Isaac
Years ago

Katie Langford signed by Fire

Spotted this on WNBL.com.au:

The SeaFM Townsville Fire have announced the signing of their ninth rostered player for the 2007/08 defencejobs WNBL season with the recruitment of Katie Langford from Oral Roberts University

Langford, the older sister of AIS scholarship holder Emma, will head to Townsville in early August from her native South Australia after spending four years with Oral Roberts playing in the NCAA Division 1, Mid Continent Conference.
Read more

Topic #12088 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Based on that first name, I've always wondered who this Oral Roberts character was.

And thanks to Wikipedia, I've found out: link.

Granville Oral Roberts (born January 24, 1918) is an American neo-Pentecostal televangelist. He is also a leader in the charismatic movement and a former faith healer.

Reply #141062 | Report this post

Bob Knight's a/c  
Years ago

Once again Bo, you've outdone yourself. Trolling through the wondorous WWW you have discovered the answer, to what i'm sure, many of us were wondering.

I hear in San Fran they have a school called A.N.A.S Tech.

Reply #141086 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Without besmirching the university or Langford, there's some pretty interesting stuff in that Wikipedia article:

In 1977 Roberts claimed to have a vision from a 900-foot-tall Jesus who told him to build City of Faith Medical and Research Center and the hospital would be a success.

In 1983 Roberts said Jesus had appeared to him in person and commissioned him to find a cure for cancer.

In 1987, during a fund raising drive, Roberts announced to a television audience that unless he raised $8 million by that March, God would "call him home" (a euphemism for death). Some were fearful that he was referring to suicide given the passionate pleas and tear that accompanied his statement. He raised $9.1 million.

You know what? I read all this stuff, and I think even Oral couldn't save the Singapore Slingers.

Reply #141096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

People are idiots. Though, they could've got that 900' Jebus to play in the paint for their college team. Until he came up against the Flying Spaghetti Monster who would lead the league in steals and blocks courtesy of his noodly appendage.

Since you mentioned it, there's talk of the Slingers hibernating for a season I think. Not sure of what that might do for the schedule - byes at professional level?!

Reply #141099 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Noodly appendage?

Reply #141101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you aren't up with the Flying Spaghetti Monster and all Pastafarians, you've got some reading to do. May you be touched by his noodly appendage.

Reply #141103 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Nope, not up with that. Much more up with the salacious double entendres one could derive from 'noodly appendage'.

Another thing I'd be up with, too, is a new NCAA conference: the Televangelist Conference.

You'd have Oral Roberts University, plus Jimmy Swaggart University, Jim Bakker University, Benny Hinn University and Robert H. Schuller University. Judging from what I've read, I think Americans would pay good money to watch those games.

Reply #141106 | Report this post

russell coight  
Years ago

yes we had some classic threads re the "oral university"

Reply #141223 | Report this post

viveca kimble  
Years ago

i wanted to get info on how to get into the wnbl.

Reply #239097 | Report this post

viveca kimble  
Years ago

i wanted to get info on how to get into the wnbl.

Reply #239099 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754