DB5
Years ago

'shard Lewis a Magic Man!

Rashard Lewis has given the Orlando Magic a verbal commitment to leave the Seattle SuperSonics and sign a max contract on July 11, according to NBA front-office sources.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2924228

Personally I didn't think he would leave Seattle after they picked up Durant and Green.
Gives Orlando a pretty good nucleus of
D.Howard
C.Arroyo
G.Hill
K.Dooling
J.Nelson
JJ.Reddick

Will have to drop Darko to fit him in though...
Bulls maybe for Darko?
A

Topic #12049 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

Draco, Wallace, Thomas, Noah, Hinrich, Deng, Nocioni, Gordon

That's a good team!

Magic really needs one more star...

Reply #140659 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hill seems to be heading to the Suns. And I swear I read that the Magic were very keen to retain Darko?

Reply #140663 | Report this post

Yes, but now the magic can't afford another star. Bad signing.

Reply #140665 | Report this post

I heard darko wants $10 mil. Which he'll probably get, because he's a big. There's no way Orlando will offer him that much

Reply #140667 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Orlando cannot afford him and Rashard, Darko is talented, but is he worth that much?
He was a number 3 or 4 pick wasn't he?
Hill is keen on Phoenix or Spurs, (who wouldn't be, with the luck he has had!) but up in the air at the moment..

Reply #140676 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I have heard that Hill will return to the Magic....

Reply #140682 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

cant sign another star...? what elg? since when do teams sign stars in free agency...and lewis is a star..who else could they have gotten - how is this a bad signing?

Reply #140686 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think he means now they will have no cap room to sign even a mid level contract.
Shard is a good signing, need a couple of their young guys to come through now...

Reply #140699 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm happy as this takes the Magic out of the Wallace game.

Good signing....

Reply #140702 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

not happy at all. theres no way a bunch of rookies get it done next season for Seatown.

Reply #140703 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Apparently the Magic didnt call Darko's agent when the free agent period began so im not too sure about his return.

Reply #140742 | Report this post

What i mean is, they're still a 40 win team with no cap room. Dwights just signed a $18m contract and now Lewis is on $15m a year as well.

Reply #140777 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Magic have renounced Darko making him a unrestricted free agent.

Only 3 teams (Bucks, Cats and Memphis) can offer the $$$ Darko is thinking about (around 8-10 mill). Orlando can't resign him using the MLE as they renounced that to use the cap space to sign Shard.

It has turned into a battle of words with Cornstein (darko's agent) calling the Magic a bunch of liar and calls out Otis Smith as the biggest liar.

End of the day, if Darko wants to play in the NBA then he'll be playing for MLE money ($6 mill per year) unless the Cats, Bucks or Griz pay more, but he'll have his choice of where he wants to play.

Reply #140803 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Doesn't anyone think that Rashard was overpaid?? They gave him max cash, is he really a max player? I would say no.

He only peaked in numbers last season as it was a contract year and no one else cared on the Sonics as they were out of the playoffs.

There aren't actually that many teams with the cap room to sign Darko at 10 mil. Only like 4 or something can sign him at that. And would you want to wax your free agent cash on Darko? Nope... So I think a possibility it could be more like 7 mil. But you never know, these days 7 footer equals big cash... Like Nene....

Reply #140840 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Lewis has improved his numbers just about every year - so your point of him peaking in a contract year doesn't float.

He is a 'quiet' get the job done player so will never get the recognition of a superstar - but he has developed into something damn close. I watched quite a few Sonics games last season, and lost count of the amount of times he totally dominated the game in the last 1/4 - inside and out.

He's no Lebron, Kobe or Duncan but he is definitely 2nd tier with players like Marion, J.Johnson, Redd, Bosh etc. That is worthy of a max contract these days.

Reply #140843 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think it was a bit of a reach and the 2008 FA class has the potential to be absolutely loaded. Shard isn't going to put them over the top, but they may make the second round.

Some names that could become free agents include:

Josh Smith
Al Jefferson
Okafor (he better bloody not, MJ getter get it done)
Luol Deng
Ben Gordon
Baron Davis
Jermaine O'Neal
Elton Brand (ETO)
Corey Maggette
Kevin Garnett (ETO)
Andrew Iguodala
Shawn Marion (ETO)
Kevin Martin
Ron Artest (ETO)
Tim Duncan (ETO)
Gilbert Arenas (ETO)
Antawn Jamieson

Some are still on rookie contracts and will be extended, but there are some very nice players that could come out.

Reply #140854 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Andrew Iguodala........ retard.....

I'll try again, Andre Iguodala

Reply #140855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754