site attracks...where are the positives.....Yes I am passionate to the game that appears flawed currently. We need new focus on ABA as we are losing people. Go to some of the ABA games how many people attend? Why the competition is top heavy...make it even and the spirit and competion returns....have you a better soluntion?

Reply #140925 | Report this post

Panda  
Years ago

Do you think the low attendances to the ABA games have anything to do with the lack of exposure/publicity of this league within SA ?
Im not saying a draft is right or wrong it is a thought that has been raised as a positive for the game so you have to respect that.
Does the media here really do anything for ABA though ?

Reply #140926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not slinging crap. I'm saying that I think you've defined a supposed problem poorly and then derived a solution that doesn't necessarily have a strong relationship to the original problem.

Crowds don't go to games because there is virtually zero publicity outside of this community, a bit in The Advertiser and the Messenger. A lot of the coverage are reviews in retrospect, not publicity in the lead up to a game.

A lack of alternative solutions doesn't mean that yours has legs. Nor does someone need to put up a viable solution to provide criticism of yours.

Looking at this season, why wouldn't you talk of a points cap to distribute someone like Rychart to a team like Centrals? How's a draft going to address that?

And why is a kid going to sign a contract for zero financial return?

Reply #140928 | Report this post

Basketbal Drafter  
Years ago

Not saying you sling crap but this is a short example of the proposal. I'm sure you would agree that change can't be as simple as that. You have made valid points and that is good. I was just trying to breath some fresh ideas for discussion but as usual you get shot down as soon as you type (not saying you) You are correct about the reasons why crow is down and it always comes back to money but unless you have a product that is clearly for sale and people get good value for money in return why would they go.
You see by an introduction of a class player to a strong club would not work under a draft would it and this is what I am saying? The strong clubs stay strong and the weaker clubs fade away.
this proposal was in short an idea obviously a lot of work would need to be made in making adjustments but in the end it could work and thats my opinion. Whether I have described the problem well in the short term is immaterial...You can only type so much to grab the attention.....The original poster of this I thought was on the right path...I think it was 'on the grapevine' at least he had a dip. I thought myself it had merit and of course it was a snapshot I'm guessing. Isaac people need to be constructive when making comments because at the end of the day if we fail, these negative people who just bag people instead of coming up with solutions will say I told you so......I love watching the ABA but totally disappointed at the crowds that come. ABA has talented players and the public do not see this or if they do they see one sided games.....

Reply #140932 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you put up an idea and get shot down by the majority, could it be that it's not that good an idea?

I think the product is pretty decent and the pricepoint (at $5 or so for a ticket) is great. The Central ABL site this year is a massive improvement on what's been around in the past, but how many read it? Who gets told about the league?

Take away the imports of Rychart, Oakley and Cooper, and wouldn't the league be that much closer? That, in my opinion, is how you have to evaluate level of competition. Someone always has to be at the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #140936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All we need to do is work out a way of getting high priced players to all clubs. There are only two reasons for teams not getting big name players in this league, one is they have to contacts and 2 they can't afford it. Now I don't think either are a good enough excuses. If you are a poor club you need to get off your behinds and get sponsorship! all the poor clubs do is complain about other teams buying championships, and then conceeding saying its all too hard and too un fair without going out there and finding money to compete. And it is obvious to me that the cellar dwellar clubs that being South and Southern have very un experienced coaches who I believe wouldn't have any sort of real contacts in the game or the marketing capability to find and/or entice the big name players to their clubs, so agian this leads to them screaming that its too un fair and too hard with no solutions.

Reply #140942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, Basketball Drafter, I must apologise for my mocking of you earlier. Although it doesn't change my view of your idea, it was rude and uncalled for. You are a supporter of the league and that is all that matters. So sorry. You asked me to put forward my thoughts, well here they are. Please don't take offense to anything I have written, as with you, the health of basketball in the state is close to my heart and that's why I might get a little fiery at times.

The issue is money and media, plain and simple. This isn't the mid-nineties, where any game of basketball was a good game of basketball. The problem of small crowds permeates all levels of basketball in Australia today, and likewise the causes for the demise are the same. These have all been well document and need not be repeated now. The solutions however at a local club level are tricky. I've read back through Basketball Drafter's post and it appears like he has settled on this as being the main issue at hand: low crowd numbers at ABA games. The problem with ANY proposed solution, be them logical or not, lies 100% in the logistics. It's not a case of people throwing their hands up in the air and saying it's all too hard and I think it's insulting to even assume that. At this level of sport (and ABA doesn't even come close to ranking near SANFL) there is not enough (or any) financial reward available for enough people/players to contribute at the level necessary to carry out most ideas. You can say what you want about money not being the issue, that sponsorship can be drummed up, but who is going to sponsor a competition with such admittedly pitiful crowds? Who is going to take the time out of their personal lives to hunt down this sponsorship? I'm sure there are dozens of people at each club who would gladly put their hands up to donate more of their time, but again it comes back to practicality: jobs, kids, bills, time. Clubs already stretch their volunteers to the limits and to ask for more just wouldn't work.
I personally don't believe that a more even competition would do much for crowd numbers because you're not really improving the product that much. In reality, the product isn't ever going to be much better than it is now, so where do you go from here?

I believe that clubs are there first and foremost for the juniors. They play an integral role in the athletic, but more importantly, social development of children. The problem may manifest itself most obviously in an empty stadium on Saturday night, but that's where it ends, not where it begins. I believe the solution lies in dedicating the focus back onto the kids. The results will be two-fold, you will produce better players at all clubs and the community impact will in turn draw more people to the what is essentially the flagship product of each club, their ABA teams. More specifically, any extra money should go back to the junior programs and senior teams should do their best to be more involved in junior development (something as simple as chatting with the kids after an ABA game does wonders).
Replacing a system that is already stretched to its limits with another one that is so much more complicated (see Isaac's first response today, it was dead on) will only serve to harm the clubs and the league as a whole. It seems to me as though you are unable to defend your ideas and instead are resorting to calling everyone who tells you your idea is lame a "crap-slinger" or "knocker". The formula for getting more people out to games is the same as any successful business: have a good product and tell as many people as you can. You believe a player draft for disgruntled teenagers looking to switch clubs for zero financial reward will improve the product. I think improving the players as they come up through the system will. And as far as expanding the reach of the ABA outside the community of those who have either played, coached or parented it's no secret, the media needs to be involved. But where the improvement of the product comes from the bottom up, media involvement comes from the top down and I'm fresh out of idea for improving the NBL.

Reply #140961 | Report this post

hooray at last we have simple chatter on a subject....I appreciate your comments and they do make sense. Ok so the idea was a little far fetched maybe....I ws looking at the footy module and that turned around to the positive. Maybe radical is the way to go who knows. I like ideas and love putting them up. If everyone had ideas perhaps we wouldn't be in the position we are. Lets bury this subject now as we agree to disagree. I must say after your emaotional backlash you actually made sense good sense. Its a pity tbhis site doesn't have more positive people like you and some others....cheers and thanks. I won't go away though I may have other ideas to help or hinder....cheers

Reply #141125 | Report this post

shoota7  
Years ago

If you look at most clubs you will see that there are probably more than 10 players in the ABL squads to start with, they just don't suit up every ABL game, thats what reserves is all about. Juniors have to expect a few seasons in reserves at least before getting decent ABL minutes. I think the problem with juniors is that they all expect to be superstars NOW, and they aren't willing to put in the time, effort and commitment. It isn't like that in the real world. I can say from experience that the unhappy juniors I've come across are usually the ones who are used to being great in U18s or U20s. ABL is a whole different game kids. Juniors and their parents have to expect a few seasons on the bench, inconsistent (if any) minutes, tough coaching and a bit of tough love from senior players. You are fighting for spots now, you don't have a right to minutes. There is nothing stopping players from switching clubs, and plenty of coaches are headhunting every season. A draft won't help disgruntled players who don't get time. Only practice and skills will do that.

Reply #141379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754