Isaac
Years ago

NBL rule stops Hawks from signing Rigby

A new NBL rule that clubs have to sign at least one Australian-born player aged 18-22 is stopping the Wollongong Hawks from signing Cam Rigby (ex-Razorbacks).

Wollongong coach Eric Cooks said the new rule had not been well received by teams.

"The coaches and people I've spoken to are not too happy about it and I'm not sure if the league has thought it through properly," Cooks said.

"I'm not sure if maybe they'll show some leniency or flexibility with it, but it's certainly a situation which could ruin our chances of signing Cam."
Now, this rule can be met by an 11th man, but they still have to be paid the NBL minimum and the Hawks don't reckon they can cover that, Rigby and an import to come.

They've got a lot of guys aged 23-25 that fall just outside the ruling.

Have to wonder if they shouldn't have thought of this before, or just find someone cheaper than Rigby?

Still, bit tough on a club that has one leg in the grave.

Topic #12126 | Report this topic

Ak-47  
Years ago

I had never heard anything of the rule until then. Interesting.

Reply #141540 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Thats because is a new rule.

Reply #141564 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Sign or have on the team?

Reply #141593 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Blessing really. I don't think Rigby should be in the NBL.

Reply #141641 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

I agree Paul, better off having an Australain 18-22 in the team anyway. Good rule.

Reply #141670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the Hawks care when unfair rulings stopped the 6ers from signing players?

I call this ......Karma

Reply #141674 | Report this post

Johno  
Years ago

Well apprenty rigby is now considering the hawks offer he has a couple of days to decide

Reply #142756 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754