123abc
Years ago

36ers pre-season begins

The Adelaide 36ers have officially begun their pre-season following a team meeting at the Distinctive Homes Dome.

The next four weeks will be spent developing a fitness base before heading onto the court for official team training and to prepare for their first NBL regular season game of 2007/08 on September 21st against Wollongong at home.

more

Topic #12124 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The group will consist of the current contracted players, as well as invited local league players, all vying for a development or training spot with the team for the coming season.
Invitees:

Daniel Lalic (Southern)
Brad Gerlach (Southern)
Josh Wood (Southern)
Shane Breheny (Eastern)
Ben Madgen (Eastern)
Erik Burdon (North)
Max Papendieck (Norwood)
Sam Grantham (Norwood)
Chris Clausen (Centrals)

Reply #141481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the ..??

Papendiek and Grantham ?? Is this Sapwell's influence or Phil and Steve's solution to keeping an eye on college players (no matter how good they are or what league they play - "Wow, you go to college - you should train with the Sixers!)

Breheny ?? OK, he is doing well in ABA, but on a team that is last. He is effectively a 6-5 centre and is no chance at NBL level. I would put Lalic in a similar category (and his ABA form isn't even that great)

I can think of quite a few young ABA players that would appear to have more NBL potential than a lot of those guys.

Reply #141483 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

too right.. Scans snubbed again, Tom Mckenzie? Fildes? Spud? etc etc

Reply #141484 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I can understand snubbing a Scalon or Matthews (who are 26/27), but there's definitely better talent in our local league than some of the guys being invited to train.

People seem to vastly over-value guys who have gone off to play college ball. Maybe it's the "mystery factor" - IE the coaches are curious to find out if (or how much) these kids have improved in their time away, as compared to the "known quantities" playing in our local league.

But, to me, there definitely seems to be some better kids going around who didn't get a look in.

Reply #141486 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

Daniel Lalic (Southern) - Should not be there
Brad Gerlach (Southern) - stay healthy
Josh Wood (Southern) - Good Choice
Shane Breheny (Eastern) - Should not be there
Ben Madgen (Eastern) - Good Choice
Erik Burdon (North) - Good Choice
Max Papendieck (Norwood) - NOPE
Sam Grantham (Norwood) - NOPE
Chris Clausen (Centrals) - Good Choice

Add in

Brenton Campbell (Forestville) I know he is small but the guy can shoot the lights out.
Tom Rowe (North) ?? Questionable but I chose him based on the fact he can flat out defend.
Michael Zorich (North) Dragons??
Thomas McKenzie (South) Athletic and Strong.
Luke Mapunda (Woodville) A smaller poor mans Ingles

Reply #141487 | Report this post

Ridiculous  
Years ago

Sapwell is always looking after number 1!

Reply #141489 | Report this post

Years ago

I can just imagine the conversation between Phil and Steve:

Phil: Well Steve, its time to get our training squad together again. I haven't had a chance to get out to any ABA games again this year, how about you?
Steve: Actually I've seen quite a lot of the Eastern games. My lad is ripping it up - averaging a double-double even.
P: Well bloody hell, get him out here then. And that kid with the last some that sounds like a flower, tulip, daisy, no wait - Lilac. He didn't do too bad out here last time. No idea what he has done this year but oh well.
S: Yep OK, I'll put him on the list too. How about some college players?
P: Yeah, I was thinking we should keep an eye on the college players this year. i don't know any though do you?
S: Nope
P: Maybe we'll ask Rupert? Hey Sapper, know any college players?
R: Actually I know a couple quality ones. They've been doing great in the NAIA Div VIII league. I'll get them out.
P: Great, good job Sapper, I knew you'd come in handy for something. That'll about do it, just fill it up with a couple of the kids we've had out the last couple of years - that way it shouldn't take me too long to remember their names. Righto chaps, let me know in a couple of weeks how pre season training is going. I gotta go and meet Jars to work on our new flooding defence we'll be running this year.

Reply #141492 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Hoop Addict, can I ask why age really has anything to do with it???If your looking at filling the 12th spot on the team shouldn't you be looking at the best player for the job? I know it is a development role, but we shouldn't be limiting ourselves to someone who may only contribute 3 or 4 years down the track.
I don't actually mind the group that they picked. Look at some deficiencies in the team and then insert someone in that position. I seriously don't think we need another guard, when we have Maher, Sutton, Davidson and Ng and then potentially Newley! Why not look at someone who can perhaps play the 3 spot, like Josh Wood, Shane Breheny, Chris Clausen or someone like Tom McKenzie, Hambour (I can't believe I just typed that) or Molitor.

Reply #141498 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Panther - would you be expecting a Scanlon or Matthews to be able to contribute significantly to the team at NBL level? Or a Jye Watson type, for that matter?

IMO, no. As you say, they'd be in an 11th or 12th man type role. Put a Matt Sutton (early 20's) kid in that role (as per last year) and maybe he'll take his chances (as Sutton did last year). He might turn out to be a long term NBL player, a guy who is still improving & can develop into a contributor at NBL level.

Scanlon & Matthews both have deficiencies in their games that IMO would be exposed at NBL level. At this point in their career, I don't see them being able to adequately cover their deficiencies to make them worthy of NBL consideration. A 20 or 21 year old you might say "give them a year or two & they'll have that fixed", but perhaps not a 26 or 27 year old.

That's my thought on it, anyways - other may see it differently.

Reply #141499 | Report this post

Claude  
Years ago

I cant believe Chris Molitor is not included. He is a about 6'7" and plays the small forward spot, he is a smart player who shoots the 3 well. Especially after watching him outplay Kane Oakley this past weekend. Plus he is still 18.

Reply #141502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised there's no old guys in that "invited" list to join Copeland!

But I give them credit tho for not including Nash!

Reply #141503 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would've given Mapunda and Molitor a shot. Surely there is a reason that Molitor has been overlooked? He had 21 and 13 on the weekend against Forestville and at least has NBL SF height.

Reply #141504 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think Matthews could almost start at NBL level. IMO

And what are the deficiencies in Scans game you talk of Hoop Addict?

As for Tom Rowe being a good defender, I've seen him play only once this year, but he got absolutely torn to pieces by Scott Arnold.. he looked like an amateur defending him. I'm not sure how accurate that statement is?

Reply #141506 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

To be honest Hoop Addict, although I brought up your Age descrepancy, I never stated that they should look at Scanlon or Matthews in my statement.
Reason being is because they already have too many guards!!!If Ng and Sutton or Davidson weren't playing then I would probably recommend them, but they need a 3 man, and the players with the most potential in that spot right at this point are Molitor and probably Clausen.

Reply #141509 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

lockstock

you have seen him play once where he got torn up. Does that mean that he is a bad defender or got beaten on that night??

Tom Rowe has made state teams throughout his career because he can defend.

Reply #141510 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

That's why I asked and put a condition on my assessment. I just think he looked really bad that night.. really bad

Reply #141514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spudavecchia not included? wats goin on hed be on of the favourites for the u21 medal, he's awesome sure we have enough guards in the squad but at least a training spot

Reply #141516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Squad is an absolute %$#@ing joke.

Reply #141518 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Re Scanlon - I think he's just a gunner. He scores in bunches for South because they have a dearth of scorers available, and he can get hot in a hurry. Put an Erik Burdon in that situation and IMO I think he'd put up similar, if not better, stats than Scanlon. He works hard defensively & is reasonable off ball scragging other guards, but I don't think he's a particularly good on ball defender. Plus, I think he'd struggle to be able to get decent shot off at NBL level. Again, all just my opinion!

Reply #141521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spud is gun he should be in there with the numbers he is producing in the ABL

Reply #141523 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

fair enough Hoop Addict.. I think there are a number of things that get missed in Scans game that you won't realise unless you've played with him, in particular

he is an excellent defender (on ball included) - his anticipation is awesome, and he would draw at least 1 charge per game
he moves off the ball in offense so well, one of the best I have played with
he is super fit

I really think if he got a chance to be in a gun team rather than the man on a team, he would be an even better player than what he is now at South IMO

Reply #141524 | Report this post

NABC  
Years ago

Eric Burdon is averaging great numbers this year and very consistant. 20 ppg with Zorrich, Kersten, Hambour and Rychart thats pretty good... His game has improved and is more all around...

Reply #141525 | Report this post

tool  
Years ago

Matthews is a player and would be a valued addition to any teams point rotation! He's a proven winner. These so called deficencies would only be his age and height... right? Well shit, he's quicker than any kid in the league right now, and by a long shot! Not to mention he is extremely strong for a point, plus is 26 really that old???

You cant fault the kids they have out there either. Who cares where they play, or what conference, thats arbitrary. There not going to play right now, but if they can bring something to the trainings, and have potential, then let them go for it!!!

And of course there are always going to be players left out who could very well make some noise at these things. But thats life and they can use that as motivation to become better/prove people wrong!

And finally Scannlon???....well if your truly serious this name couldnt be mentioned. The guy can shoot but he shoots in volumes, and his teams are constantly losing, despite supposedly being laced with excellent young players!! Not a good choice.

Good luck to the sixers and all those gettintg a shot this year!

Reply #141531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mapunda is an obvious choice. Young, Athletic, can shoot, has a good reach...he is probably 6'4, I bet he has the arm span of about 6'7,6'8. Also left handed...could get to be as good as Ingles I beleive and I don't even like the guy but he should get a shot

Reply #141533 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

What about Marcus Ng? Wasnt he in the development/training squad last year? And this year he has been Sturts best performer. Other commitments?

Reply #141545 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

lockstock, you've seen Tome Rowe about 16 times too few this season to form an opinion on his game. Also has anybody stopped to think that these ABA players at their respective ages, may either be working or studying full time? Perhaps that's why many of these who should have been invited, were not. Its not just a case of getting the right players, its also getting available players.

Reply #141548 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Besides being the quickest and strongest guard in the league T Matthews has competitive desire , smarts and super mental toughness .
If a guard goes down with injury during the season he could definitely contribute straight off the bat , i believe he would surprise a few , but not himself .

Reply #141549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Ng should be in the squad ahead of all those guys + Copeland.

Reply #141556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

".....all vying for a development or training spot with the team for the coming season....."

really when going back to college in the next month???!!!! (Wood, Pap, Gran, Mad, Claus?) or is Phil Saying the 36rs season ends at the end of August?

Thawt Howard & Rudd had the spin doctors.

Reply #141557 | Report this post

LJ E3  
Years ago

Fildes is going to USA

Reply #141558 | Report this post

relax  
Years ago

I don't know why everyone keeps saying NAIA is so bad. Guys like Mike Kelly played naia, and even Scottie Pippen played naia. Todd Matthews even played naia div 2 and he turned out alright! Mioght I add, Max and Sam are playing div 1.
Also, YES, Phil is looking at these guys for the future.. Not the short term future (this season) the long term future (3 years when they finish college), so just relax! I bet we'll see most of these guys playing NBL when they return from college.

Reply #141559 | Report this post

Years ago

Grantham maybe, Papendiek no, not the sharpest tool in the shed and has hurt him all through juniors because of it.
Lets face it though these guys are out there for 1 reason and one reason only and thats because it got out how Phil didnt know who Kersten was, so to fix it he has now got college kids around him to fix that issue...a smart move!
I did hear though at their scrimmages today Sapwell and Smyth played because of lack of numbers....it baffels me as to why you wouldnt invite the next tier of ABL players out??? surely this would be better than the coaching staff who should actually be doing some coaching...just my opinion!

Reply #141560 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

So 23 you say there was scrimmages yet it says the next four weeks will be developing their fitness then onto the court after that - perhaps you are just trying to beat up on the coaches and making things up???

Reply #141583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They are scrimmaging twice a week apparently. Oscar was out with them yesterday and I believe Dusty might've been too. Sappa and Smyth were playing to make up numbers (Maher didn't train and Ng was only shooting I think) - he said they had about 16 all up playing.

Reply #141604 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Anyboby know if any approach was made to Fildes, Molitor, McKenzie and Rowe?

Reply #141622 | Report this post

Year of the Brave  
Years ago

Not too sure Sween, but I know Molitor and Rowe do not have full time study commitments or full time employment. I doubt an offer to be apart of the group would have been rejected by these two???

The only reason I can think of is that Smyth wants to get a look at the guys going over to college. Most of the guys playing ABL will be available for a closer look as they will be apart of the Academy...

Still, I can't see why some of the guys would not be asked to particiapte in team scrimmmages, especially if Phil is having to help out!

Reply #141626 | Report this post

Dennis Denuto  
Years ago

Spadavecchia not included in that group is a joke......enough said.

If the Academy MVP doesn't get a look in, then why have the Academy?

Reply #141643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Thompson was asked to train also!

Reply #141720 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

(#141492) Bloody Hell, Is that you Phil?

Reply #141733 | Report this post

Phil has no idea!  
Years ago

No Forestville players! Would take Hoban over Breheny and Lalic any day. His stats are not as good but its pretty obvious why. i would like to see Breheny and Lalic's stats if they played for Forestville. Breheny would not even get on the court! Hoban is taller and stronger than both these guys.

You would think that Phil would want to look at Fildes and Wornham before they go over to college so they can see if or how much they improve each time they return. How hard is it to start forming relationships with these types of blokes who after finishing their college careers could be well sought after by other NBL clubs. Here is a chance for Phil to be pro active and show that he cares about the future of sa basketball and he just goes ahead and proves that he doesn't give a stuff!

Reply #141735 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Phil's job isn't about caring about the future of SA basketball. It's to win the Adelaide 36ers a championship.

Reply #141823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good point, though I think the two are somewhat related.

Reply #141830 | Report this post

Good point  
Years ago

Phil has no idea, I dont agree with you. However, its probably the self serving sapwell influence!! I hope he gets a head coaching job elsewhere in the NBL...AND FAST!!!!

Reply #141835 | Report this post

Good point  
Years ago

Woops Phil has no idea I meant to say that I do agree with you!

Reply #141836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom McKenzie? Are you serious? I know there's a lot of average players who have come out to train but T-Mac is a poor man's poor man.
End of story.

Reply #141876 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

R U serious? Breheny, Wood and the two from Norwood are Poor Men. TMak can ball. End of story!

Reply #141877 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

6 foot 6, young, atthletic, great back to the basket game and can shoot the 3? You have to be kidding 141876

Reply #141883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea the South players love to defend other South players on here.
Put T-Mac on a Norwood, North or Forestville ABA team and he wouldnt pick up anywhere near the numbers he does for South, there's no arguing there.
Put T-Mac on the 36ers team and... you get my drift.
I'm not a hater, like I said there's plenty of other players training who shouldnt be. Maybe 'class' in the ABL but the sixers are playing in the NBL. Time everyone starts to wake up

Reply #141903 | Report this post

Andy Millman  
Years ago

i would say he would actually put up better numbers. having more offensive threats on a team creates more opportunities for everyone to score as the defense is stretched majority of the time. you obviuosly know all this though anon 141903 due to your wealth of basketball knowledge. Ninnis Has to put Tom Mckenzie in the academy squad, he is only twenty and if he rides him he will be at worst a good nbl player, he has all the attributes just needs a push.

Reply #142565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754