Yi Jianlian's Chinese team to block his move

The Milwaukee Bucks ' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.
Chinese Club Will Block Yi's Move To Milwaukee

Same story on ESPN:
"The national team and the Olympic Games are now our key considerations ... If [Yi] goes to a team where he can't compete, that would be being irresponsible to the national team," Chen said.
ESPN story

does this annoy you. Personally i hope milwaukee dont trade him and let him rot in the chinese league

Topic #12193 | Report this topic

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

More ###p from his enterage (sp.) - It's getting more and more clear that this is more than just the agents and CBA - the Commies are pulling the strings... Yet morons in a free country still run around in Che shirts, chairman Mao caps and join "Reistance"... Will people never learn??? - bad luck for the Bucks... I hope (on principle) that Yi really does end up being the next Skita...

Reply #142349 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm now more interested in what policies Stern will implement to make sure this bullsh*t will never happen again.

Such a difficult position, Yi should respect the system and play for the team that selected him, but it will never happen now. The NBA should ban him, but at what cost does this do to the relationship with China???? War War 3 anyone????

*#(@ing Nike and Fegan.....

I'd make him rot in China, and I hope that all GM's take a stand on this and he never see's the day of light in the NBA unless it's with the Bucks.

Yi's agents have now come out and stated that it's not Milwaukee's lack of Chinese people or marketing, but the Bucks roster. Last time I checked they only had two decent bigs in Bogut and CV. They think he won't get court time....

All he has to do is play 2 years and then refuse to sign the rookie extension forcing the Bucks to trade him or lose him for nothing as he becomes a unrestricted free agent.

Reply #142351 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I think David Stern should look into this with some sort of league investigation because a team is essentially being robbed of a draft pick. If it is in fact Fegan blocking all this he should be suspended as an agent in the NBA

Reply #142367 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

IM with you (for once) ELG

Let the Bugger Rot in his shitty Chinese League

The sad thing about it is, no team will want to recruit a Chinese player every again

Reply #142371 | Report this post

Do you even get paid for the national team?

Milwaulkee should have selected Brewer anyway

Reply #142380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's his domestic team that's blocking the move, in the interest of his development for the national team.

Just occurred to me, but I'd say that they could be hellbent on making some noise in Beijing in 2008, no matter the cost?

Reply #142382 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Apparently the Guandong owner has come out and said that this is all lies, made up by the reporter. So who knows what's going on?

Reply #142383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could be that he made the statements as reported, but didn't say that he'd block the move. If you re-read the remarks, it seems feasible.

Reply #142385 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

I'm not sure if this is right, but I read on realgm that maybe the GM's around the League are already making Fegan pay for this.
Two if his clients are Free Agents this off season, Matt Barnes & Ruben Patterson and to date neither player has received an offer, even after both had career seasons in 2006/07!

Reply #142386 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Yi should be forced to go back to making Nike's instead of endorsing them.

If you don't like the system, don't play the game. He has no right to try to force this and his agent should be shot for trying to make it happen.

Reply #142387 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Trouble is Yi sees (or his handlers once again) that Stevie "I`m not in the mood - i have a headache" Francis and Kobe - HECK even DANNY FERRY - were able to get it done when drafted by their sub-optimal teams... (I`d say Yi is more likely to be a Danny Ferry than a Francis or Bryant - but if he looks at history, he must think he has a decent shot)...

Reply #142390 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

Another great point by "ELG". Milwaukee should have drafted brewer. He can play power or small forward and im sure he would stick with the team he got drafted by. Also Milwaukee already knew about Yi's demands before they drafted him so y did they still do it?

I agree let him never play in the NBA, bloody sook.

Reply #142391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brewer can not play power forward. He's purely a two guard and could play some time at the SF.

Brewer played the SF at Florida. Just because he's got great height don't let that convince you he's a powerforward. He doesn't have the build nor the weight (the bloke only weight 84kg) to battle those guys.

He has got a pretty cool nickname..... "The Drunken Dribbler"

Reply #142398 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Brewer play power forward? I don't think so. Maybe you mean Brandon Wright. I also agree that the Bucks should've taken Brewer, but they had Yi as the BPA and took him, probably not knowing that the situation would get THIS far out of control.

I say well done to the Bucks for taking a gamble and not letting outsiders run the show, it's just unfortunate that they may have lost the fight.

Reply #142399 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Whilst not involving Yi it does involve Chinese Basketball.....

I just wonder what goes on in the heads of the honchos of the government's All-China Sports Federation.

It appears that they have come out in the media and criticized Yao Ming for spending to much time getting over the last NBA season, wasting time promoting the Beijing Olympics (outside of Yao I doubt any average person in the Western world could name or recognise a Chinese Olympian) and wasting time on the preparation of his wedding. Far go as he's the only guy that can take China into the medal rounds.....

Take Yao out of the China team and they failed to beat NBA summerleague teams. They'll get slaughtered at the Olympics without him.

I'd laugh if Yao went down just before the Olympics with a mysterious injury and couldn't suit up.

Reply #142419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754