Anon
Years ago

Under 16 Metro Boys @ Nationals

I have heard the metro team have run into strife with controvesy surrounding a player disqualification and coach report after their loss to Victoria.....this apparently was following some incident regarding a parent of the girls metro team throwing a thong (not the lingerie sort) at a referee. Anyone got any details of whats going on?

Topic #12058 | Report this topic

hawthorn by 9  
Years ago

thongs going off not going on

Reply #140740 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

somethong is wrong - nothing wthong is there

Reply #140753 | Report this post

IamIsaid  
Years ago

Associate thongs with country parents don't we, especially in winter?

Reply #140754 | Report this post

Camel46  
Years ago

Hear that an SA ref got something extremely wrong. Cost the team the game, and then proceeded to laugh about it with the opposition!

Reply #140770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Camel46 that sound's believable.

A referee at a National Junior Championships would clearly behave like that.

Translation: SA Metro Parent/Coach/Player told me ....

Reply #140771 | Report this post

Camel46  
Years ago

Apparently is all on video.

Reply #140775 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

"apparentlyl"

Reply #140776 | Report this post

IamIsaid  
Years ago

Apparently two thongs don't make it right

Reply #140782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not a love thong....

Reply #140788 | Report this post

jhfjhbdfgb  
Years ago

Player received 1 game suspension.

Reply #140789 | Report this post

Hoop Dreams  
Years ago

what about coach Flynn what did he cop?

Reply #140792 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Coach Flynn didn't get suspended. Not sure if he got off his charge or received a reprimand.

The boys have a big game tonight vs NSW Metro, so let's hope they manage to pull off a win.

Reply #140809 | Report this post

Screwed Over  
Years ago

Thrown out. Player's charge should have been thrown out too. Ref grabs a player and then is surprised when said player reacts. Refs make a shocking game deciding call then compound the error in the worst possible way. Coach was very restrained under the circumstances. I'm sure the evaluators told the refs they did a fantastic job :(

Reply #140820 | Report this post

Basket 85  
Years ago

I'm sure the evaluators told the refs they did a fantastic job :(

Why are you sure?

I've spoken to evaluators at many tournaments and haven't come across one that wasn't completly honest with their feedback. The evalutors get that position because not only are/were they more than competant refs, but decent people with a good head on their shoulders. They are there to help the ref's develop, and some ref's do need alot of development (more so in the attitude and communication dept than understanding of the rules).

Good luck to the lads tonight though.

Reply #140836 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

any chance the incident being posted on youtube for us all to see?

Reply #140839 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Doesn't matter - cannot change what has happened believe they should not have been in that position to blame ref anyway - lose to NSW metro and bottom of top 8 playoff - disappointing with the so called talent they have. Good luck tonite.

The coach creates the culture. From what I've seen this week it is an ugly culture.

Reply #140841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder wtf The Emperor said to the team and to Darth behind clsoed doors. I felt a strong change in the Force.

Reply #140848 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

My read is that the boys have their fate totally in there own hands.
Correct me if I am wrong...but if they beat WA metro by 6pts they win the 3 way tie between Wam, Vic C and themselves and are through to the top 4!!
Any comments prior to this game re this team are premature and silly.

Aussie champs are a marathon and all is forgiven if they take care of business tomorrow IMO.

Reply #140860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if as expected they don't get thru to the finals then they can ...1-2-3-4

fling, fling a thong, fling it loud, fling it long, fling only good things not bad, fling of happy not sad ....

with apologies to Karen Carpenter

Reply #140872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or the JOK classic ...

Well I can't do nothin' with the blues I got
But fling, fling, fling
I guess the only thing to keep me from-a blowing my top
Is to fling, fling, fling!

Reply #140873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as far as im concered SA metro has given SA a bad name. No matter how bad refs are you guys are at a national basketball tournamment and should of showed a bit of respect

Thats for making SA proud

Reply #140878 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Talk of this group giving SA a bad name is misguided, IMO.

Let's keep this thread to the facts, which have already been stated.

Re Dr Damage's comments, it appears WA Metro's win over Vic C has given SAM a sniff at top 4 still.

By my calculations, a 6 point or more win from SAM should get them through on points split. Vic Country can't get through on a tiebreaker (as they've played their games vs SAM & WAM & have a negative split), so it's basically WAM vs SAM with WAM getting a 5 point start.

Good luck to the boys this afternoon.

Reply #140881 | Report this post

buddyboy  
Years ago

SA metro boys cant finish in the top 4 as they have lost to both NWS metro and Vic country. The only thing that wil happen if they win today is to deny WA metro a top 4 spot, as they have beaten vic country

Reply #140915 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Buddyboy - I was just about to come here and edit my post :).

You're correct, they can't come top 4, and today's game will only determine if they finish 3rd or 4th in their pool (and whether WA Metro or Vic Country make top 4).

I swear when I looked at the ladder before it had NSW Metro as being undefeated. Dr D, was it the same for you?

Reply #140918 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

FWIW - the SA Metro boys did get the win today. Final U16 boys scenario is:

Pool B Standings will be:
1 - Vic Country
2 - NSW Metro
3 - SA Metro
4 - WA Metro

Pool A will depend on the Vic Metro vs Qld South result, but if Vic Metro win as expected, they'll go through top & cross over with NSW Country, while Tassie will finish 2nd & play Vic Country.

SA Metro will play NSW Country & Qld South will face WA Metro.

The Country girls missed their chance of making top 4, losing to Vic Metro by 4 after seemingly leading most of the game. They'd have had to win by a fair bit to cover the margin, anyways. Both girls teams will play in the 5-8 bracket.

If Vic Country wins their match vs NSW Metro tonight, both the SA girls teams will finish 3rd in their pool, if NSW Metro wins, then the Metro girls will finish 4th & face SA Country in the cross-over.

Reply #140944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take heart that SAM had the best pure shooter in the tournament. It will be up to the post-mortem to discover why SAM had more players in top 10 stats than VICM but failed to make finals, again. Clearly teamwork is an issue and this comes back to coaching. Blaming it on depth is a cop-out ... VICM has more depth, sure bt that just means they could have sent three teams, pretty much as strong as the other. Remember VICM players only come from three clubs, one of whom did not even play in the Classic.

Reply #140948 | Report this post

anon 948,
Couldn't agree more but what do you suggest as alternatives to make your point. Which if any coaches would get more out of the kids?
What was missing that needed to be added or deleted?
Is there more to coaching than pure basketball knowledge? Have any of the coaches any motivational ability?
If Smyth had to take a sabbatical to reskill maybe our coaches have been looking for answers in the wrong places.
There are lots of anomalies in selections that are puzzling. The boys had dramas from the start but can you blame the coach alone?
Take the metro girls who were supposed to have had the best chance for gold or silver. The coach put all his eggs in one basket with all second years and came up short. Who ever coaches next year will struggle because there is either no talent pool or
he failed to blood some talented kids for experience.'
It seems no one is accountable for mediocre results and selections and most are satisfied with, 'the kids aren't good enough' appraisal, when it just might be the coaches, in some cases, who fail the kids.

Reply #140958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a first step, why not look to players and coaches who are able to get the team first concept going. VICM has proved you don't need individual superstars to do well. In fact the team selection was roundly criticised in VIC for many positions. But at the end of the day, you have a coach (who was also subject to a lot of criticism) who had success coaching this age group at Bulleen so knew the psyche of 14/15 year old boys pretty well.

Reply #140999 | Report this post

interstater  
Years ago

You do not have to be Einstein to see that unless you change the people running the game in your state nothing will change.

Little Hitler dictates who coaches and who that coach then picks. He has some stupid mentatlity that unless a kid can be at training 5 times a week he or she is not committed - what crap. We look at your kids this week and see some very tired boys who have been literally flogged since the end of Jan 07.

Why you did not pick some kids is beyond our comprehension when they are quite clearly better than what you put on the floor.

Quite simply they are a selfish group and that is from coach down and the attitude on the floor portrays that. It is almost a small fishbowl syndrome - The way your guys do not develop from 14 nationals to 16 state and the subsequent drop out rate should send alarm bells ringing.

Who puts the idea in their head that they are better than they are ?

You can clearly see that your coaches do not have the necessary maturity when it comes to people and man managment skills at this level. Perhaps because those they have learnt from do not possess any.

Reply #141042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Enjoying Adelaide while you're here then?

Reply #141043 | Report this post

jhfjhbdfgb  
Years ago

Interstater just got caught as a player's parent in SA. You almost got past the ever seeing eye.

Did your son not make it.

Boo Hoo

Reply #141046 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

He is right though!!

Reply #141059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dead right

Reply #141069 | Report this post

Some1  
Years ago

"interstater" if you think these kids are getting burnt out with over training try doing some research on the workload of athletes internationally at this age (14 - 17). Find out about the training US H.S kids do or those involved in Euro accademies. B4 you pull out the level of workload of Aussie rules footballers remember that sports like basketball and soccer are skills based sports.

There is significant time required to develop and hone skill of elite players. Footy players may only play 9 mths of the yr but I can guarantee you those that are elite players are working on the physical development in the other 3 mths.

Reply #141082 | Report this post

interstater  
Years ago

Think about it you SA guys. Is it holidays in Vic at the moment - Have been in Gosford until late yesterday. Yes I used to live in SA - 11 years ago - and my son is playing at the moment in the Vic team. I have a mother I care for and visit here regularly. Put up or shut up.

Start taking note of what other people say or stay in your fish bowl and keep complaining.

Reply #141117 | Report this post

a  
Years ago

my ass mate we know ur an SA person

Reply #141119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some1 refers to research about what is happening in the US in relation to limits on hours. It's usual to have limitations on the hours of practice and contests and when these may take place in a defined season. Tournaments usually count as one contest otherwise a contest is a game. Usually players can participate in max of three tournaments. The NCAA limits practice and contests to 20 hours per week during the pre-season and season proper. Several state bodies such as IHSA, UHSAA and KHSA either have or are looking at imposing similar limitations.

Reply #141139 | Report this post

Some1  
Years ago

We are talking HS age athletes and I doubt many of our kids spend more than 20 hours per week in organised elite (State/SASI/District) training.

Reply #141141 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Does anyone know who won the 16 girls final country v metro?

Reply #141142 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Metro won the girls game, narrowly.

Reply #141146 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Yes HA the web site was wrong on thurs night.

Reply #141148 | Report this post

Giraffe90  
Years ago

And thanks to SAM knocking over WAM, VICC play out the GF against VICM. Unfortunately VICC are likely to lose by 20+ but SAM is still a winner as it gets to play for 5/6 while WAM, who otherwise would have been going for 3/4 now finish 7th at best.

Reply #141150 | Report this post

Camel14  
Years ago

A suggestion for future nationals ... why not have WAC, SAC, NT and ACT have a pre-qualifier with top 2 to receive an invite to tournament. Makes the draw better as each team then plays two finals rounds.

Reply #141151 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Its a very long week and a couple of easier games are good to play the lesser players ...who pay the same money as everyone else.

Also there is a jewel in all of the lesser teams each year, those players...usually regional, get to dance on the big stage. Many of our Opals and Boomers came from regional centres so it is easily justifies IMO.

Reply #141152 | Report this post

interstater  
Years ago

Here you go again looking to justify underachievement - don't you just love it, at least WAM is playing for 7th - woopeee do.

Reply #141157 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

The U16 boys haven't underachieved at all. Didn't they finish 5th? This is about their level, some of you just think they are better than they are.

Reply #141159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Liam Flynn get suspended previously before in Adelaide after abusing two referees on a Friday night at Pasadena after a game?

Reply #141164 | Report this post

Camel14  
Years ago

tk, playing QSth to determine 5th/6th. Game still only late in the third quarter so still time til final placings known.

Reply #141166 | Report this post

victor man  
Years ago

TK good point.

You hit the nail on the head. People do think this group is better than they are. 2 (1 big, 1 small)stand outs and the rest are pretty even bunch.Not well coached , the worry is this guy is going on board with the 6 ers.

Reply #141191 | Report this post

jacko  
Years ago

(Mod: Read the Forum Guidelines...)

Reply #141312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754