Isaac
Years ago

Sturt Quiz Day question

Yesterday I attended the Sabres' Quiz Day (fundraiser for the ABL program).

A contentious question was posed by Potsie:

Who captained the original USA basketball Dream Team?

My table (four valiant participants, fighting against tables of larger groups!) submitted Larry Bird and Magic Johnson as co-captains.

We were marked incorrect and Potsie claimed that the answer of "Larry Bird" as written in his source book would stand. Two other tables also questioned the answer, including that of Brett Maher and Scott Ninnis.

Anyone got an opinion? Were we right? Even larrybird.com says he was co-captain!

For the record, we were duds in the sporting section (4/10), but masters of the animal kingdom (I might regret saying that!) with 9/10. And Potsie's performance as host was otherwise very good.

Topic #122 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I beleive Jordan, Johnson and Bird were all co-captains.

Reply #930 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think someone said that Jordan was offered tri-captaincy, but turned it down (maybe out of respect to the other two?).

Everything I can find calls Bird co-captain.

Reply #931 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

In Jordans video "Air time" he states he was asked to be co-captain along with Bird and Magic. He said he didn't want to because "it was a heck of a responsibility to keep all the egos in check", and that was something he didn't want to deal with. Watch the vid.

Reply #933 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

D-lin's right on the $$$

Reply #940 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, why didn't you say anything about this event on this forum. Some people might have liked to go along if they knew about it unless it sold out without advertising.

Reply #945 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First I heard of it was only a couple of days beforehand from Oscar getting numbers for a table and I assumed since no one had mentioned it to me that they were full up. Looked like they had 20 tables of around 10.

Anyone promoting an event for their club is welcome to send stuff through - if I'm not promoting anything else, I'm happy to help out if I've got the time.

Reply #953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754