coach
Years ago

Trainee Refs

I'm wondering what happens to trainee refs that don't become competent enough to become a fully fledged ref? Credit to them for trying, but surely if they're not competent they shouldn't be left making major mistakes during matches forever. Do they just stay trainees forever, or does someone eventually say 'thanks but no thanks'?

Topic #12094 | Report this topic

skud  
Years ago

I think they move them down to Marion stadium, cause those guys have NO IDEA.

Reply #141168 | Report this post

mmmmm  
Years ago

Or Morpheet VAle or Hillcrest!!

Reply #141184 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

It is not about just turning up for a match and getting paid for it. Eventually ( or even in a reasonably short time) junior refs realise it is about communication, education and split second decision making, not forgetting often having to deal with obnoxious or overpowering coaches/team managers. I would think without Performance Development there would be some form of self realisation that they can not cut it and leave for bigger money or other persuits. I think it would be quite reasonable for the referee coaches to appropriately counsel some non-performing or timid referres that they may want to persue other options, but stress it would have to be done appropriately with self esteem intact.!!.

Reply #141186 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

I totally agree with you glen. That's why I thought I'd put it out there, because if trainees are not progressing, it not only disadvantages the players and others involved that they are umpiring, but putting themselves in the position of copping a lot of criticism for something that will not improve!! I'm not trying to can the trainees because a lot are doing well and show improvement, but I think that if it is obvious that they cannot handle the responsibility, they shouldn't be able to continue after a certain point

Reply #141187 | Report this post

Gravity man  
Years ago

If the trainees are not performing,they are just there to cover the courts,lot of green shirts are not confident,reason being they get abused by coaches and spectators alike,BASA has told UIC to use more trainees as the pay is crap,they dont now that they are taken for a ride,just some pocket money for them,bring back some senior referees who used to do saturday mornings,rarely see a senior referee out there these days to develop these green shirts.

Reply #141196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754