SVD
Years ago

Who Would Win NBA One on One

Just read a question on Yahoo Questions - who would win a one on one contest out of anyone in the NBA.

One the answers was Tayshan Prince - thought this was a stupid answer so want to know what you think - of course this is totally subjective as we will never know the answer but thought it maybe fun on a slow Hoops SA Day

I would say ... KG, no Kobe ... nah ... KG!

Topic #12210 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Le Bron , hops , ball handling, d , can finish strong and not many can handle him off the dribble

Reply #142476 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Tayshaun can generally Kent.

Reply #142478 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Kobe would win it hands down. He's got good height and speed, as well as killer moves to get him to the hole.

Reply #142479 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"Le Bron , hops , ball handling, d , can finish strong and not many can handle him off the dribble"

Were you watching the NBA finals?? They guy can't shoot. You'd step back and dare him to hit a jumper.

Reply #142480 | Report this post

My money would be on Kobe.

The only skill he seems to have a problem with is passing, which wouldn't really matter in 1 on 1.

I think him and lebron would be a good game to see, but I think Kobe has a more devastating arsenal of moves; he's too quick to stand right up to, too good a shooter from pretty much anywhere to give any space, and has some decent post moves for a 2 guard.

He also has that killer instinct where he refuses to give up and lose (but sometimes only when it suits him, which it would, in this case).

Reply #142482 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

unfortunately I have to also go with Kobe... One on one he's pretty unstoppable.

Dare we mention a Kobe vs MJ matchup or will that get locked...

Reply #142483 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Rat10 did i say he was a good jump shooter? How many 1 on 1 games are won by shooters..get to the rim ...game over. Bizzy how many consecutive points did LBJ score agianst Detroit? , surely that was the moment for TP to show the d?

Reply #142484 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Not disagreeing with ya Kent, just saying generally Tay has had LBJ number.

Kobe vs MJ - now blood would have to be spilt, don't think you can find any two players with more killer instinct and will to win. IMO MJ would just get it purely because he is somewhat smarter than Kobe.

Current NBA players Kobe would win hands down, you play right up on him he blows by you off the dribble, you step back of him and he hits jumpshots, hell you can stop him going of the dribble get him caught in a corner, get your 7ft mate to run in off the sidelines and double team and he will hit a fade-away jumper on both of your heads.

Reply #142485 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Kent I think if you can shoot the jumper and get to the hole you are going to be so much harder to guard and more likely to win.. not sure about the Lebron being a good defender either

My money would be on Dirk Nowitzki - he can shoot over Kobe all day long, get a hand to his shot and post him up.. Maybe KG instead, and also perhaps TMAC?

Reply #142486 | Report this post

Dirk cant defend.

if steve nash started with the ball, i might put my money on him. but he cant defend either

I'd go for t-mac or Kobe

Reply #142489 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

no contest, kobe would dominate, best one-on-one player the game has ever seen, too many weapons and ways to score

Reply #142492 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You forgot about MJ jules.

Reply #142499 | Report this post

And wilt chamberlain!

Reply #142500 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

if we r going old school my money would be on larry bird

Reply #142504 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol elg...I was expecting that earlier in the thread from you..

Reply #142506 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

old school, I like MJ or Magic...

Reply #142507 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

Dirk Nowitzki due to his Saxaphone skills

Reply #142512 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Slightly off topic but what does everyone think is more amazing - Lebron's 29/30 final points or Kobe's 81?

Reply #142515 | Report this post

the hamma, Dirk would lose in the first round, to veteran Michael Doleac

Reply #142517 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

The Big O!

Reply #142518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would agree with kobe as the winner. Blast past the defender for a 3-0 lead. Then what do u do? sag off him? so he hits the j! Impossible to defend that human being 1 on 1!

Reply #142520 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Reply #142521 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Sorry! Above anonymous was me

Reply #142522 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Shaq or Hakeem in his prime anyone?

Reply #142523 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Lads, it would be SHAQ all the way. who would be able to stop him. offensively he would just back his way in then slam it on their head. defensively he only has to stand a couple of metres in front of the ring and hit em hard when they drive then the will think twice about driving, we all know the stars in the NBA shoot at less that 50% so its a no brainer shaq would pull down all the boards and then brink out the power moves.

Reply #142530 | Report this post

Everyone in the nba shoots 50% because they invented this thing called defense. Kobe could hit a hundred shots in a row from the elbow.

Reply #142537 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

The final would be Michael Redd v Kobe in todays league. Those two, when they are on, are dropping shots from the carpark .

Winner -Kobe becuase he is a better defensive player.

Reply #142548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One on One Hakeem would dominate Shaq because in his prime his footwork and shotblocking skills were insane, he's prolly the fastest centre ever footspeed wise

Reply #142549 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Hakeem all the way!!!

Todays game, Kove v Lebron would go for weeks, kobe would mix it up driving and jumpers, lebron would just keep pounding inside and is just too strong to stop!

Reply #142562 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

ELG just coz Dirk use to torch your boy Nash in one on ones in Dallas doesnt mean you have to throw Doleacs name around

Reply #142577 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah I think everyone is forgetting the defensive part of this.

Kobe is without doubt the best 1 on 1 OFFENSIVE player going around in the world right now, however much I hate to admit it. He is clutch, too.

I agree with igotmadskills. Could Kobe defend Shaq in the post? no way! Shaq would dunk on his head every time. Kobe would still hit 60-70% of jumpers, but there is no way he is getting to the rack on Shaq.

Everyone is just thinking of Kobe because the system he plays in is designed to get him shots, which he gets. Shaq is still normally double teamed to stop him because he is so fat he can push any one player out of the way.

Shaq vs. Kobe 1 on 1, Shaq kill Kobe in the post EVERY TIME.

Reply #142581 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

This is why in my orginal post I said KG - could defend most guards (at least enough to get some stops so he could get into offense) and would be able to take care of the centres

If we are going historical - Pippen???

Reply #142593 | Report this post

funk  
Years ago

How many people could stop shaq one on one with no help D...no one!

Reply #142598 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Wilt.

Bill Russell?

Reply #142607 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

wow...i did forget mj...wha-..what is wrong with me...i feel pretty bad right now..i need to shower

Reply #142609 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

With most of the possible match ups, I'd back whoever wins the coin toss and gets first possession!

Especially if "score, you keep it". Most of the guys mentioned above could score on anyone, anytime 9.5/10.

So guy who starts with the ball, will win ;)

Reply #142615 | Report this post

doof doof  
Years ago

A few years ago they a player hosted a 1v1 tournament with players for Charity.

Iverson ended up winning

Reply #142705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it were held now...

Final 4 would be
Kobe
Lebron
KG
T-Mac

Winner
Kobe

Reply #142713 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

If we were going back a bit what about Karl Malone? Timmy Duncan anyone?

Reply #142759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going back?? MJ. Nuf said.

Reply #142766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hakeem footwork to at least stop guards strength for the big man insane post moves and drives and a good jumpshot

Reply #142793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

T-MAC

Reply #142797 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754